The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-29-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt View Post
These factory MIC instruments are often servicable instruments - meaning, they can be set-up properly and suitable for learning. Some of them sound pretty decent. I have several of these - acquired inexpensively after the student quits. They all needed set-up, which i do myself. My main player is the best of these, and is adequate for the amount of playing i do - given i play many other instruments. If i didnt have so much going on, i would procure a more expensive cello.

*i played BG bass for many years on inexpensive asian, romanian or old kay basses. Adequate for folk music.
One of the main Chinese orchestral instrument companies is Eastman Strings. Started decades ago, they are part of the same family of companies that make Eastman mandolins and guitars. These are well made, very decent quality instruments. Lots of Eastman instruments in the school orchestras here - just like Kay's in the 40's through 60's.

As far as Kay basses - they're all old. There hasn't been a new Kay or Engelhardt bass built for decades. In my part of the US (PNW) you won't find a Kay bass in playable condition for under about $2500 US. I was thrilled to get my '46 Kay for $2200 almost a year ago.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:09 PM

Oh ya, and there are countless instruments coming out of the Asian factories unlabeled, that are quite acceptable student instruments. Lately, Eastman has another line called [name escapes me] that's a big distributor for schools. And of course there are fine quality MIC instruments as well. Not bagging on mic instruments - like them for the $.

Not sure what you want me to take away from the kay discussion? Yes theyre popular in folk/bg/c&w etc. I bought mine for a grand - back when you could buy one for a grand (90s) - sold it for a bass for jazz.

*Strobel - is the new eastman product

Last edited by catt; 12-29-2023 at 05:29 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments