The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2017, 09:56 AM

Default FG-300 - didn't find it lived up to the Hype

After reading several reviews of red label Yamaha acoustics, I was able to try an FG-300 for sale on CL. I had the cash in my wallet, and was hoping for the best. I didn't think the guitar was worth the $600+ asking price, to me. The guitar played well - action was mostly fine. My feeling was the guitar sounded like a very well balanced laminate, but still a laminate. In a live mix with other instruments, I'm sure it would be fine. However, I didn't find the tone inspiring. For context, I've previously owned the following flat tops: a Santa Cruz 000, an old Terada and a Mossman Flint Hills.

To the Denver gentleman who opened his house for me to try the guitar, I am grateful.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Expecting a Yamaha FG300 to measure up against a Santa Cruz is asking a lot. The lower end Yamahas get praised because of their value as beginner instruments. That praise should always be taken within that context.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-02-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takodabut View Post
After reading several reviews of red label Yamaha acoustics, I was able to try an FG-300 for sale on CL. I had the cash in my wallet, and was hoping for the best. I didn't think the guitar was worth the $600+ asking price, to me. The guitar played well - action was mostly fine. My feeling was the guitar sounded like a very well balanced laminate, but still a laminate. In a live mix with other instruments, I'm sure it would be fine. However, I didn't find the tone inspiring. For context, I've previously owned the following flat tops: a Santa Cruz 000, an old Terada and a Mossman Flint Hills.

To the Denver gentleman who opened his house for me to try the guitar, I am grateful.
Yes, they do tend to be hyped and priced beyond their capabilities. In their day the early FG series was a revelation; a good sounding and well-built guitar for not very much money as I discovered in 1969 with my first Yamaha-the red label FG180. In retrospect while a decent enough guitar, it wasn't anything special compared with today's offerings. However, compared with what else was on offer back then (before you hit the stratospheric heights of US imports), it was excellent value.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:16 AM

Jim, you're right. My expectations were a little high. However, I didn't find the FG-300 was worth $600 to me. My post was intended as an additional perspective for those purchasing sight-unseen.

I'm curious, have people found the old FGs warmed up after a few months of steady playing?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:19 AM

To me, the "red label" Yamahas are like the improperly named "lawsuit" era Takamines and Ibanez electrics. The 1970s and early 80s were a nadir for guitar making and all of the above mentioned guitars were, at the time, a revelation, very good sounding guitars with tone and build quality to rival what was being made in America, but the imports were far less expensive.

But the game has changed. American made guitars are, by and large excellent, and China is producing guitars like Blueridge and Eastman. Those early guitars made in Japan are still fine instruments, but they are nothing special when compared to imported guitars today, and to expect them to sound like a a Santa Cruz is just not realistic.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:24 AM

For recording purposes, those 70's Japanese dreads are very good strummers. Very even, not boomy. Not loud, but you don't need them to be. They're kind of blue-collar and "anonymous," which has its place. So I can see why you didn't like it. And $600 is on the high side, I think.

Couch Standards
Old 10-02-2017, 10:28 AM

Again, I wasn't expecting the FG to sound like my old Santa Cruz. I listed my prior guitars only to provide context - that I'm a spoiled flat top brat without the income I had in the 90s
Old 10-02-2017, 10:41 AM

You don't have to get a red label. I had a Yamaha FG-200 "Snakehead" that sounded terrific. No Santa Cruz, or even good vintage Guild. But then, I paid the equivalent of $150 for it. And I see them all the time for around $200 (they don't all sound as good as mine and many need their necks reset, as mine did, but most are pretty good guitars and great for the money).
Old 10-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Yes, it's all about expectations. I haven't played a FG-300--and I wouldn't pay $600 for an all-laminate guitar--but I recently acquired a "red-label" FG-140 & FG-150 (1970 & 1971), and they are fun to play. I paid less than $500 for both of them combined, and for that money I think they sound surprisingly good...plus they're in relatively good shape and have no structural concerns.

The action is pretty high on the FG-140, but it sounds amazing as a slide guitar using a heavy glass slide, so that's what I'm going to use it for. The FG-150 plays and sound good as is--especially for percussive style rhythm guitar, so that's what I'll use it for--as well as being my campfire/travel guitar. Do they sound like my Martin or Collings? Absolutely not...not even close; however, I didn't expect them to. They'll serve a purpose and are just fun to play without having to worry too much about anything bad happening to them.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 10-02-2017 at 10:46 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fg-300, red label, yamaha fg