The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-15-2023, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Tracking headphones: replacement pads?

I’ve had Sennheiser HD 380 Pro closed-back headphones since Methuselah was a corporal. They, like me, are getting long in the tooth, and the ear pads and headband pad are fraying. I’m finally admitting they need replacement. Not too long ago, I went idly searching and I thought I saw some available then, but I’ve dragged my feet, and today I can’t find any through a painstaking Google search. Even the newer model, HD 280 Pro, has been discontinued, although pads are still available for them. (No, they don’t fit the 380.)

Does anyone have some insights into who might have some of these still on hand?

I really like these phones and would not want to buy a whole new pair.

But if there are simply no parts anywhere, I might just go ahead and get the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, and I’d go with the 80 ohm, even though I have the 250 ohm version of the DT 990 Pro for mixing. That’s because I also use the HD 380 set with my iPhone and iPad as well as for tracking. The problem with that is that the 80 ohm DT 770 comes with a straight cable — not convenient.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 12-15-2023 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:05 PM

Sennheiser has a live chat option on their support site. Have you tried that to see if they can get you the parts? It worth a shot.

A couple of years ago the headphone division was sold off & are no longer Sennheiser proper. I know my contacts at Sennheiser can't get me headphones or headphone parts anymore. I hope the spin=off company hasn;t dropped the ball on replacement parts.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-16-2023, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

I tried the chat. It was a bot, and a bad one at that. All I got was a loop
to nowhere.

How sad to see Sennheiser headphones fade away. My first audiophile phones, in the 70s, were a fantastic ultra lightweight open set with bright yellow foam pads. I think the model was A424 or something like that. Seventy-five bucks’ worth of sonic luxury. Ironically, the only part of them that wore out were the pads. The foam eventually dried up and crumbled, and I lost the thread after the second pads disintegrated.

Looks like the DT 770 is in my future. Now I’m thinking it might be a good idea to buy spare pads now for both those and the DT 990, and just store away the sealed pads for down the road.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:44 AM
Guitar Gourmet

HERE are about a million aftermarket pads for the HD380 on Amazon. Somehow I had become the replacement pad guru for my company's studios, probably because I've got the patience. Here's a tip: If the ear pads are easy to mount, they will easily slip off. You want them to be agonizing to mount. We are talking shaking fingers frustrating. I do the replacements for multiple brands and they are all hard to mount.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-16-2023, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

I had some Sennheiser 5xx series and the company no longer had replacements and a 3rd party set I got were so bad I tossed the whole pair into the Goodwill basket. I also wrote off Sennheiser (though I still have a set of 280 Pros). In some fairness it was probably the inner “grill” material more than the pads themselves, but without a replacement that preserves the audio quality, your headphones simply become disposable at some point.

I’ve had very good service from Beyer-Dynamic for parts and even service, FWIW. Of course, everything changed in the past few years and I don’t have current experience to relate. I will say that the design of my ancient Sonys has not required replacement of the diaphragm cover so even though I’m on the 3rd or 4th set of pads (last ones 3rd party) and second headband, they still sound great.
Old 12-16-2023, 09:47 AM

I've noticed that pads can significantly change the sound of headphones.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

After reading some reviews of inexpensive aftermarket pads, I decided to bid farewell to my long-beloved HD 380s. They’re for tracking over prior tracks after all, and sound bleed through ineffective pads defeats the purpose.

DT 770 Pro arriving tomorrow. Curious about 250 ohm, I tried my 250 ohm DT 990s out with my iPhone and iPad. Sure enough, they needed full volume, but at that level the sound was a bit too loud for extended listening. I found that one tap down from full was plenty loud for casual listening in a quiet room, the only setting I’ll use them in. Their primary purpose will be for tracking, often with a quiet acoustic guitar over previous tracks.

So I went with 250 ohm. My Motu M6 drives the DT 990s, so it should be OK. The coiled cable sealed the deal (not available on the 80 ohm version).

Perhaps more important, with a careful A/B between the HD 380s and DT 990s at comparable volume, I heard shrillness through the HD 380s on some female vocals, but smoothness with the DT 990s. That was a surprise, and it eased my Sennheisers’ passing.

Now, I hope I remember sometime next year to pick up one or two sets of replacement pads to set aside for the inevitable deterioration.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
HERE are about a million aftermarket pads for the HD380 on Amazon. Somehow I had become the replacement pad guru for my company's studios, probably because I've got the patience. Here's a tip: If the ear pads are easy to mount, they will easily slip off. You want them to be agonizing to mount. We are talking shaking fingers frustrating. I do the replacements for multiple brands and they are all hard to mount.

Bob
I have Shure SH1540 headphones, and with them I just learned the meaning of "we are talking shaking fingers frustrating" when reinstalling a pad
Old 12-16-2023, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I have Shure SH1540 headphones, and with them I just learned the meaning of "we are talking shaking fingers frustrating" when reinstalling a pad
But at least they come with an extra set of pads and cables. Love those cans. Use them all the time while recording.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 12-17-2023, 08:13 AM

I love my Beyerdynamic DT-770s and replaced the pads 3 or 4 years ago.

I do remember watching a video that demonstrated the "easiest" way to install the new pads, with a few tips on making the job less hair-pullingly aggravating. I seem to remember something about making sure the pads were warm?

The video may still be out there in Youtube land...

Different strokes thing, but I dislike the coiled cord variety and often use mine with a 10 foot extension for tracking. I like my headphone cable to dress from the rear when there's a guitar involved.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I love my Beyerdynamic DT-770s and replaced the pads 3 or 4 years ago.... I dislike the coiled cord variety and often use mine with a 10 foot extension for tracking.
I also despise coiled headphone cords, and I bought a pair of 770s because the 80 ohm version (and the 32 ohm) had a straight cable. Interestingly, the 250 ohm version's cord is coiled, as is that of the 990. Tbh, I also think they are clearer sounding and easier to track with than my Sennheiser HD280s, although the Beyers earcups/pads aren't as tight (on my small head size) and bleed a bit more.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

One of the first things I did with my DT770s (250Ω) was have the coiled cord replaced with a straight one. Beyer's service referred me to some person that was their repair person for the US. I pictured some guy in his basement, but it was turned around quick, and cost me $25 + my "to" shipping. Still going strong many years later. (Only the 2nd set of pads and they get used almost daily. The 280 Pros have a coiled cord and probably why they don't get used much, TBH.)
Old 12-17-2023, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

When I'm sitting at the desk, a straight cable is more clutter than I like. So that's the primary reason I like a coiled cable.

When tracking with guitar, I also drape the cable over my shoulder. For that, I use a 10' extension cable.

The DT770s came today. I'm going to like them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD