The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-15-2002, 08:11 AM

Fender Nasshville Tele w/Kinman pickups... The best of both Fender worlds. No humm Tele Twang and Strat sound.
Delux
Baby M
'01 414ce ltd Koa
50's MiM Strat
Baby LTG
'01 410ce ltd Koa
Nashville Delux
MM Sterling
Old 09-15-2002, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BloomfieldMAP
Fender Nasshville Tele w/Kinman pickups... The best of both Fender worlds. No humm Tele Twang and Strat sound.
Delux
Maybe the pickups do something for you, but I got a Nashville and wasn't particularly enthused with it.

Then I recently tried a second one that had been modified with a push/pull pot to play all three pickups at once and to play neck/bridge like a regular Tele, but it just didn't do it for me either.

I just converted it to a regular Tele, leaving in the Tex/Mex pickups to see how they would work with better pots and a simple 3 way switch. It should be done today. If they don't sound good to me in the new configuration, I'll get a set of Bill Lawrence 280's for it. Those are really sweet and something of a known quantity in that I built one before. I sold it, but should have just gotten a new neck with a rosewood fretboard for it. I just can't see strings well against maple.

Old 09-15-2002, 10:51 AM

Hmmm... on the acoustic front, I'd have to say a CFox Sonoma that I played a little over a year ago really caught my attention.

For an electric... whew... wow. Well, from what I own, the Hardtail American Strat in Olympic White is doin' it for me right now. I used to have a 1988 PRS STD 24 (which was reincarnated into a new engine for my truck) which I liked, but I think I would have been happier with it had it been a 22 fret neck. I used to have a G&L ASAT Classic which was, by far, the nicest playing Tele style axe I've ever held...

Steve
Old 09-15-2002, 12:50 PM

My Favorite was my 60 les paul and Ive had a few nice carvins but I think PRS is at the top of the game right now but for the money its tought to be a good old American Stratocaster. Where else can you get a professional grade guitar for 700 bucks that works that well. JW
Old 09-15-2002, 04:44 PM

Oh Yeah... PRS CUstom 24 (10 top maple) -- got both Strat and Paul sounds available for the askin', and a perfect (and very fast) neck all the way up (and I do me all the way up) the fretboard!!

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS
Old 09-16-2002, 03:49 AM

For me it's a toss up between my 66 strat and 73' tele custom.
The tele, with it's wide range humbucker at the neck really covers a lot of ground.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:54 AM

I played a "new" '53 Les Paul Gold Top back in 1980. My friend discovered it in a bunch of guitars his dad had stored. It had the original strings! His dad was the original owner and said it had been played less than an hour! I will compare every electric guitar I ever play with that one.

--jam
Old 09-16-2002, 07:55 AM

Default Hodad?

Hey there Stratokatsu -

This looks like a sweet guitar, but the prices I see are more than double what you've got...? Could I really get one of these somewhere for $150?
Old 09-16-2002, 10:25 AM

I really like the G&L Asat Special. I like the the simplicity of the Telecaster style guitar with the top-shelf quality that G&L produces.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:14 PM

I think my Tom Anderson Custom Drop Top, solid mahogony body with Flame Maple top, KOA binding, is the most beautiful, best playing, greatest sounding electric I've ever played. Tom builds some wonderful instruments. I wouldn't mind having one of his Hollow T's with a switcheroo system either.
ednotes02
Phil.4:13
'98 514 ce w/Baggs iMix
Rockbridge Dread BRZ/Adi w/Baggs Anthem
Schertler Unico amp
Michael Tuttle Guitars Tele & Strat
Old 09-16-2002, 01:02 PM

It has to be one of my G&Ls. Once I learned about G&L, I did alot of comparisons with the Fender counterparts. For what I was looking for, G&L took it hands down. Their tone and playability, materials, build quality, and fit and finish are all first class. The price makes it even better

mojo

Baby-M
Adamas SMT
Takamine Santa Fe, PSF-94
Tacoma D-14
Ric 360 Carl Wilson, #16 of 500
G&L Fanatic!!!
'89 PRS CE-24
Heritage H-150
'69 Fender Twin Reverb (blackface)
Fender Princeton Reverb II (Rivera)
Marshall JCM-2000 DSL 401 combo
Roland Blues Cube
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
Old 09-16-2002, 02:56 PM

Fender Telecaster!! An incomparable sustain with a signature grit and twang. I've tried Gibsons, Strats, Rickenbackers, etc. Nothing else really impresses me. Certainly, I haven't found another guitar that makes my steady diet of Tom Petty, CCR, Stones, Neil, and the Animals sound as good. But, I'm no tremelo-bar virtuouso and I don't play the crunchy metal stuff. Those styles would probably push you away from a Tele. But, I just love that raunchy grit and twang to a Tele. While most people now associate Teles with country music, I think it is the perfect rock and roll rhythm guitar. Unlike acoustic guitars, I personally haven't found a reason to buy more than one electric guitar. That said, I'm considering trading in my standard Tele (tobacco sunburst) for the Tele that has a humbucker in the front position. Probably even more versatile.
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes
Old 09-16-2002, 03:16 PM

Something that recently put a twist into my perception of "favorite" is selling a guitar. I have an American Deluxe Fat Strat - love it, versatile, pretty too. But I just sold my Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus. She was a nice honeyburst, beautful wood, and ohhhhh what a sound. I tended to lean towards it more, that and my Breedlove. Now that she's gone and the Strat is my only electric I realize how "different" the Les Paul sounded. It's hard to separate reality and sentimentality so in light of that I'd say my ex-Les Paul was my best. (I know, the Strat will grow and grow on me.) I do miss the LP though.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:50 PM

PRS McCarty 10 top, gold hardware , Bird inlays!
Old 09-16-2002, 07:09 PM

Smile

My '67 Strat, of course.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars