The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-15-2016, 11:11 AM

Default Overdrive Pedal Selection - Your Criteria?

Slimming down, want to go with only overdrive, wah, tuner, and, perhaps compression. Starting over, as to overdrives and am curious, as to what some of you look/listen for, if you were looking to go with only one. I do know one criteria is that it needs to be able to dial back to very subtle OD.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:29 AM

I firmly believe you don't need anything more than a Boss SD-1 which is one of mildest and least expensive quality pedals out there. Here's a cool comparison between the SD-1, the Bad Monkey, and the Klon. The dude is very balanced in his analysis. There are of course advantages to each of them.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:52 AM

that's slimming down?

as far as overdrive, i prefer the fulltone fulldrive 3. best one i've found.
play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-15-2016, 01:12 PM

My fav is the Carl Martin Hot Drive 'N Boost MK3. The only Overdrive pedal i use. it also has a boost facility which is brilliant for solo's
Old 06-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
I do know one criteria is that it needs to be able to dial back to very subtle OD.
That was my only criteria when I was selecting an OD pedal. After much research and trying out a bunch of pedals, the one that really fit the bill was the Hermida Zendrive.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-15-2016, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

My personal criteria for an overdrive is to be able to turn the Drive down to get a semi clean boost. I think the Electro Harmonix Soul Food (a supposed Klon clone) is a great bang for the buck overdrive, and it does a pretty good high gain thing too. Around $70.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:35 AM

Default Overdrive Pedal Selection - Your Criteria?

My 2 favorite & both on my board are my Boss BD-2 and an Ibanez TS-9. The TS9 gives more of a warmer OD sound (goes great with my Strat), while the BD-2 gives a good crunch with my LP.

Martin D-35
Taylor 314ce
Fender Classic Series 60's
Epi LP Tribute Plus
Vox AC15
Vox VT40+
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 06-16-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan32 View Post
My 2 favorite & both on my board are my Boss BD-2 and an Ibanez TS-9. The TS9 gives more of a warmer OD sound (goes great with my Strat), while the BD-2 gives a good crunch with my LP.
Very good point on humbuckers vs. single coils. My SD-1 is the only one I like on my single coils, but is also great on humbuckers.

But while I can use my MXR distortionIII/Classic Overdrive (same pedal as far as I can hear) on humbucker guitars, I really don't like it on my single coils, which are my primary guitars.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:53 AM

Sounds to me as though you want a TS9. The TS9 is mild compared to the next gen OD's that all pretty much mimic the TS9 but with extras. The TS9 with a good tube amp will retain your playing technique and push the amp just enough to over drive while retaining your guitars tone.

I've had many OD's in the last 25 years and finally got a vintage TS9 about a year ago and wondered why I never got one sooner. But like anything in guitar tone you have to find what you like best and it's really trial and error.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

...i've owned at least 30 overdrives...many of the spendy ones by some great pedal makers...when i decided to go with just a single do it all OD on my board the Barber Gain Changer made the final cut...check one out...

http://www.barberelectronics.com/gainchanger.html
Old 06-16-2016, 10:53 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I forgot about the SD-1. Had one, many years ago; was looking for fuzz, rather than OD, so it wasn't a fit; need to revisit.

The TS just doesn't do it, for me; I've tried standard and modified ones.

Haven't heard of the Klon, ZenDrive, MK3, or the Barber; will see what I can find, online, as to samples.

Yesterday, was able to borrow from a friend who as gone the Line 6 Variax route, a: Fulltone Fulldrive 2, MI Tube Zone, and a Fulltone OCD. Those 3 should keep me occupied, for a while.

I play mainly a Strat, and I know what I'm listening/looking for. Will report back, even if no one cares. : )
Old 06-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I forgot about the SD-1. Had one, many years ago; was looking for fuzz, rather than OD, so it wasn't a fit; need to revisit.

The TS just doesn't do it, for me; I've tried standard and modified ones.

Haven't heard of the Klon, ZenDrive, MK3, or the Barber; will see what I can find, online, as to samples.

Yesterday, was able to borrow from a friend who as gone the Line 6 Variax route, a: Fulltone Fulldrive 2, MI Tube Zone, and a Fulltone OCD. Those 3 should keep me occupied, for a while.

I play mainly a Strat, and I know what I'm listening/looking for. Will report back, even if no one cares. : )
I've owned about 15 different overdrive or distortion pedals and most of them sound fizzy (not fuzzy) to me. That thin, distorted sound, I'm just not crazy about. BTW, The Klon is crazy expensive.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
That thin, distorted sound, I'm just not crazy about. BTW, The Klon is crazy expensive.
Same here. Tests for me include subtlety (starting at clean, then slight saturation) and the nature of the pickup positions still being heard.

I'll check out the Soul Food; thanks.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

My criteria:

- It depends on the type of guitar and pick-up type (single coil, P-90 or Humbucker)
- It depends on the tube amplifier circuit type EQ (Blackface, Tweed/Marshall)
- Depending on above, some pedals work better for me than others
- I always look for touch sensitivity in an OD

Some OD pedals that I like that can work with all of the above are:

- Analogman King of Tone v4
- Maxon OD-820
- Menatone Red Snapper
- Xotic Effects RC Booster
Old 06-16-2016, 01:48 PM

If you're looking for versatility check out the Carl Martin DC Drive. It's an OD pedal with switchable Fat/Regular drive control, a foot pedal clean boost and bypass, as well as tone, level, drive, boost knob controls. I've found the clean boost with level control to be ideal in pushing an amp from just on the edge of breakup to overdrive in a way that is perfect. I seldom use the drive functions of the pedal and let the boost allow the amp to do the work.

Here's a demo:

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars