The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-08-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Ditto for me. There are a number of score-type books with JT's songs, but none of those books have guitar tablature. It would be great if there were instructional DVDs (like Peter Huttlinger's) or books like Mark Hanson's with JT material. Does such a thing even exist?

Here's the thing . . there is only one published book that has accurate arrangements of JTs songs. The book actually has both guitar (with some TAB) and piano arrangements of all included songs. I don't know the year it was published (early '70s for sure). It was his first songbook aptly titled "James Taylor". Fortunately I still have my dog-eared copy.

By the way, I've taken a few lessons from Pete Huttlinger and he told me that he has reached out to JT through JT's management group to see if they would be interested in having Pete do a JT instructional DVD (ala Croce, Lightfoot etc) but apparently they are not interested.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
Here's the thing . . there is only one published book that has accurate arrangements of JTs songs. The book actually has both guitar (with some TAB) and piano arrangements of all included songs. I don't know the year it was published (early '70s for sure). It was his first songbook aptly titled "James Taylor". Fortunately I still have my dog-eared copy.

By the way, I've taken a few lessons from Pete Huttlinger and he told me that he has reached out to JT through JT's management group to see if they would be interested in having Pete do a JT instructional DVD (ala Croce, Lightfoot etc) but apparently they are not interested.
Hi Steve, thanks I'll just have to keep looking then. If you get a chance to meet Pete again, tell him I think he is a great teacher. thanks!

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)
Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjino View Post
Ditto for me. There are a number of score-type books with JT's songs, but none of those books have guitar tablature. It would be great if there were instructional DVDs (like Peter Huttlinger's) or books like Mark Hanson's with JT material. Does such a thing even exist?
Judging from reviews on Amazon, in fact several of them have guitar tablature. Try this for example. One of the reviews there refers to other books with tab

http://www.amazon.com/James-Taylor-G.../dp/0793514207
74 Cub Cadet 108
1989 Trek 950
2012 Chrysler Cordoba C7
Blueridge BG-40
Gibson J100 maple
Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 PM

I play a few already mentioned as well as:

places in my past
summers here
caroline I see you
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Is the point you want to learn songs just as JT plays them or to just adapt JT songs to your own style and tastes?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 PM

I don't play any of his songs, don't really listen to him but can see why people like his music (it is nice).

It made me wonder, and it seems like there is a dvd out wth some of his songs, too. Here is a YouTube link, maybe it is helpful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iNIHkdTb6w

Even though I don't listen to him, I could see learning a lot (about writing and putting a song together) from working on some of his songs. I might give it a try myself.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD