The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-28-2006, 04:23 AM

Default How do I get out of this TABaholic funk?

It's so embarrasing...without tabs, I can't play guitar. I don't know how to improvise, I don't know how to lead, I don't even know basic chord progressions without tabs telling me what to play in order. Quite simply, I am very embarassed about my skills. I'd like to be able to just JAM on the go, play some and make up my own licks on the spot...but I don't know what steps to do to go that direction. Help?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:35 AM

First step is to memorize some songs. Then things will fall into place. You have to break the dependency of reading.
BTW, you are a rare case. Usually, most players have the problem the other way around.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Hi E Doc...
Sounds like you need a jamming partner...preferably someone a bit further down the road than you are, but not so far you cannot catch up.

And just start playing as much of songs as you can remember without looking at the TAB. You are just learning to tell people the story instead of reading them the story.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell