The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Default Recorder for YouTube

I know there are threads on this but I am looking for a recorder for youtube. Good quality, affordable, portable (all in one), simple to use. Thank You!!!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310Taylor View Post
I know there are threads on this but I am looking for a recorder for youtube. Good quality, affordable, portable (all in one), simple to use. Thank You!!!!!
Those threads mostly say Zoom Q3HD, I suppose, with some votes for the Kodak Zi8 (now out of production and going for silly money on Ebay).

In either case, or any other low cost video case, bring _lots_ of light. Plenty of light makes all these inexpensive devices work their best.

The advantage of the Q3HD, and the reason it costs significantly more than other similar pocket cams, is the clean clear audio circuitry.

But for acoustic guitar recording many folks still have issues with the conflict between video framing distance and optimum miking distance.

Some of those threads address this in various ways, like using a pocket recorder as a powered mic, or using a preamp with Q3HD along with external mics, or using a stick-on wide angle lens to get the cam closer to the subject, or using unusual video angles to get the cam closer to the subject, or using broadband absorber panels to reduce room reflections and improve the audio. It might be worth using the Search function to find the Q3HD threads and peruse them.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 PM

My personal opinion of the Q3HD is that the video is very poor - definitely below that of the Kodak pocket cameras. I have a Zi8 which is better, and I also have Kodak Zx3, which I prefer even over the Zi8 for video. The Zx3 can be had for about $100. While it's true that the NOS Zi8s going on eBay are pretty nuts, used ones can be had for around $80.

Again, I think the Zx3 has better picture quality, but it's a slight difference. The Zi8's advantage is that it actually has a jack for an external mic. Unfortunately, the audio processing is still nowhere near that of the Q3HD.

This has been said many times around here, but for about the same price as a Q3HD, you can buy a different point-and-shoot HD camcorder (such as the Kodak Zx3 or Zx5) and a Zoom H2 audio recorder. The ADVANTAGE of this is that you can keep the video camera at a distance while putting the audio recorder closer to the source. The DISADVANTAGE (and a dealbreaker for many) of this setup is that it requires you to sync the audio in post.

I'll reiterate this here though: in my opinion, it's unequivocally worth it, and once you get a handle on it, you'll find that doing it is relatively simple. Fran did a great demonstration of syncing audio with video using Reaper - the process is the same or similar with most video editing software.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 PM

While I endorse the use of parallel recording, I must say I've never noticed a dramatic difference between the video captured by the Q3HD and the Zi8. Here's a video with both of them capturing the same scene at the same time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=env3UPYfhBA

The comparison starts at about 2:36 and goes between the Zi8, a Sanyo Xacti HD2000 and the Q3HD.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-12-2012, 11:20 PM

Fran - I've seen that video you link there (watched it several times), and I think it's very useful. I wonder, though, if it's different lighting environments. Most of my experience has been recording gigs in less optimal lighting conditions...
Old 01-13-2012, 03:18 AM

thanks guys appreciate it. Rock on
Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310Taylor View Post
Hi 310-T...
Since I like to record the audio with my Zoom H2, and replace the camera audio in post, there are a lot of good choices for capturing the video portion. And with YouTube itself handling HD uploads better, and broadband speeds generally being up these days, it's all getting to be easier.

I have 3 cameras and a phone which all shoot at least 720 HD, and two which handle full 1080. I've moved away from the dedicated video recorders and given them away.

Depending on what cameras you have around, and other audio recording options, you may already own more cameras than you need.

Lighting is about as important as the camera itself. If you try to record in the dark without some sort of help, you are not going to get very good video no matter which tool you use.

I have had a number of guitar students discover that their smart phones already have HD video shooting capability and they can capture important bits of lesson demonstrations to take home as learning aids.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 AM

Great question ! I am in the same position looking to purchase portable video.
Have done some research and haven't made decision yet.

The Olympus LS-20M has not been mentioned yet and I am considering this unit. Lots of revues available on store sites that go into advantages and dissadvantages. The position of the camera lens and viewing monitor is one of my concerns. I think it will be fine at home and at gigs where there is time for set up with tripod, but could be difficult to shoot in some positions. Found unit for around $200.

Good luck !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD