The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-24-2003, 10:27 PM

Survey says...
Old 01-24-2003, 10:59 PM

50s or 60s Strat..........Mmmmmmmmm
Old 01-25-2003, 03:41 AM

Smile sometimes you feel like a nut........

Strat or a tele love em' both!
Old 01-25-2003, 09:07 AM

Without a doubt, my 91 American strat.
01 455ce, XXRS #80, P Bass
Old 01-25-2003, 09:18 AM

Gibson ES-345
Old 01-25-2003, 09:20 AM

So many strats....

I use a '79 Martin E-18 for gigs and studio but my favorite guitars are my Rickenbackers.

For a "mainstream" guitar my favorite is a Les Paul
Old 01-25-2003, 09:27 AM

Fender lovers....either Strat or Tele, should check out G&L guitars.

G & L, is the guitar company founded by Leo Fender and George Fullerton. Located on Fender Ave, the company hand makes the guitars, using much of the original guitar making equipment that Leo used back in his Fender days. Of course...Leo is dead, but the G & L guitars live on.

I play a G&L ASAT. It is essentially...a Tele. You can purchase an ASAT Classic, which is the closest in the ASAT line-up to the Tele...using the same bridge etc.

On my ASAT, the bridge is different, as are the pickups. The sound is somewhat warmer than a Tele, but....it plays like one.

The Strat versions....called Legacy's are also wonderfull guitars.

I would compare G&L, to the most expensive custom Fenders....at far less money. Of course...they lack the Brand Name mystique of Fender, but not the pedigree.

The guitar pictured below is an ASAT. It is not mine but very similar. Mine has a natural ash finish, similar to the headstock on the one in the picture. The tuners and bridge are chrome and not gold. AS well, mine has a maple neck. But, the bridge and pickups are identical. As, I didn't have a great pic of my guitar...I lifted the one below from the G & L site. But...it is very similar to mine, and will give you a good idea of how ASAT's and Tele's share some pedigree.

http://www.glguitars.com

Last edited by utah; 01-25-2003 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:37 AM

Fender loyalty is unbelievable. I made a big mistake myself. I had a Mexican Strat for about five years but I decided I wanted a "real" Strat. So I bought an American Strat. The only problem? My cheapo Strat had a bridge humbucker and this one has the traditional three single coils. I've learned the hard way that I don't like singe coils that much! I thought I wanted a real Strat sound, now I realize I'm not that crazy about it. Too thin, I loved the added warmth and power of humbuckers. So I might get something else. Maybe another humbucking Strat but probably a Les Paul or PRS if I can scrounge up the cash.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:30 PM

I like my Gibson ES-335 for it's amazing versatility. I've always been partial to the Gibson electric sound.

There are LOTS of cool PRSs and Warriors and stuff that I would LOVE to get some hands-on experience with, tho.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by taylorwannabe
Fender loyalty is unbelievable. I made a big mistake myself. I had a Mexican Strat for about five years but I decided I wanted a "real" Strat. So I bought an American Strat. The only problem? My cheapo Strat had a bridge humbucker and this one has the traditional three single coils. I've learned the hard way that I don't like singe coils that much! I thought I wanted a real Strat sound, now I realize I'm not that crazy about it. Too thin, I loved the added warmth and power of humbuckers. So I might get something else. Maybe another humbucking Strat but probably a Les Paul or PRS if I can scrounge up the cash.
I love the single coil on the bridge, but I think I'd like a humbucker on the neck pickup. I've looked at Nashville and Fat Tele's for this reason. Hard to part with my standard Tele (BTW, forget the hype. Mexican made is fine.)

Anyone back me up here?
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes
Old 01-25-2003, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by samchar

I love the single coil on the bridge, but I think I'd like a humbucker on the neck pickup. I've looked at Nashville and Fat Tele's for this reason. Hard to part with my standard Tele (BTW, forget the hype. Mexican made is fine.)

Anyone back me up here?
And the answer is...

you need a '72 Custom Reissue! My all-time favorite and best electric. The humbucker in the neck and traditional cluck/spank single coil in the bridge, baby. AWWWW YEAH.

The only mod I've made (which I think rules, BTW) is I've added a Fishman Powerbridge, so it's got a piezo pickup -- like a Nashville Power Tele. I totally dig splitting the signal out to the PA for the piezo and my trusty old Peavey Bandit 75 for the magnetic coils.

And oh yeah...all the reissues are made in Mexico. But they are made to pretty high standards, in fact I've played "the real thing" and measured it up to my MIM reissue. I couldn't tell a diff. The Mexi Teles and Strats coming off the line today are all, IMO, pretty gosh darned good.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:02 PM
.tom the übergeek

I LOVE my PRS but I think my new Anderson is edging it out. I am more of a single coil guy and this thing is every bit as nice as my PRS but has the Fender Mojo....

More Pics

Sahhhh-Weeet
Old 01-25-2003, 07:40 PM

I'm a Strat guy. I've always liked them, but I fell in love when Fender sent me a 2002 Hardtail Strat. Unbelieveable playability, and sustain that you normally don't find in a Strat.

I'll also agree with Utah. For a while, I was playing a G&L ASAT Classic. What a great guitar that was. I sold it to a friend who, ostensibly, will sell it back to me when I want it back.

Hehehehe... yeah... right...

Steve
Old 01-26-2003, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhinollc

And the answer is...

you need a '72 Custom Reissue! My all-time favorite and best electric. The humbucker in the neck and traditional cluck/spank single coil in the bridge, baby. AWWWW YEAH.

The only mod I've made (which I think rules, BTW) is I've added a Fishman Powerbridge, so it's got a piezo pickup -- like a Nashville Power Tele. I totally dig splitting the signal out to the PA for the piezo and my trusty old Peavey Bandit 75 for the magnetic coils.

And oh yeah...all the reissues are made in Mexico. But they are made to pretty high standards, in fact I've played "the real thing" and measured it up to my MIM reissue. I couldn't tell a diff. The Mexi Teles and Strats coming off the line today are all, IMO, pretty gosh darned good.

I have an original (March 73’ with 6 saddles) and the reissues are true to the originals.

No doubt the quality of the "Mexican" fenders is much better now than say ten years ago. The big complaint I have about new fenders is the factory set up. Most feel pretty rough (poor fret dressing and set up IMHO). In most cases all it takes is a simple set up, swapping out the crappy pots for good ones and in some cases a pickup change and you have a great playing and sounding instrument for a lot less cash.

Utah,
Leo is one of my hero’s and I have liked every G&L I have ever played!! But with two strats a tele and an esquire it’s hard to justify another electric.
The pickups in that G&L look similar to P-90’s Do they have that sound?
Old 01-26-2003, 09:03 AM

quote:

<< Utah,
Leo is one of my hero’s and I have liked every G&L I have ever played!! But with two strats a tele and an esquire it’s hard to justify another electric.
The pickups in that G&L look similar to P-90’s Do they have that sound? >>

I lifted this description of the pickups on my guitar and the one shown, along with a synopsis of the sound, from the guitarsbyleo G&L user site. ( similar to the TGF....but for G&L Users. www.guitarsbyleo.com )

- G&L Magnetic Field Design soapbar style single coils 4.4K - 4.9K (pre-1992); 4.7K - 5.3K (post-1991) SC-1, SC-2, Broadcaster, ASAT, ASAT Special, ASAT Junior, ASAT S-3, ASAT Semi-hollow, ASAT Classic Custom neck pickup, ASAT Classic Custom Semi-hollow neck pickup

- These pickups have given G&L its enviable reputation for great tone. The soapbars have higher output than the Strat style MFDs and are "ballsy". They have more midrange than Gibson P-90 alnico soapbars while reproducing the P-90's well-known harmonic complexity. They are great for cutting through a mix. The bass response is strong and well focused. In the neck position, the soapbar MFD produces fine blues tone. In the bridge position, it has excellent spank and clarity for lead work. The ASAT Classic Custom and ASAT Classic Custom Semi-hollow neck pickup pole piece bushings are longer than the standard ASAT Special pickup. An extra 200 windings were added, but they stack up entirely differently and the magnet is further down under as well. They are warm and fat but still have tonal characteristics of the standard MFD single coil.

So, I hope that answers your question. Sounds like you have a nice collection of Fenders. I love Fenders. I purchased my G&L because I love Fenders...if that makes any sense. To me...forget the name on the headstock. My G&L is a Fender, or at least...made by the man called Fender. I've always liked Tele's...but I wanted a slightly different sound, which attracted me to the ASAT. I originally almost bought the ASAT classic, which is very similar to the Tele. But, the way I play...the bridge on the classic...which is like the Tele bridge, rubbed into my right hand. On the ASAT I have, it uses a new bridge (like the one in the pic) that Leo designed....and it is nice and smooth to rest my hand on. And it gives the guitar excellent tone.

But, when I jam, I often use my buddy's Strat as well, when I want that Strat sound. Actually, there are two Strats that we have in our collective. One guy has an 80's version. The other is an early 60's small headstock version....where you have to fuss with the 3 position pickup switch to find the position to get it into that phasey type sound. Unfortunatly....that guitar is showing it's age a bit....and really needs to be re and re'd. Still...it's a blast to play.

I have an early 70's Fender Mustang Bass (short scale), that I use all the time...when It's my turn to play Bass for a while in the jams.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars