The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-13-2023, 07:31 AM

Default $500-$800 digital piano/keyboard Opinions?

I am looking into a digital piano/keyboard to put in my music room for the sake of recording easily into a Scarlett 18i6 & Reaper. I will also occasionally jam with other musicians, but 97% of it's life will probably be stationary in my room.

Priorities:
1: Good piano sound when recording
2: Feels at least reasonably decent. (I play an upright in general)
3: It does need to sound good in the room for playing with others.
4: Something that will last and not die on me.

I have looked at the Korg B2n, Roland FP10, Roland FP30x, Yamaha P-line. But I am open to anything.

I know that I need to spend more time physically playing them, and I will.

I also, like most people, prefer to spend as little as possible to acquire a quality instrument, but if it is just truly the logical choice, I can spend more money.

Anyhow, do any of you kind people have opinions on what you would purchase?
Old 11-13-2023, 09:29 AM

I have a Roland FP-30 (not the X I don't think). I got a screaming deal on it used (listed on eBay, local pickup only close to me, and I was the only bidder). It has a nice sound and plays very well.

If I were buying new I would probably go with a Yamaha. They sound a little brighter to me and I like the electric piano (DX7, think every 80s ballad) sound better. But that's just personal preference.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

We (wife) have a Yamaha P series for our music room. As far as durability, we've had it 6+ years and have traveled with it at times, but the last few years it is a permanent fixture in so, I'd say it is durable.
I'm not a keyboard player, but my wife selected it, and generally is happy with it----full keyboard, 88 weighted keys is what she wanted. It replaced our upright. We record with it through a Focusrite interface and out through our studio speakers---it records well. To me it sounds good through the studio speakers, and somewhat weak without external speakers.
We are happy with it.

Edit: a couple thoughts from a non-keyboard player:
Over the years with the Yamaha, we did change from a folding / portable metal base to the Yamaha black particle board/wood base. My wife sits and plays and the portable base and stool never really got along. That is personal preference I presume.
We also changed the foot pedal to a more traditional (heavier) style for her tastes.
Again, I am not the keyboard pro, but hope this helps.

Last edited by catndahats; 11-13-2023 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:56 AM

Thank you columbia. . I appreciate the input.
Old 11-13-2023, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Casio has some deals through the end of the year on some models. The PX S1100 looks like it's in your price range. At my local store the PX S1100 is selling for $599 insteada $699. Casio, Yamaha, Roland, Korg are all making decent digital pianos these days that fit your description. Physically playing them, as you note (haha), is the key (haha). That was entirely unintentional.

I'm looking @ digital pianos these days. My left/fretting hand is getting more arthritic making it more painful to play guitar & other stringed instruments, to gig. But I started gigging back in the 70s with a Fender Rhodes 73, so maybe it's time to play keys again.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 11-13-2023, 07:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Keyboard player here. Learned piano as my first instrument in the early 70s.

One approach you might consider is a keyboard controller. The idea is that all the sounds in any electronic keyboard are software. So, you separate the software from the hardware. Here’s how: Get yourself an M-Audio Hammer 88. It’s in your price range. It has fully weighted keys and an excellent piano feel. It has no sounds or “voices;” its output is detailed information on exactly what you play on the keys. Plug the output into an iPad or any tablet or computer. There is a vast selection of software out there, truly mind boggling in variety. Pretty much any voice you’d hear on any keyboard — or EVERY keyboard almost — can be downloaded like any other app. Plug the iPad into an amp or headphones and you now have almost every keyboard.

Higher price controller would be a Kawai VPC1. More than you need, but fun to read about.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 11-14-2023, 12:05 PM

@catndahats, that is very helpful. Six, or more, years is a lot, and to be satisfied after so long is saying a good bit.

@Random1643, I've been considering all of those brands. Keys are definitely easier on the hands! Thank you for the heads up on the sales & the puns.

@LFL Steve, that is a valid point. I am not the most knowledgeable, but if a digital piano can do midi, which many seem to be able to, what advantage is there to using a controller? Or are you talking about apps that are different from midi? (In which case, I didn't even know that existed.)

I did go to a couple of stores here, but the two that I visited had limited options. I tried some Casios, a Roland FP30X, and the Yamaha P125a. I definitely leaned towards the Yamaha & Roland. The Yamaha, in person, sounded more crisp, bright, and authentic. The Roland felt better and still sounded good. Neither one blew my mind though. I very much have been appreciating your thoughts, experience, and knowledge. Thank you.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

I did leave out a lot of detail, in the interest of introducing the concept.

Yes, the signal output from a standalone controller will be in MIDI format and very detailed.

If you look back at how this market has evolved over the decades, we are living now in a realm of great riches, and the improvements are proliferating explosively. For decades the all-in-one units were always a tradeoff among build quality, playing feel, aesthetic appearance, and sound. “Tradeoff” could be substituted with “optimization “ because that’s what the manufacturers are really doing, each according to their perceptions of their target market. Choices are very wide, so you have ample opportunity to select according to your own priorities. If you want something better you can pay more, or let another decade go by.

The appearance of controller-only units changes the trade offs. Relieved of most of the other parameters, manufacturers are free to make the best keyboard per price point. These tend to be very solid builds. The controller you buy today you might very well keep for decades. The strings don’t corrode, the felts don’t harden. Then you’re free to look at software, the sound samples. This is where it gets amazing. They all work on MIDI, so you can select ANY sound you like. We have the very fortunate circumstance these days that software is cheap, and the selections are vast. New samples and sample packages come onto the market constantly. We are living in rich times indeed. Prowl the websites of IK or Ravenscroft (just two examples but there are many many others). You can get immersed in this world for days, or years, trust me!

This path is the escape route from the problem of “this one feels good but THIS one sounds good” and seems likely to be a safe path into the future. MIDI has been around for decades and contains more than enough detail for even the most accomplished pianist. The things that do advance rapidly, iPads and sound samples, are plentiful and cheap.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 11-15-2023, 12:50 PM

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but the Korg D1 has Korg's top of the line keybed in it, has 5 pin MIDI to act as a controller, and also has a decent selection of onboard sounds for when you just want to plug in headphones and play.
Old 12-09-2023, 12:29 PM

I know that it has been a bit, but I finally ordered and received a Roland FP30X. I appreciate and took into consideration all of your thoughts. I landed here because I liked the feel best, and it is simple to use for midi purposes. Since simple piano and keys sounds are the vast majority of midi work that I will do, I thought perhaps this to be better than a dedicated controller. I'm only a couple of days into it with minimal use, but so far I am very happy. Thank you all very much for helping me out.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the follow-up.
It is great when folks share their outcomes....enjoy and play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredFelix View Post
I know that it has been a bit, but I finally ordered and received a Roland FP30X. I appreciate and took into consideration all of your thoughts. I landed here because I liked the feel best, and it is simple to use for midi purposes. Since simple piano and keys sounds are the vast majority of midi work that I will do, I thought perhaps this to be better than a dedicated controller. I'm only a couple of days into it with minimal use, but so far I am very happy. Thank you all very much for helping me out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments