The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-30-2016, 08:12 PM

Default Seymour Duncan Antiquities

I have a Korean Sheraton that a close family friend graciously gifted me awhile back after he upgraded a to a custom handmade semi hollow. I recently played guitar with him for the first time in a long time and he gave me the box that the Sheraton pickups came in and had the old pickups in them. I remember that he had a pickup die back before he gave it to me but it sounded like he said he replaced them with stock Epi pickups.

To my surprise, the boxes for the pickups were SD Antiquities and it had the receipt in them for the pickup and the tech installing them. This Sheraton sounds way better than it should and always impresses much more than examples I've played in music stores. I'm guessing these pickups are a big reason why. I've always assumed these were just Epi pickups. Anyone else have experience with these? I highly recommend them although they do seem a bit pricy. This Sheraton sounds to me like what a 335 should sound like and is very versatile. It's not a 335 and I'd still love to have one way down the line but I'm really digging this Sheraton with the SD antiquities.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

There are a lot of great pickup options out there today... something for just about every taste. I lean more towards Klein pups but there are plenty of Duncan fans out there. Enjoy that guitar!
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
I have a Korean Sheraton that a close family friend graciously gifted me awhile back after he upgraded a to a custom handmade semi hollow. I recently played guitar with him for the first time in a long time and he gave me the box that the Sheraton pickups came in and had the old pickups in them. I remember that he had a pickup die back before he gave it to me but it sounded like he said he replaced them with stock Epi pickups.

To my surprise, the boxes for the pickups were SD Antiquities and it had the receipt in them for the pickup and the tech installing them. This Sheraton sounds way better than it should and always impresses much more than examples I've played in music stores. I'm guessing these pickups are a big reason why. I've always assumed these were just Epi pickups. Anyone else have experience with these? I highly recommend them although they do seem a bit pricy. This Sheraton sounds to me like what a 335 should sound like and is very versatile. It's not a 335 and I'd still love to have one way down the line but I'm really digging this Sheraton with the SD antiquities.

SD Antiquities are aged versions of the SD Seth Lovers. You can't go wrong with them. The Seth Lovers in my LP provide the classic PAF tones I listened to growing up in the 60s and 70s.

I'll bet they sound great in that 330!
Old 07-02-2016, 10:01 AM

I've played several recent-issue non-Custom Shop Gibson semis...

I've played plenty of '90s Korean Epis...

I've played my share of Duncan-equipped guitars...

You may never need another semi...

Buy your bud a nice bottle of single-malt scotch for his b-day...
Old 07-04-2016, 07:25 PM

Hey Russ, I've never played SD Antiquities before but I've read great reviews on them over the years. Pricey yes but the people who buy them love them.

Congrats on the gift and the pickups!
Old 07-05-2016, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

I upgraded a semi hollow with some Duncan Seth Lover pickups and really like them. In an age of so many rest boutique pickup winders, Duncan continues to make some of the best after market options. Congrats on the antiquities, they ar some of the best
Old 07-05-2016, 04:23 PM

Antiquities are great pickups. For a few years I did pickup installs once a week to supplement my income as a musician, and I can't count the number of times that I installed Antiquities. They are a nice lower output PAF style pickup that work great with semi-hollows. Also, Sheratons have consistently gotten good reviews. Should be a winning combination. I have a very close friend with a Gibson Historic '59 reissue, and a pair of Antiquities really brought that guitar alive! And I used to have a 1995 Les Paul Standard plus with a great set of Antiquities that used to get GREAT lead tone, here's that guitar (starts @ 1:35, with an extended solo towards the end of the song)...

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6605960
Old 07-05-2016, 06:04 PM

I have a Korean made PRS SE Singlecut Korina. I replaced the pickups with Duncan 59's. The stock ceramic magnet pickups didn't sound bad at all but were too hot. The alnico magnet pickups tamed the hotness and sound very good. Whilst I have 2 nice Gibson and 2 nice Fender electric guitars, if I was still gigging, I would definitely bring out the PRS now and then and would enjoy gigging with it.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars