The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Default "Secret" Taylor dealers?

Well, here's something I haven't seen before. There's an auction on eBay for a "mint" Taylor 816CE (I won't list it here, but it's very easy to find, as it's the only one of its kind being auctioned right now), and it's going for a buy-it-now price $2990. That seemed kinda high to me for a used guitar, so I sent them an e-mail asking if they knew that for $9 more, a buyer could get a new one from a Taylor dealer at the Minimum Advertised Price that includes the lifetime warranty (I didn't mention the better bargains available from dealers who price below MAP... it wasn't relevant). Here's the response I got:

"Hi there, Actually, our guitars are brand new as we are Taylor Dealers. Our agreement with them doesn't allow us to list them as new on eBay, but they come with a lifetime warranty and are brand new just the same. We use ebay mostly for marketing."

A quick look at Taylor's web site showed me they weren't listed as a dealer.

Seems fishy to me. Has anyone ever heard of a dealer agreement like this?
Music: The original mood-altering, non-fattening wonder drug. Ask your doctor if music is right for you. Common side effects include, but are not limited to, spontaneous happiness, increased memory and motor function, connection to others, movement of the feet and head, and the occasional persistence of catchy melodies.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:29 AM

contact taylor to see what they say.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-14-2012, 12:01 PM

Yes call taylor and see what gives.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
contact taylor to see what they say.
I probably will, but I thought I'd check with you folks first. I'd hate to call Taylor on Monday and have their customer-service rep sigh and say, "Yeah, they're part of our little-known "Used-is-New Program."
Music: The original mood-altering, non-fattening wonder drug. Ask your doctor if music is right for you. Common side effects include, but are not limited to, spontaneous happiness, increased memory and motor function, connection to others, movement of the feet and head, and the occasional persistence of catchy melodies.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Could it be that authorized dealers are not allowed to sell on eBay? Does this eBay retailer have a non-eBay website that you could check out?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:27 PM

Something about it just seems off. I can't picture in my mind a successful, profitable, professional company like Taylor feeling the need to make unnecessary back room deals like that. It sounds like a line the seller is feeding you to make you feel comfortable. The guitars themselves might be fine and stranger things have happened in business, so the guy might be telling the truth, but I'd sure as heck check with Taylor about that warranty question at the very minimum.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 PM

Are they selling "2nds" and have to list them as used, but they have never been sold before, so they tell you they are new ?
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM

All sorts of weird stuff relates to Ebay. Noticed several items in the Auctions forum that listed guitars that were several years old as "Played less than 1 hour". Sure, right.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Are they selling "2nds" and have to list them as used, but they have never been sold before, so they tell you they are new ?
Good question. If so, the ethical thing to do would be to sell them as seconds (and not charge MAP for them).
Old 04-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Could it be that authorized dealers are not allowed to sell on eBay? Does this eBay retailer have a non-eBay website that you could check out?
It does, Dru. The site says they sell all kinds of guitar brands... but it doesn't say they are an official dealer for Taylor (or anyone else).
Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM

Taylor's policy for their dealers states that the manufacturer will NOT honor a warranty if the guitar is sold on ebay.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:26 PM

I bought a "used" Taylor GA4 on eBay.

I contacted him to ask a few questions and he told me he was a Taylor dealer and the guitar was new with the full warranty. He had to list it as used because he was selling it below MAP.

I checked it out - his store was a Taylor dealer - they had their Taylor Road Show the same week that I bought the guitar.

It came in the Taylor shipping box with all of the Taylor paperwork.

I checked the auction in question - it's not the same seller I dealt with.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
All sorts of weird stuff relates to Ebay. Noticed several items in the Auctions forum that listed guitars that were several years old as "Played less than 1 hour". Sure, right.
That's what I said in some recent ads. I have a bunch that have never been played that I'll be selling in the next ten years or so.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:25 PM

It does seem odd.

I know from past experience that sometimes shops trade guitars with one another and end up selling a brand new guitar that they're not a dealer for. I once considered buying such a guitar and the owner of the shop told me to declare on the warranty card that I bought it from the other shop he got the guitar from--that way the warranty would be good. Didn't buy the guitar in the end, so it was a moot point.

Could this be a similar situation?

I don't know how widespread this practice is, but the shops in question were both small, independent operations, and each owner seemed interested in trading for a guitar that would be an unusual item given their usual stock, something they hoped would be easier to sell. This was years ago before internet sales became ubiquitous.

Last edited by Larpy; 04-14-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Taylor doesn't have "2nds." If something doesn't pass muster as a "first" it gets destroyed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion