The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-20-2016, 03:00 AM

Default Yamaha Revstar Range

I've been looking for a new electric guitar since Christmas but haven't managed to decide on anything yet. I was all set to buy the Michael Kelly Fralin CC50 as my old guitar was a Michael Kelly and I was just going to stick to a brand I know. I kind of decided though that I wanted to try something different so have gone off that now and am looking at other brands. I've found a range I really like the look of that has recently been brought out by Yamaha called Revstar. I haven't tried one out yet but was wondering if anyone else here might have and can give an unbiased opinion? I have always bought Yamaha keyboards but have never used their guitars. I like the brand so wouldn't mind finding out how well their guitars shape-up. I'm definitely sold on their cool designs as they are right up my street but its all about the playing at the end of the day. I like the look of the RS820CR which is coming in at just over $2,000 Australian dollars so about $1,500 US. That's the top one in their new line.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:36 AM

Yamaha's acoustics are great values, and their electrics are generally well liked as well. I think you could do far worse for a first electric; go for it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 06-20-2016, 05:44 AM

Have not played a Revstar, but I have an assortment of Yamaha Pacifica's.
The Revstars have gotten nice reviews, and favorable comments on The Gear Page...Sounds like they have a unique neck profile so you might want to see if you can find one in the flesh or order one from someone with a good return policy.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence on Yamaha, sounds like they do a good job when it comes to guitars too. I definitely need to try one out now so I can see for myself. I am going to drop by a store in the City next week where I know they have one stocked that I can try. I have actually found one for sale online though that's being sold cheaper so i'll probably just try it out at the store and then buy online.

Last edited by fretsta; 06-22-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretsta View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence on Yamaha, sounds like they do a good job when it comes to guitars too. I definitely need to try one out now so I can see for myself. I am going to drop by a store in the City next week where I know they have one stocked that I can try. I have actually found one for sale online though that's being sold cheaper so i'll probably just try it out at the store and then buy online.
It is not that I enjoy being that guy, but I can't help commenting on this. So you would like to benefit from the store's service of letting you play the guitar, but when it comes to actually paying for the instrument you are going for the cheapest online offer. I just don't think this is right. At least, I would suggest you let the store counter the online offer, and I would think it only fair if you also accept a slightly higher price due to the service they have provided. Also, keep in mind that there may be small variations from sample to sample within a product line, so you may end up having to pay for a setup or whatever which the store might have included in the deal.

OK, I'll get off my high horse now. It is your money and you are of course entitled to do whatever you want. This is just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom PC View Post
It is not that I enjoy being that guy, but I can't help commenting on this. So you would like to benefit from the store's service of letting you play the guitar, but when it comes to actually paying for the instrument you are going for the cheapest online offer. I just don't think this is right. At least, I would suggest you let the store counter the online offer, and I would think it only fair if you also accept a slightly higher price due to the service they have provided. Also, keep in mind that there may be small variations from sample to sample within a product line, so you may end up having to pay for a setup or whatever which the store might have included in the deal.

OK, I'll get off my high horse now. It is your money and you are of course entitled to do whatever you want. This is just my opinion.
I think you are totally right and I would feel guilty generally taking advantage like that but I have used this store many times and have bought equipment from there in the past. I will of course ask if they can price match but failing that i'll buy it online. In the past the difference has always been negligible so I've just bought stuff in store. I've given them enough business so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it. I get what you are saying though and that's a good line of thinking so I respect that.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:53 PM

Make sure you are comparing the same model between the store and online. That guitar comes in a huge range of prices, depending on what features you want.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
Make sure you are comparing the same model between the store and online. That guitar comes in a huge range of prices, depending on what features you want.
Yeah good point thanks, fingers crossed they will price match so I can buy the one I try.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretsta View Post
I think you are totally right and I would feel guilty generally taking advantage like that but I have used this store many times and have bought equipment from there in the past. I will of course ask if they can price match but failing that i'll buy it online. In the past the difference has always been negligible so I've just bought stuff in store. I've given them enough business so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it. I get what you are saying though and that's a good line of thinking so I respect that.
OK, I fully understand and respect where you are coming from

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars