The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 03:34 AM
Charter Member

Default First acoustic guitar jam, last night!

I'm so stoked! It was the Bellport, NY acoustic blues jam;

https://bellport.com/acousticjam/index.htm

This was the first time I've played with anyone. They even had me singing the choruses They were very good players and they were very welcoming to the two of us first timers who showed up. They let me hang back and really not contribute anything, but I did promise to contribute once I can get my feet under me.

The only song I knew was ''King of the Highway''. Most of the songs I could follow pretty well and once or twice I got lost, but it was a lot of fun. Way, way, way more fun than playing at home. And I love playing at home.

They meet three times a month, twice for acoustic jam and once for Blues jam. They told me that the acoustic jam has a much bigger attendance than the eight who were there for the blues. I'll be going back in two weeks. I've got to get working on my chops!

Check out what Toby said about the blues jam on their website;

''I've been to many jams before, but this one is truly unique on many different levels. The audience, for one, gets to sit up close amongst the musicians and watch them interact with one another in a very casual way.

There's no stage, no sound system, no special lighting; thus no separation of audience and performers. It's just one big group of people enjoying playing, or just listening to music together, in a very special kind of way.

You can't find this sort of thing anywhere... except perhaps after hours in a small town general store in North Carolina, but that's another story. As a professional musician and entertainer, I find this experience fascinating and enjoyable to no end.

For the musicians, this is a place where they can relax, knowing that they are among fellow players who are completely supportive of them no matter what their level of expertise. Everybody joins in on the song and does what they can... and in the process, can take away quite a bit of new musical knowledge. I have to admit to stealing a few choice "licks" on the nights I've been able to take part in the jam. Then again, I'm a musical thief by nature.

Finally, the Bellport.com Acoustic Jam is a place where you can meet others who enjoy what brought everyone together in the first place... good music, fellowship and a chance to make new friends or visit with some old ones.

And, it's all free! My goodness, this is the stuff that makes life wonderful. Honestly, visit the Bellport.com Acoustic Jam yourself and see (and hear) what you've been missing. You'll have a ball.

Toby Walker''

If you are on Long Island, I hope to see you there!!!!!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:41 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun. I wish there was a good place to jam in my area. (Piedmont N.C.)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:56 AM

Dang - I'm jealous! That sounds almost perfect.
I can hear the excitement and thrill in your post. I would absolutely love to be a part of something like that.
I've nosed around here some (not too terribly much) and haven't found anything. It sounds like even half of what you found would be good fun.
I have no doubt these help make you a better player over time.
Good for you - take full advantage and enjoy.

Dan
Old 01-20-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Sounds really great. I have two, round robin, song circles in town but nothing like that. There is a a free for all gig open to anyone 10 miles away but they are songs so having a chord/lyric sheet is beneficial.

Played at many a blues night electric and that gave me the blues. House band goes up plays fast and loud for an hour. Then different components are substituted. A bluesy long night just to get in a few tunes. But blues is a great music to just jump in on, as is bluegrass.

Enjoy your music and steal some licks!
Old 01-20-2018, 12:54 PM

Very cool! Sounds like you had a great time. Must do some looking around here.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 01-20-2018, 01:51 PM

Default acoustic jam

Congrats !! Keep going, keep playing, keep learning !!!

BahPa

2015 Taylor GS-Mini Hog
2002 Martin 000-18 Sunburst
2005 Martin 000-28
2011 Martin 0-12VS
1972 Ovation 12 string
2015 Fender P-Bass Sunburst
2008 Fender Tele Thinline
2011 Fender Tele Sunburst
1998 Washburn BT-9
Old 01-20-2018, 01:57 PM

Good for you. Performing is one of the most stressful hurdles to get over but also one of the most fun and rewarding things you can do.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:39 PM

Default an idea for AGF

Maybe this site should set up a registry of acoustic jams? There's probably more of them out there than we realize...
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Tacoma JM9 jumbo
-Tacoma JK50C jumbo
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Birdbrain; 01-20-2018 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-20-2018, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Nashvillian View Post
Maybe this site should set up a registry of acoustic jams? There's probably more of them out there than we realize...

Now that's a great idea. Moderators, could you sticky a list on the events page?

I searched google a bunch of times before I found this one.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Moderators, could you sticky a list on the events page?
Sorry, but that's not a decision for the moderators. That's above our pay grade.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Sorry, but that's not a decision for the moderators. That's above our pay grade.
I'll weigh in and second, or third, that idea (as if that really makes any difference)
Why not kick it upstairs then, Kerbie?

Dan
Old 01-20-2018, 07:16 PM

Awesome! Sounds like a lot of fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion