The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-24-2024, 02:31 PM

BD=Bass Drum. I use an E-kit with Superior Drummer.

I use a Radial passive DI for the bass.

The separation between the bass and BD is good. The problem is what you noticed. The bass is buried. I mean it does the job but I would have liked more definition. Particularly in the lower frequencies. The part mirrors the drum part. So pretty much constant eighth notes. I think that is the issue. The bass part is as much a rhythmic component as it is an actual bass line, and gets lost in the drum part. Although, soloed with the drums, it sounds fine. I honestly think a P or Jazz bass with roundwounds could have made a difference.

To be clear, I haven't had this problem with other tracks/songs I've recorded. This song was a departure from what I normally do. It was fun though.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:28 PM

Have tried any "frequency slotting" EQ on both the bass and the e-kick drum? Another thing to try is rolling off the mid/neck pickup on the Jazz Bass a little bit to get more midrange from the bass.

I went back and re-read your initial post; personally, I would put the stock pickups back in the bass. They will sound better than the Barts, IME.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:14 PM

Thanks Jeff. I'm sure a real mixing engineer could do wonders. I'm just a guy in his garage "studio".

Btw, I forgot to mention earlier, I really liked the recordings of your band. A lot of real musicianship there. Very nice.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R22 View Post
Thanks Jeff. I'm sure a real mixing engineer could do wonders. I'm just a guy in his garage "studio".

Btw, I forgot to mention earlier, I really liked the recordings of your band. A lot of real musicianship there. Very nice.
Those Rare Blend Recordings were just us (no real engineer) making them in the basement were we rehearse. Or, sometimes up in the living room or the dining room. Nothing special, really. Here are some recordings of real songs we did, beyond just take-outs from a jam.

This one is with my former fretless Rick Turner Renaissance RB4-FL.

"Catemaco" was recorded with my old RB5-FL.

This recording, "Splat!" was done with my '04 Rickenbacker 4003FL using just the toaster pickup I replaced bridge pickup with.

Those were probably the old set of Super Soft Chromes (flatwounds - 40-55-75-95, bought in '03) that I still have and use on my Guild B-301 (1978 build),
Old 03-27-2024, 08:54 AM

Use whatever strings you like. Most guys don't play fretless enough to worry about fingerboard wear. I have coated and synthetic fingerboards from when I played heck of a lot. I have TI Jazz Flats and LaBella tapewound strings on other basses for more of a mellow tone.

I personally like Bartolini pickups on my basses with roundwound strings. They have a modern sound that seems warm for my light technique.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:16 PM

I use fender flats on my fretted jazz. My musical guru uses Rotosound SS rounds on his parts bass he out together in 1979… good technique can prolong wear on a fretless neck.
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:59 PM

Paul Palladino made his mark on fretless bass mid 80’s on these tunes. Always loved his tone and ability to dance with the vocal lines while not getting in the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hC0B2LnYu0

https://youtu.be/s_-QRNVbNM8?si=ZuTm8dvZ_0qn59Sf

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars