The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-06-2002, 07:52 AM

My 13 year old son wants a strat for Christmas. I already have a mexi strat and he plays it all the time, but he wants his own (and he wants a black one.)

He doesn't care if it says "Strat" or if it is a strat copy. (You know how kids are.) I thought squire strats were crap, but i was surprised to learn recently that a guitarist I admire uses one in his act from time to time. I really don't even have $350 to spend on a mexi right now, and I admit I don't know jack about electrics. He is a beginner but pretty good, I don't want to buy garbage, he may play it for quite a while. Someone told me the "johnson" strat copies were decent guitars for the money. Better than squires, as good as mexis and much cheaper. Any feedback on that?
Old 11-06-2002, 08:38 AM

Smile

bagelsgirl...

the current Squires are garbage...period...

Fender's history is whacky complicated...there was a time when at least some of the Squires out there were made in a manner comparable to the current mex ones (which are decent)

Squires have been made all over the place with different specifications....seen Japanese ones...seen Korean ones...seen Indian ones (?!?!)

you seem like a very sensible person...if you don't have the bucks for something decent...why would you have money to waste on junk?????!?!?!?!?!

I'd teach the bugger to save until you can AT LEAST find a used (but current) Mexican one...and even then...how far away would you be from a beat up G&L or beat up American Fender????

Bombay Bagels!
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 11-06-2002, 08:48 AM

BG, Right now for Christmas season Fender has out a Black (only color) special edition Squire bullet for 104.95. Its black with black pickgaurd. Its no G&L but I know a few guys who play these on stage. You just have to remember its still a cheap guitar. I dont know about the Johnsons but Dillion makes a pretty good copy. Jay Turser makes a decent copy (remember I staying below the 200 dollar mark) But for about 179 you can get one of the better Squire strats that will last a good while, built very well and for under 200 Id say the best bang for the buck. JW
Old 11-07-2002, 08:46 AM

Well, mapletrees, of course I don't want to throw away money on a crappy guitar! Thats why I was asking.

I always thought squires were junk, somebody recently told me otherwise, so I was just wondering if people on the forum consider them worthless, or what.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know a whole lot about electrics... What goes bad on them anyway? The tuners? The pivkups are junk, can't you swap them out? But I guess after swapping out for better pickups, I guess you might as well have paid more for a mexi. Then people swap for better pickups later in those, because nobody thinks much of the pickups that come in the mexi.

You know, everybody who isn't informed looks at a price tag to determine quality. There are people who will tell you that you are throwing your money away if you buy a mexi, that you should at LEAST go for a standard American made.

I wasn't as offended as this makes it sound, truly.... I am sure you weren't calling me stupid! By the way, I have now talked to other folks, and they say the Johnsons are crap and whoever told me different is wrong. Maybe I could find a used Mexi, its just that money has become pretty tight this year....you know....he really wants his own guitar and to quit playing Moms... maybe I should check e-bay....I do teach my son about saving up for things he wants, but i'm just thinking Christmas gift, this time...
Old 11-07-2002, 10:09 AM

BG, A lot of people will call a squire Junk and to some people who own PRS, Customshop guitars and the like this may be true. But to a 13 year old a squire can be quite a guitar and for the beating a 13 year can give it id say it will give him at least 4-5 years of good play before the tuners fail (which can be replaced for 20 dollars) a set of pickups from a Mexi-strat can be had for next to nothing if the one in it go bad after a few years. This is a Christmas gift and I understand you have to stay within your budget. Im sorry that some others cant see it. The Squire will do him great until he can buy his own or until finances get better. Get the best you can for what you can spend and he's going to be happy. The 179 dollar strat is a decent first time electric and a skilled player can make it sound like a 10,000 dollar guitar. Im sure he will be VERY happy with it. JW
Old 11-07-2002, 02:36 PM

Default Like you said.

Well , like you said opions on strats are as varied as the folks who play them.

I can only add to the confusioin to say that I have owned many strats over the past nine years including some custom shop strats costing thousands but I have to agree totally with an earlier thread who wrote:

Scott, you'll get as many different answers as there are people. My personal favorite strat is the plain American, ash bodied, maple neck strat. If you truly want top quality and lower price, my opinionis the best strats say "Legacy" on the headstock and are made by G&L.

to qualify that answer the latter part is only true if you buy the GL used they have gotten just as expenisive as Fener new.

I bought two new Fender American one pice swampash with maple neck and fretboard models in sunburst a combo you can not get at the moment and the ash as incredible . Light and clear and perfect . The single coils and new pots and dimensions are all top notch. They are all routed hum single hum so you can modify without routing and I have one kept stock for the Chris Isaak tone and the other with a "Rio Grance" humbucker in the bridge that has a great tone and versatility for wide range of timbres.

The thing is I have sold all my custom shop strats since buying these two wonderful axes and would not trade either one for anything else on the market. I have a PRS solid and hollow body that take care of humbucking tones and a 52 tele im still trying to decide why I own and then a few acoustics and bass made my different manufactures. The American built strat has it for me. I have spent four times that one guitars than no longer live with me as they could not compare with the american .

As for Mexican strats if you can sort through them and replace most of the electronics there is nothing at all wroing with them .

Jimmy Vaghn plays one and has for long time . Remeber Coronal california and Mexico are not that far apart so its material and parts the only reall difference in those. Myself I like to get the good stuff so I go with the american .

GL guitars are not the same as Fenders no matter if you like them or not they are fine guitars . I just don't care for the necks and fretwork but that is entirely personal. If you want to blow five hundred bucks go by one though and try to sell it a week later.

That of course should not be the determining factor as to a guitar ultimate quality it is just the market but it is a real consideration if you are prone to changing your mind and needs. But a GL used and you will need to know what to look for as there are things in all strats that can make them undesireable . But thats another story and I have overstayed my time here already.

later

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 11-08-2002, 06:42 AM

Question ?????????????????????????

Quote:
Originally posted by bagelsgirl

I wasn't as offended as this makes it sound, truly.... I am sure you weren't calling me stupid!

ummmmmmmm?...

That's good to know because I think I called you "sensible"...in fact "very sensible"...and then reiterated (sp?) your point to keep it ringing like a bell of reason...

I don't think mapletrees has much success trying to communicate on this forum.

?????????

good luck
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 11-08-2002, 07:42 AM

Hey JW!
For not that much more, you could have something like this...

http://www.guitaradoptions.com/guitar23.JPG
http://www.guitaradoptions.com/guitar24.JPG
Old 11-08-2002, 08:16 AM

Hey Stixx,

I'm not sure where you were going with your last post, but I have a couple of comments.

If you spend $500 bucks on a G&L, you wouldn't be blowing your money. I also can't understand buying a G&L and selling it a week later. I own quite a few G&Ls and have sold a few. I've had no problem selling a G&L and getting my money back. Also, G&Ls are made to be played, not to be put under the bed to sit.......They're true musicians instruments. They're built for tone and playability and are extremely versitile. Their build quality, materials, and fit-n-finish are top shelf. I also look at things like the tolerances in the neck joint. I've seen some very expensive Fenders that you could almost see daylight where the neck joins the body. I've taken the neck off of almost all of my G&Ls and you almost need to use a mallet to tap the neck back into the the neck pocket, to me that says alot.

If you're buying guitars as an investment, most guitars, even some very expensive ones are a poor choice as an inventment. I look at getting the most I can for my $500 bucks, and not at a name. I'm also one of those that would rather have 2 really nice things than 5 mediocre things, and if that means waiting a little extra time to get exactly what I want, then so be it. I wasn't inpatient and settled for something I really wouldn't be happy with.

just my .02

mojo

Baby-M
Adamas SMT
Takamine Santa Fe, PSF-94
Tacoma D-14
Ric 360 Carl Wilson, #16 of 500
G&L Fanatic!!!
'89 PRS CE-24
Heritage H-150
'69 Fender Twin Reverb (blackface)
Fender Princeton Reverb II (Rivera)
Marshall JCM-2000 DSL 401 combo
Roland Blues Cube
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
Old 11-08-2002, 08:43 AM

Mapletrees, maybe I am the one who doesn't know how to communicate. I read back my post and thought, man he is going to think I was super offended.... so I was actually being sincere when I said I was "sure you weren't calling me stupid."

It reads like a smart alecky comment, huh? I can see that now. Sorry.

No worries, no offense taken, no offense intended.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:12 AM

Nice post mojo!
Old 11-08-2002, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo
G&Ls are made to be played
While I think many guitars are superior to G&L, I do agree with this. I thought I'd point out that Leo started G&L because he was so discusted with the quality of Fender's work.

Fender has gotten somewhat better over the years since going corporate, but not tons.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:21 AM

Thanks Taylorman!

I also agree with you unclemeat, there are many guitars better than G&L, some take it to a whole other level, but their price reflects that also. There are several I would love to have, but I just can't come close to affording them. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, for what I look for in an instrument, they give me more bang for the buck. Other people look for different things and find they get what they look for elsewhere, G&Ls aren't for everyone.

Thanks for listening.....mojo

Baby-M
Adamas SMT
Takamine Santa Fe, PSF-94
Tacoma D-14
Ric 360 Carl Wilson, #16 of 500
G&L Fanatic!!!
'89 PRS CE-24
Heritage H-150
'69 Fender Twin Reverb (blackface)
Fender Princeton Reverb II (Rivera)
Marshall JCM-2000 DSL 401 combo
Roland Blues Cube
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
Old 11-08-2002, 08:59 PM

Default Re: ?????????????????????????

Quote:
Originally posted by mapletrees

I don't think mapletrees has much success trying to communicate on this forum.
When you refer to yourself in the third person it gets twice as confusing as normal JW
Old 11-08-2002, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by taylorman
Hey JW!
For not that much more, you could have something like this...

http://www.guitaradoptions.com/guitar23.JPG
http://www.guitaradoptions.com/guitar24.JPG
I cant read the headstock so what is it and how much? JW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars