The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2013, 08:06 PM

Default Any Taylor 714ce (new version) owners?

I am on the hunt for a new guitar and had the opportunity to pay a 2012 Taylor 714ce. This is the newer version with the Sitka spruce top. I liked I a lot, almost as much or more than the 814ce I played. Just wondering if there are any owners here or people who have played them, and what your impression is.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:52 PM

The 2012 model uses Engelmann. Good for fingerpicking, not so good for strumming. The 2013 models I think have started to use Sitka, which make them no different from 814s other than the visuals.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
The 2012 model uses Engelmann. Good for fingerpicking, not so good for strumming. The 2013 models I think have started to use Sitka, which make them no different from 814s other than the visuals.
That makes more sense. I have been trying to figure out if it was Engelmann or Sitka. Some sites are advertising it as Engelmann still, whereas the Taylor site states Sitka.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:33 PM

I thought the 700 had a different bracing than the 800 series?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeGiants View Post
I thought the 700 had a different bracing than the 800 series?
You are correct... I'm still stuck in the early 2000s... The 714 has Standard II bracing whereas the 814 has CV bracing... When asked about the matter at a Roadshow during the Q&A session, Bob said CV was "definitely an upgrade" without further elaboration, but some prefer the brighter sparkle of Standard II over the bassy lows of the CV.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:21 AM

Years ago I had an 814 (with the Fishman). I played the time out of for 5 years, but honestly, never really cared for it. I thought maybe I just wasn't a Taylor guy. I moved over to Martins and was finally playing with the sound I was looking for. Earlier this spring my buddy calls from his shop and mentions in passing he just got a 714 in. Tobacco burst. I thought to myself, hmmm. So I went in and checked it out. Un-friggin real! Great, balanced sound, good strummer and finger picker, and the new electronics have a mellow tone to them. It's my go to now, and the last Martin left last month.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeder View Post
Years ago I had an 814 (with the Fishman). I played the time out of for 5 years, but honestly, never really cared for it. I thought maybe I just wasn't a Taylor guy. I moved over to Martins and was finally playing with the sound I was looking for. Earlier this spring my buddy calls from his shop and mentions in passing he just got a 714 in. Tobacco burst. I thought to myself, hmmm. So I went in and checked it out. Un-friggin real! Great, balanced sound, good strummer and finger picker, and the new electronics have a mellow tone to them. It's my go to now, and the last Martin left last month.
Is it a 2012 or a 2013? Spruce top or Engelmann? I am trying to sort out when Taylor switched the tops on this model.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:01 AM

Default 2013 714 Sitka

My husband just bought a new (2013) 714ce, after sending back a new 526. He loves his. It is Sitka. He is an aggressive stummer so I was very surprised that it sounds warm and with good volume and doesn't top out. I have an 812 12 fret that he won't play because it is way too lush for his style of playing. He loves this new 714 more than anything else he's owned so far.

It doesn't hurt that it is gorgeous with that dark tobacco burst!

Sharon
Old 08-17-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimHigh View Post
My husband just bought a new (2013) 714ce, after sending back a new 526. He loves his. It is Sitka. He is an aggressive stummer so I was very surprised that it sounds warm and with good volume and doesn't top out. I have an 812 12 fret that he won't play because it is way too lush for his style of playing. He loves this new 714 more than anything else he's owned so far.

It doesn't hurt that it is gorgeous with that dark tobacco burst!

Sharon
Thanks Sharon. That's helpful!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Engelmann not good for strumming? Are you serious? Seriously - what about Engelmann spruce which is SPRUCE, STIFF and generally more like ADI than Sitka would make it less good for strumming...?

Oh, right, this is the AGF.

Okay, it's Englemann, which is great for strumming, not so good for fingerstyle.

Hmph.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 08-18-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthurman View Post
Engelmann not good for strumming? Are you serious? Seriously - what about Engelmann spruce which is SPRUCE, STIFF and generally more like ADI than Sitka would make it less good for strumming...?

Oh, right, this is the AGF.

Okay, it's Englemann, which is great for strumming, not so good for fingerstyle.

Hmph.
So are you try to
say that Engelmann is equal or superior to Sitka for strumming?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:49 PM

All spruce tops are good for strumming or fingerstyle.

So are cedar and redwood tops. I forgot

So are mahogony tops.

They are all different not better or worse than

Each other.

My 2 centavos
Old 08-18-2013, 04:42 PM

If I am not mistaken, Engelmann IS NOT stiffer or harder than Sitka. It is softer and generally cannot take as hard a strum as Sitka. It does not project as well as Sitka either. Sitka is closer to ADI then Engelmann. That's what I think anyway. YMMV.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion