The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-03-2023, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Out of the mics above, only the akg ones are available
I second duplemeter's suggestion for a Roswell mic. They won't ship to Singapore?
Old 12-03-2023, 06:08 PM

A sleeper mic is the 3U Audio Warbler. There are several models, but the MkI and MkII have darker, vintage sounds and both even have a built-in EQ switch that can roll off the top end even more. I have a not-too-beefy tenor voice and use the Warbler MkI; you can hear it on my vocals on my most recent 4 videos (see sig for link).

The cardioid-only versions run just $300 USD and are available through their eBay store or you can email them directly via their web site. You can also get a multipattern version (the "D" models) for $389 USD.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Check out Mojave MA 200 SN Cardioid

Aloha Ippier,

For what you are looking for - fattening the upper mid's & bottom presence for a warm, full-bodied sound - I'd check out the Mojave MA-200 SN Cardiod Tube LDC ($1079 new). It's a TUBE condenser mic that is really good at fattening up voices & guitars. And it's top end is natural, neutral & unhyped, & fantastic for its "ease" & detailing. A VERY balanced, well-made, full-sounding high quality LDC mic. Quite a value!

https://mojaveaudio.com/ma-200/

The Mojave MA-200SN been around for about 15 years now & was designed by the great David Royer who personally tests every one of his mic's before it goes out. This tube condenser's design was wholly inspired by the great Classic Neumann U67. In fact, it's almost a dead-on match by comparison. I even like the MA-200SN better than the U67 for some qualities, like it's high-end.

From my auditionings, this Tube LDC sounds better than most of the LDC's mentioned previously here, especially the AKG C414B which though versatile, is not really a primary studio vocal mic, the underwhelming (even for the price) Warm Audio mic's, & the much-overrated, mid-rangey & blah AT 4050.

Again, it's ALL ABOUT how a vocal mic pairs with YOUR voice, Ippier. So, Audition First!

I've used the MA-200SN successfully on male & female voices. This LDC provides a very full & natural Tube vocal sound with more detailing than just about all LDC's in its price range. I loved it on my voice & still have one around for messing around in the studio, but rarely now.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-satin-nickel

You can often find Mojave MA-200SN's for $700-900 Used. Gearspace is another good USED source besides Reverb. It's a great vocal LDC mic for the money, & very versatile in the studio.

Of course, AGAIN, you must audition many vocal mic's before you buy, Ippier, preferrably on your home recording signal chain. It's the only way to know for sure if any vocal mic works with your voice & gear.

You might check out some of the broadcast dynamic vocal mic's too for your application. The Shure SM7b is a favorite, modestly priced & has an exceptionally "Full Voice." I also really like the full sounding AEA R84 ribbon LDC, not necessarily as a primary vocal mic though.

Good luck with your auditions, Ippier.

alohachris

PS: I love the MA-200SN LDC on stereo strumming tracks as well. Really captures that sound perfectly.-alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 12-03-2023 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I second duplemeter's suggestion for a Roswell mic. They won't ship to Singapore?

Need to check that out , worried about warranty issues as well
Old 12-04-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Ippier,

For what you are looking for - fattening the upper mid's & bottom presence for a warm, full-bodied sound - I'd check out the Mojave MA-200 SN Cardiod Tube LDC ($1079 new). It's a TUBE condenser mic that is really good at fattening up voices & guitars. And it's top end is natural, neutral & unhyped, & fantastic for its "ease" & detailing. A VERY balanced, well-made, full-sounding high quality LDC mic. Quite a value!

The Mojave MA-200SN been around for about 15 years now & was designed by the great David Royer who personally tests every one of his mic's before it goes out. This tube condenser's design was wholly inspired by the great Classic Neumann U67. In fact, it's almost a dead-on match by comparison. I even like the MA-200SN better than the U67 for some qualities, like it's high-end.

From my auditionings, this Tube LDC sounds better than most of the LDC's mentioned previously here, especially the AKG C414B which though versatile, is not really a primary studio vocal mic, the underwhelming (even for the price) Warm Audio mic's, & the much-overrated, mid-rangey & blah AT 4050.

Again, it's ALL ABOUT how a vocal mic pairs with YOUR voice, Ippier. So, Audition First!

I've used the MA-200SN successfully on male & female voices. This LDC provides a very full & natural Tube vocal sound with more detailing than just about all LDC's in its price range. I loved it on my voice & still have one around for messing around in the studio, but rarely now.

You can often find Mojave MA-200SN's for $700-900 Used. Gearspace is another good USED source besides Reverb. It's a great vocal LDC mic for the money, & very versatile in the studio.

Of course, AGAIN, you must audition many vocal mic's before you buy, Ippier, preferrably on your home recording signal chain. It's the only way to know for sure if any vocal mic works with your voice & gear.

You might check out some of the broadcast dynamic vocal mic's too for your application. The Shure SM7b is a favorite, modestly priced & has an exceptionally "Full Voice." I also really like the full sounding AEA R84 ribbon LDC, not necessarily as a primary vocal mic though.

alohachris

PS: I love the MA-200SN LDC on stereo strumming tracks as well. Really captures that sound perfectly.-alohachris-

What a ringing endorsement ! Thanks!
Old 12-04-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
A sleeper mic is the 3U Audio Warbler. There are several models, but the MkI and MkII have darker, vintage sounds and both even have a built-in EQ switch that can roll off the top end even more. I have a not-too-beefy tenor voice and use the Warbler MkI; you can hear it on my vocals on my most recent 4 videos (see sig for link).

The cardioid-only versions run just $300 USD and are available through their eBay store or you can email them directly via their web site. You can also get a multipattern version (the "D" models) for $389 USD.
If the original poster is in Singapore (which someone implied was the case), then getting a 3U mic shipped to them should be no problem - they're shipped direct from China.

And I imagine 3U would accept a return if it really didn't suit the voice.

I've not tried one but I've listened to a lot of the videos. I'm quite tempted by the simplest, cheapest one - the transformerless Teal.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Ippier,

alohachris

Hi was wondering about the Mojave 201 as well, how does that compare?
There’s a local dealer I realised
Old 12-05-2023, 08:16 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Hi was wondering about the Mojave 201 as well, how does that compare? There’s a local dealer I realised
The 201 is a nice, mellow LDC. It is also remarkably rugged. I was in rehearsals for a rather large outdoor show when suddenly the weather predictions shifted and we were warned of an impending storm. There were three front-of-house consoles handling the various elements and I alone had 70 inputs, so you know we weren't going to be able to pull all those mics down. Instead we "bagged" the entire show, with plastic bags secured over every mic.

The next day when before we cranked up for final rehearsals, I went around unbagging and checking all the mics. The two Mojave 201fets I was using for drum overheads were inverted above the kit. There was a haze of moisture around one of the XLR connectors. I unplugged and un-clipped the mic and about a thimble full of water ran out into my palm. I spent the next hour walking around, tapping the mic into my palm until no more water came out. I fired it up and voile'! It worked. The AKG 414comb I had on the harp didn't fare so well. It ended up hors du combat but the engineers were able to get it running again the next day.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-06-2023, 06:07 AM

The local store doesn't have the Mojave MA-200 / 201-Fet in store for demo. All they have is the Mojave MA-50. I'll probably drop by the store to give the MA-50 a test drive and base my purchase decisions upon that.

Thanks everyone here for the suggestions!
Old 12-06-2023, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I'm a tenor with a not particularly attractive or trained/skilled voice. I've long been aware that large diaphragm condenser mics are what one is "supposed" to use on vocals. You've asked for advice on one, and you're getting that. All good.

I'll agree with what's said upthread: many lower-end condenser mics have a strident upper end that does my voice no favors. But now let me offer an alternative that you can ignore if you're sure you want to go the LDC route.

In a typical untreated bedroom/home office I prefer a dynamic mic.* My current most-used one is the ElectroVoice RE-20. I do use an inline amp (Cloudlifter), as it doesn't put out the output that a condenser does into the interface. I work fairly close to the RE-20, and to my ear as I listen to recordings I've made, it picks up less than room noise or unwanted reflections and room node anomalies in my small home office--as well as being a little less likely to "hear" unwanted environmental noises like traffic outside. Speaking just of sound quality though, my conclusion is that it suits my voice well.

Be aware that I'm likely not as skilled or knowledgeable as others here, and that my choice may be eccentric. My reading tells me that condenser mics are great for recording more subtle detail, quieter crooning voices, and best for distance micing. Voices and tastes in recorded vocals differ, so my experience may not be yours.

*In my studio space, I have an "acoustic guitar recording station" setup with two SDC mics for my guitars and a LDC for my vocals, all 3 of them are Warm Audio mics that have their advocates and detractors here in the under $1000 class. In my studio space I'm working farther away from the mics, so the condenser's sensitivity plus is welcomed. I do have occasional problems with outside noise being picked up though.

Thanks frank I missed this - I do have a Shure sm58 dynamic mic that I’ve been recording with which does fine. Just looking for something “better”, not so sure with other dynamic mics are a leap up?
Old 12-07-2023, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Go with the Mojave MA-200 TUBE LDC!

Aloha Ippier,

The Mojave MA 50 has nothing in common with the MA-200 TUBE LDC other than they are both Cardioid only mic's.. I'm sorry you can't hear one locally, Ippier. There's a HUGE difference. You cannot extrapolate the qualities of the MA-200 with a listen on an MA-50 - sorry, cannot! That TUBE smoothness on vocals with a clear top end is what you need.

You could easily audition an MA-200 from Sweetwater, Soundpure or Vintage King for shipping costs & try it at home. Not in a hurry right? Best way to audition any gear is at home, on your rig - my mantra. Online Video's tell you nothing about gear because they are not professionally done or honest in most cases. And the sharing formats compress the heck out of them.

Or call your local recording studio's to see if they have an MA-200 to audition (Or buy an hour). Same with rental houses. It's a very popular mic - because it sounds really great - smooth & detailed too, not shrill at all in the upper mid's - easy.

Sound on Sound reviews are the most respected - their reviews are not hyped on items they advertise. SOS' MA-50 review was "nice" but it seems that it works best on things like drums & guitars, & not as a full sounding primary studio vocal mic like the MA-200 TUBE. Reading between the lines, the MA-50 fills a price niche for Mojave (vs. Neumann), & is affordable, but it's nothing other than "Nice" & " affordable." Your voice doesn't need a "sibilant" mic (from MA 50 SS review in 'Cons'), Ippier. Every review RE: MA-200 out there is more than positive.

Therefore, if price is the concern, you should look for a USED Mojave MA-200 tube LDC. It's the LDC you want for your specific voice concerns, Ippier. It's worth at least an audition, IMO. Reverb currently has Mojave MA-200's available for $525 (needs some stuff) & 850l And it's a great vocal studio cardioid LCD for Just $1079 new! It's a real great deal on a quality Tube LDC.

Audition before you buy, Ippier. Let your voice & ears decide! The MA-200 TUBE LDC is a real winner that I think will work for your voice, Ippier. Try it out, but NOT the much lesser MA 50. Go with the proven winner.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 12-07-2023 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:48 PM

I hadn't factored in another consideration - I live like 50meters away from an expressway, there is ambient noise from there.
Would a condensor like the MA-200, MA-201 be still a wise choice? As I heard that they pick up everything.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:14 PM

This is my go-to condenser mic. It is very popular for acoustic performers, for voice and stringed instruments. I like mine a lot. Hand made in the US.

https://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/produ...ophones/edwina
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 12-08-2023, 10:48 PM

If your voice is thin, my recommendations are not LDCs.... at least not within your budget.

Beyer M88 is awesome on a lot of voices. Huge proximity effect, great extended frequency response, I'm always tweaking the EQ on the way in when I do Vox with it, but I like the way it sounds really close

An AEA R84 will also thicken up your voice nicely.

50 meters from an expressway the M88 a better choice than most any mic out there. You could also consider Sennheiser 441... probably a little "softer" sounding, but very nice.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

Last edited by j3ffr0; 12-08-2023 at 10:53 PM. Reason: 50 meters
Old 12-08-2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
This is my go-to condenser mic. It is very popular for acoustic performers, for voice and stringed instruments. I like mine a lot. Hand made in the US.

https://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/produ...ophones/edwina
I wouldn't recommend that particular mic for this person. The Edwina is pretty midrangey, and if OP's voice is already thin, it'll accentuate that.

The ETL Myrtle is much warmer sounding (and I own both).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD