The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
in most cases,I would take a Larrivee over a Martin
in this case, yes, most certainly
Dave
In most cases I would take a Martin over a Larrivee.

See the problem? This is like asking random people if you should buy a Ford or a Chevy.

Perhaps you need an X12 series from Taylor.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:54 PM

i'll bet the martin sounds great on youtube videos too. that's the problem--you have to play it to note the difference between the two.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-19-2018, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caperrob View Post
Your thoughts about the radius are interesting - after owning the guitar for almost two years, I was trying to figure out what it was about the neck that was different, then I realized how flat it is. Then I realized that I wished that it had more of an arc to it, like my Strat. Sound wise, well I did upgrade the saddle and bridgepins and it sure held its own against a Lakewood one night at a jam. More than anything, I would really like something a little more comfortable for the couch.
Larrivee recently changed their neck radius profile for all guitars made after 10/1/2017.

http://acousticguitarforum.com/forum...d.php?t=496198
Old 01-20-2018, 01:42 AM

Not a trade I would consider without playing. Totally different.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:41 PM

So....last week, I'm sitting on the couch thinking "man I wish this guitar was just this much smaller...and this neck seems looong". So, you know the process....look up some online shops, listen to some YouTube videos....yada yada yada.

Well, I went to my local store today and played a Larrivee OM 40R. The kicker is....I already played it. It was a little dull to my ears and I honestly thought that it was a mahogany model. Strings maybe? Setup? That's why I was thinking that the rosewood would have something a little extra. But it didn't.

Anyway, first, I have to thank everyone for their thoughts and comments - much appreciated, each and all!!

The bottom line is....don't go out and order a guitar without trying it first.

I'm a closet player who jams once in a while. The GPCPA4 is way more guitar than I will ever need. To my amateur ears, it sounds pretty darn good and the Larrivee was ok - there were things I liked about it. Tone wise? The OM 40 was very nice. My Martin is on another level tonally, at least to me. Maybe the Larrivee needs a little tweaking, but it definitely wasn't good enough for me to do some magic to make it mine.

Next time, I'll do the legwork before posting my thoughts/questions on a new guitar.

Cheers to one and all.

Keep on rocking in the free world!!!!
Old 01-20-2018, 05:17 PM

Glad you got to try one! So many times I have bought based on others opinions and ended up re-selling for a loss. Glad it worked out.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Glad you got to try one! So many times I have bought based on others opinions and ended up re-selling for a loss. Glad it worked out.
Thanks noname

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion