The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-14-2016, 01:35 PM

Default Should I? Paul Reed Smith SE Floyd Custom 24 30th Ann. Quilted Grey Black

Hey guys,

I have two electric guitars: One is a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin and one is aIbanez AS93.
As you can see: I obviously lack of a solid body electric guitar
Lately I was playing lots of Clapton and Hendrix, and I like that High-Gain Stratocaster sounds, while I have big problems to replicate such sounds with the Ibanez... it also does not have a Tremolo ofcourse. So I thought about buying a Stat... BUT I don`t like the Fender Strat because the long scale causes me problems an I also dont really fancy the classic Strat look - furthermore the standard Fender Tremolo seems to bring huge tuning problems.
Now I was thinking of this guitar:
Paul Reed Smith SE Floyd Custom 24 30th Ann. Quilted Grey Black
http://www.prsguitars.com/se30thfloydcustom24/
What do you think about it?
A dealer close by offered me a showroom model for 777,00€, it doesn`t not show any damage, no scratches, no marks. He told me it was in the showroom since April, so maybe in those two monthes not too many people played on it. Normally they sell for around 900€ in Europe, I am sure they are much less expensive in the US.

Btw: My Amps is a Laney Cub 12R and I usually use a Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver pedal.

Thank you
Old 06-15-2016, 12:03 PM

Does no one know this guitar or has some piece of advice for me?
Old 06-16-2016, 05:54 AM

Hey Matt! I haven't played a PRS SE model, so can't comment on them. However, Mr. Smith is a stickler for quality, so I'd imagine this 30th anniversary model will be pristine. That's a gorgeous quilt top, BTW.

I have a 1991 PRS with "10" top, Braz fretboard, bird inlays. It practically plays itself. I usually play single coil Strat/Tele guitars, but when I need some humbucker tone, I reach for the PRS.

If I did the math right (conversion to USD), the 30th Anniversary is about $1,000. Seems like a good price. Is the showroom model as "quilty" as the one in the link? I hope you go for it!

Here are some pics of mine:

Old 06-16-2016, 06:05 AM

MY PRS is an S2, so a little more pricey that the SE (but nowhere near a Custom), and it's very very good. I have a buddy who had an SE Santana, and got rid of it. He know wishes he had it back. He said it was really good, and is looking to get another one.

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 06-16-2016, 07:21 AM

Get it.

I bought my son a blue SE the first year it came out. He still has it. The pickups have improved since then, and the Floyd Rose with locking nut is better than the original tremolo with what looks like a graphite nut.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:18 PM

Hi Matt, I have a PRS McCarty. It's a great guitar! Regarding the one you are looking at, over here in the USA Floyd Rose guitars are associated with METAL more than blues and are not so much in fashion.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBlue View Post
Does no one know this guitar or has some piece of advice for me?
A couple of thoughts.

It looks nice, although obviously the things that really matter can't be determined by a picture. The SE models have a pretty solid track record now of quality and value for the money, even more so if you buy used. So you're unlikely to get a sub-standard guitar.

$1000 US seems like a LOT for any SE model. Personally, I'd be pretty hard-pressed to go that high although I can't say that it is overpriced: the same one is going on Ebay for about $940. Sweetwater has them without the Floyd for less than $800. Are you sure you want a Floyd trem?

No advice, just some thoughts. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2016, 11:11 PM

I have a few PRS guitars, they are all exquisite. I haven't any experience with the SE models, but the prs temolo is the best design/function of any I've played in almost 50 years. When set up correctly, unlike Fender tremolo's, it actually fine-tunes the guitar. Good luck, I don't think PRS makes many bad guitars.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:38 AM

I have a PRS SE Singlecut Korina and it's a darned nice guitar, import or not...
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 06-23-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Hi Matt, I have a PRS McCarty. It's a great guitar! Regarding the one you are looking at, over here in the USA Floyd Rose guitars are associated with METAL more than blues and are not so much in fashion.
Function over fashion! I wouldn't exactly call Neal Schon "metal" but I do believe Schon has a PRS with a Floyd (and likely Roland synth pickup.)

Randy Hanson, a Jimi Hendrix nut, was one of the first ever to get a Floyd Rose installed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars