The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Hum reducing software-Help!!

I'm using Mixcraft and just upgraded to version 2.5 which I had hoped would have built in hum reducing but no deal. You have to buy a plug in. Anyone know of shareware for Windows 98 that has built in hum reducing? I figured I could record in Mixcraft and then just run it thru the other software for the hum reducer. I bought another mic cable and did some recordings with two mics and found the hum to have increased. Thanks in advance.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-22-2006, 03:28 AM

Audacity has built in noise reduction. It seems to work pretty good most of the time, as long as you use it at the minimum setting that will get rid of the noise. If you set it too high, you can get some strange artifacts. Best of all, it's free.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Old 01-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Hi Barry...
It is best to reduce hum on the hardware side. When you use software, EQ or filters of any sort you degrade the total sound of your recording.

It sounds like you are trying to track it down. That's where I'd be working to solve it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell