The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:03 PM

I was exposed to high quality guitars from a young age (12 years old), that was 40 years ago or there abouts. One of my mentors had a Martin D28, my Dad had purchased his Gibson Dove. We had some other folk that had an Alvarez, boy, I could tell the difference switching back and forth. Keeping in tune, intonation, general ease of play. At the age of 12, I could not have been happy with that Alvarez or another low priced acoustic. I was spoiled,

H

If you have never been exposed to playing a high end guitar, you MAY have a chance to stay happy, I highly doubt it
Old 10-23-2014, 12:11 PM

Default Yamaha F335

At this point in my studies I'm a cowboy chord playin', dyed in the wool campfire guitarist.
More than happy with my inexpensive Yamaha Dread.
I'm sure as my skill grows so will my GAS for a nicer guitar

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 10-23-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I have seen many signatures on this forum, where it seems many out there have several high-end, expensive acoustics.

(I need to be careful with my question, else the bashers will come-out..)

Anyway, point is, does anyone out there own just a low-priced guitar, and is fine with that?

Is it really necessary to own several expensive acoustics if you are just noodling-around at home?

ok, let the personal attacks begin..!
I recently bought a Taylor Big Baby (the Spruce top one) and it sounds amazing. i think there are two of them? i bought the more expensive one, around $429 i believe? And it sounds really good! Almost like a $800+ guitar ! I bought it just for traveling, because its super light, and it sounds pretty great, has more of an electric looking neck because its bolted on. It sounds great, it has volume, its loud and bright and has great control. Its pretty comfy size, might be a bit big if you are a tiny person though, definitely good size for average size players or big sized players! Give it a shot, you won't regret it (in my opinion it sounds much much better than Taylor's GS Mini that everyone adores). This thing still doesnt sound quite high end, but compare to some high end guitars, i like it much more. I like it so much i even stopped playing my higher end Breedlove for 2 months!

KEY TIP: i think for lower end guitars, Spruce tops will sound more satisfying than anything. Its bright. Probably won't go too wrong with it.
OTHER THAN THIS HERE ARE SOME OTHER GREAT OPTIONS: (and ones to stay away from, PERSONAL OPINION)
-Takamines have some low range guitars that sound pretty good for its price
-Jasmines too.
-Personally i feel like yamaha low end guitars sounds super cheap, so i would stay far far away from those and i simply just don't like the sound of most Yamaha guitars, they sound very plain.
- theres some Fender acoustics that arent too expensive, my friends seem to like them but i find them just normal...
-you can try some cheaper Martin ones that are Spruce tops, they should sound pretty decent.
-SEAGULL guitars (canadian brand, there will be tax if u are in USA i believe) have some pretty good ones for its price!
-if u dont have TRYPOPHOBIA, then the classic OVATION guitars about 400 ish are pretty nice too for its price.
-SIGMA guitars are great, they are a smaller company so you will get more out of what you are paying. I don't really know the lower end models though, all the ones i've tried are from 500 to 800, but they all sound like a 1.5k guitar to me, especially the spruce top and rosewood body models.
-NORMANS, My brother got one, it sounds pretty good and its cheap
-Gorts, are okay.

IF YOU ARE WILLING TO GO UP THE PRICE BY A BIT (so far i've been classifying "low end" as price ranges going from 100 to 500)
-SIGMA guitars offer really really good sounding stuff at around 800 ish and up (even some cheaper ones are great!) im not sure how it sounds with a lot of strumming though. Since i mostly play percussive fingerstyle, but honestly it should sound pretty amazing
-SEAGULLS are great too, i personally cannot accept the headstock's look, but they sound great
-TAYLORS, at 800, you can find a decent taylor, 114ce sounds decent
-basically any of the other big brands should have decent stuff at 800. but i'd have to say SIGMA guitars sounds really good for its prices, again, idk about strumming though. it sounded fine with i strummed with hands, and awesome when i plucked.

Last edited by Zordinary; 10-23-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Anyway, point is, does anyone out there own just a low-priced guitar, and is fine with that?
It depends on how you define low-priced.

Twenty-odd years ago I bought my Alvarez 5022. It was around $400. At that time, being young and poor, I didn't think of it as low-priced, but it could be put in that category. It's only worth $200 today. But it's near and dear to me. It was my main (and usually only) guitar for many years. I was fine with that. I added a $300 Epiphone EJ200 a few years ago. Until I put in my order for an OM-15m this week, I was content with those two low-priced acoustics.

I guess I've always equated my seriousness with the level of guitar I should buy. In other words, I saw no point in paying over $1000 for something I was mostly noodling around with or keeping in a case. Plus, money was tight for many years. I just couldn't justify that expense.

Since I've been studying finger style more seriously the last year or so, I figure it was time to buy something nicer.

That said, I've had no problem spending money on electrics and amps over the years I don't know why. But I do know that it's time to weed out the crowd of unplayed gear gathering dust in my closet.

Last edited by ADK; 10-23-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:17 PM

I played a Takamine EF349 exclusively for 20+ years. I wasn't giggin' back then ... I was sluggin' it out in corporate hell raising a family and such. No time or money for guitars. That paid off, I retired early and do nothing but play and sing. Even now I have just four good/great acoustic guitars, and still have the old Tak (but it never gets played anymore, it's just nostalgic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
I was exposed to high quality guitars from a young age (12 years old), that was 40 years ago or there abouts. One of my mentors had a Martin D28, my Dad had purchased his Gibson Dove. We had some other folk that had an Alvarez, boy, I could tell the difference switching back and forth. Keeping in tune, intonation, general ease of play. At the age of 12, I could not have been happy with that Alvarez or another low priced acoustic. I was spoiled,

H

If you have never been exposed to playing a high end guitar, you MAY have a chance to stay happy, I highly doubt it
The low end guitars of 40 years ago are a whole lot different than that of today. I recently acquired a really low end guitar the difference from that to a Yamaha fg is astounding from the fg to an l series not near as wide and from an l to say a Taylor 3 or 4 series it's even less dramatic and becomes more an issue of preference and desire. Not knocking your gaggle of Gibson's or Martin's just saying writing off a 200 dollar guitar made today because of a 50 dollar guitar 40 years ago is not fair.

The most recent guitar I purchased was my lil Fender in my sig... love that little thing. I love the other two as well but its got nothing to do with the price point and has everything to do with what it does for you.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-23-2014, 12:43 PM

All you happy with your low-priced acoustics can contact me about your other guitars.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have seen many signatures on this forum, where it seems many out there have several high-end, expensive acoustics.
Yep, that's correct

Quote:
(I need to be careful with my question, else the bashers will come-out..).
As long as you don't bash those with "several high-end, expensive acoustics", you should be fine.

Quote:
Many do

Quote:
Is it really necessary to own several expensive acoustics if you are just noodling-around at home?.
Necessary, nah. But what does necessity have to do with it?

Quote:
ok, let the personal attacks begin..!
Should be no reason for that.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 10-23-2014, 01:00 PM

One word : USED

After accumulating collection of around 12 guitars couple years back and selling off all of them over time, it is used for me. Or extremely low priced new instrument blemoshed, scratch and dent etc.
Just a couple days ago I purchased used Blueridge BR341 for $300. This included nice arch top hardshell case and guitar came with Dazzo pickup ($200) installed and set up as well. Considering when new these retail $650 to $700 plus it was a great deal.
An all solid wood instrument, great tone and playability with good construction. Currently it is the most expensive instrument in my small collection. At present I have Blueridge, Harmony H950 acoustic archtop and '98 Fernandes Strat.
Play what you want to as long as it works for you.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:07 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrod View Post
Of course I am also of the mindset that almost all guitars are so hideously overpriced nowadays it isn't even funny.

Maybe the true handmade stuff is worth $2-3k but the Taylors, Martins and such that are mass produced and hand finished are not worth one of my paychecks.
Dang! I wish I made 2-3k per pay check.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:13 PM

I play a Korean Ovation. A 1778TX-5 I got for 600 bucks. I love the thing and see no reason to go up in price any. I could to. And I have played many high priced guitars, but I just like my Ovation and that's the only one that I have. Just enjoy what you have or get. I think everyone on here agrees with that.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:16 PM

Default anybody happy with just a low-priced acoustic

Yes..............I was 52 years ago> not anymore!
Old 10-23-2014, 01:20 PM

LOL, LOL, LOL, Your sig kills me JPG!
Old 10-23-2014, 01:21 PM

Just play what makes you happy.

If someone has disposable income and wants to buy high end guitars and that makes them happy, that's great for them. If someone likes to play cheap guitars regardless of what they can afford and those make them happy, then that's great for them.

Our time on this earth is way too short to worry about what others do to make themselves happy. Just make yourself happy!

Martin * Pre-War Guitars * Brothers Music
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion