The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-31-2022, 01:03 AM

Default Going to the low side

Got this little rig for cheap. Short scale G&L legacy bass (with backyard EVH spray job), Ampeg B1 RE solid state head, and Seismic 4x8 cab. Perfect for bedroom practicing, but it can get quite loud. Bass being short scale makes it easier to play. Having tons of fun with it.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:33 AM

Wow 1neeto, thats right in my wheelhouse! Have fun getting to know each other.

frank d.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Wow 1neeto, thats right in my wheelhouse! Have fun getting to know each other.

frank d.

Thanks! This bass is quite odd because it has a 5 string headstock, but 4 string nut and bridge. Previous owner said it’s a G&L but it doesn’t say G&L anywhere. Rig actually sounds great with good poppy mids. Everything was less than $400.

Last edited by 1neeto; 10-31-2022 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-31-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Thanks! This bass is quite odd because it has a 5 string headstock, but 5 string nut and bridge. Previous owner said it’s a G&L but it doesn’t say G&L anywhere. Rig actually sounds great with good poppy mids. Everything was less than $400.
It truly is a “FRANKENSTEIN”, just as it’s paint job suggests it would be!
Very appropriate for the day…get out and play!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN

frank d.

Last edited by Chickee; 10-31-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:21 PM

Looks like a fun setup! I’m not sure it’s a G&L though - G&L as far as I know have never used 2-saddle bass bridges. What’s more the Legacy bass was based on the P-bass whereas this looks more like a Mustang-based body. Let’s see the headstock!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-31-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
It truly is a “FRANKENSTEIN”, just as it’s paint job suggests it would be!
Very appropriate for the day…get out and play!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN

frank d.

Haha yes very appropriate! Happy Halloween to you too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Looks like a fun setup! I’m not sure it’s a G&L though - G&L as far as I know have never used 2-saddle bass bridges. What’s more the Legacy bass was based on the P-bass whereas this looks more like a Mustang-based body. Let’s see the headstock!
It is also very heavy! I’m sure it’s over ten pounds. Ok here’s a pic of the headstock. Hopefully somebody can ID this thing!

Old 10-31-2022, 03:57 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Body shape is a Fender Mustang. Who knows about the rest?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-01-2022, 07:35 AM

Someone took a hacksaw to that headstock at some point and chopped off the crown and top right side.
1neeto, I beg you, please fix the direction of the G string’s wrap! My OCD is killing me!😹😂😹

frank d.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Someone took a hacksaw to that headstock at some point and chopped off the crown and top right side.
1neeto, I beg you, please fix the direction of the G string’s wrap! My OCD is killing me![emoji81][emoji23][emoji81]

frank d.

Yes it’s killing me too! [emoji23]
Old 11-01-2022, 05:52 PM

Someone was definitely playing around with a headstock design. [emoji1787]
Old 11-01-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
...Bass being short scale makes it easier to play...
Don't know what kind of strings you're using, but IME all the customary complaints "real" bass players make about "inferior tone" can be solved thus:
  • Set it up as these instruments came from the factory in their '60s heyday - heavier strings (preferably flats - those super-skinny disco-era roundwounds are a total tone-killer on a short-scale), low action, and turn off your amp's bright switch and/or tweeter if it has one/both (after all, you're playing bass...);
  • As I'm sure you've already discovered, a short-scale bass' tone is by nature going to be "different" - and no more "inferior" than a 24-3/4" mahogany/spruce J-45 is to a comparably-constructed 25.4" D-18;
  • A number of highly-influential bass players built their careers on short-scale instruments - Messrs. Clarke, Bruce, Woody, and McCartney come quickly to mind - and they're enjoying a resurgence of popularity as much for their tone as their handling qualities, with more instruments presently available than at any time since the late-1960's...
BTW I used to own a '67 Epiphone Rivoli "Chas Chandler" semi-hollow, and my own go-to for the last 15 years is a Gibson SG Faded set up with LaBella 49-109 flats (based on looks alone I wouldn't go that heavy on yours); FWIW I not only no longer need my 5-string (that big fat low-E string will bring the floor up about two feet through a 15" cab ) but it covers just about anything I used my '89 Pedulla P/J for - all with the advantage of the easier-playing 30" scale...

Now, about that DIY headstock...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 11-01-2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Don't know what kind of strings you're using, but IME all the customary complaints "real" bass players make about "inferior tone" can be solved thus:
  • Set it up as these instruments came from the factory in their '60s heyday - heavier strings (preferably flats - those super-skinny disco-era roundwounds are a total tone-killer on a short-scale), low action, and turn off your amp's bright switch and/or tweeter if it has one/both (after all, you're playing bass...);
  • As I'm sure you've already discovered, a short-scale bass' tone is by nature going to be "different" - and no more "inferior" than a 24-3/4" mahogany/spruce J-45 is to a comparably-constructed 25.4" D-18;
  • A number of highly-influential bass players built their careers on short-scale instruments - Messrs. Clarke, Bruce, Woody, and McCartney come quickly to mind - and they're enjoying a resurgence of popularity as much for their tone as their handling qualities, with more instruments presently available than at any time since the late-1960's...
BTW I used to own a '67 Epiphone Rivoli "Chas Chandler" semi-hollow, and my own go-to for the last 15 years is a Gibson SG Faded set up with LaBella 49-109 flats (based on looks alone I wouldn't go that heavy on yours); FWIW I not only no longer need my 5-string (that big fat low-E string will bring the floor up about two feet through a 15" cab ) but it covers just about anything I used my '89 Pedulla P/J for - all with the advantage of the easier-playing 30" scale...

Now, about that DIY headstock...

Yeah doing a lot of reading and videos. After listening to an A-B comparison between round and flat wounds, I’m sold on the flats. Funny I didn’t look at the little details past the backyard paint job. I just looked at it and played good and sounded good so why not.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:05 AM

If you post on Talkbass, you might have someone who knows what it is but it certainly isn't a G&L or any other larger manufacturer instrument that I recognize. As others have said, please change the direction of the G-string on the tuner, OCD aside, that sideways tension may crack the nut. I don't think it was a 5-string headstock, just someone decided to change the aesthetics.

Looks to be a somewhat random hench-en-China instrument. If it plays and sound ok, then it is fine.

Nothing wrong with short scales. My primary bass gig these days I'm using a Rob Allen Mouse fretless which is 30" scale.

As for strings, if you're new to bass realize that it isn't just a guitar with fatter strings. Different mindset, and different feel under the fingers. Play flats if you like, but don't dismiss round wounds completely. Different tools for different sounds and feels. fwiw my Mouse has nylon tape wound which are flats, but it is a piezo-driven bass, totally different animal than this. Enjoy the low end.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 11-06-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
If you post on Talkbass, you might have someone who knows what it is but it certainly isn't a G&L or any other larger manufacturer instrument that I recognize...

Looks to be a somewhat random hench-en-China instrument. If it plays and sound ok, then it is fine...
Based on body shape, pickup placement, 2-saddle bridge, fingerboard (19 frets with dots ending at the 17th), and tuners (clearly a 4-in-line set - the G is mounted upside down) I'll call it a Squier Bronco - probably someone who bought the Hello Kitty version cheap, and tried to turn it into something arguably more acceptable...
Old 11-06-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Based on body shape, pickup placement, 2-saddle bridge, fingerboard (19 frets with dots ending at the 17th), and tuners (clearly a 4-in-line set - the G is mounted upside down) I'll call it a Squier Bronco - probably someone who bought the Hello Kitty version cheap, and tried to turn it into something arguably more acceptable...

The previous owner happens to be a friend of mine and he said he bought that bass at a swap meet, but it was in unplayable condition. No brand markings anywhere so it’s probably some off brand Chinese thing like you said. It’s very heavy so I’ll remove that electronics cover and see if there’s a plywood body under there.

The G string is wound counter clockwise so that’s definitely a in line tuning key mounted in the wrong side. I might wind it the other way even if it’s gonna throw me off when I try to tune that string.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
If you post on Talkbass, you might have someone who knows what it is but it certainly isn't a G&L or any other larger manufacturer instrument that I recognize. As others have said, please change the direction of the G-string on the tuner, OCD aside, that sideways tension may crack the nut. I don't think it was a 5-string headstock, just someone decided to change the aesthetics.

Looks to be a somewhat random hench-en-China instrument. If it plays and sound ok, then it is fine.

Nothing wrong with short scales. My primary bass gig these days I'm using a Rob Allen Mouse fretless which is 30" scale.

As for strings, if you're new to bass realize that it isn't just a guitar with fatter strings. Different mindset, and different feel under the fingers. Play flats if you like, but don't dismiss round wounds completely. Different tools for different sounds and feels. fwiw my Mouse has nylon tape wound which are flats, but it is a piezo-driven bass, totally different animal than this. Enjoy the low end.
Look at the pic of the rear of the headstock. The 5th hole is covered with a sticker. But yeah it’s probably a cheap made in China thing. The neck feels really good, and the fretwork is very decent.

I’m gonna wind that G the other way I definitely hate that angle and you being a good point about the nut probably cracking.

Also been trying to approach the instrument much differently. Ditched the pick, and now trying to use my fingers instead. Almost feels like starting to learn guitar all over again.

Last edited by 1neeto; 11-06-2022 at 12:03 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars