The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
A little holiday getaway to San Antonio. Some shopping (no, I don't need any guitars at this time), sight-seeing, and a Tommy Emmanuel concert this evening, with Meet & Greet tickets. I'm excited!

Wandering around the Riverwalk area downtown...

To keep this OT: yes, the X7 made the trip with us. :-)
Cool, my buddies band just played that town Sat night ( of course he lives there so that helps)... i couldn't make it...sigh..
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-13-2017, 03:18 PM

The River Walk is really a lovely area--and some gooood eatin'. Free night concerts and such--and of course, the Alamo!

Spent many years in Houston, but I would have preferred San Antonio, I think.

I'll be back in Houston for a short visit in March, if plans hold. My only aim is to avoid the heat.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Lived in SA for a while. Rode those darn river walk boats way too many times. A fun area down there....didn't care for SA though. Have fun while you are there !
Old 12-14-2017, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Lived in SA for a while. Rode those darn river walk boats way too many times. A fun area down there....didn't care for SA though. Have fun while you are there !
Thanks, John. We enjoy San Antonio as an occasional big city (8th largest city in the country) get-away. We like to wander the Riverwalk area, and also take in the boat ride each time.

Last night was a truly amazing experience in downtown San Antonio and the main reason we are here: a Tommy Emmanuel concert! A nice theater setting in the Tobin Center; we bought the Meet & Greet tickets, which assured us seating in the first two rows. Turns out we were second in line and had front row center! With no stage, we were just a few feet away from the action... an no one in front of us to obstruct the view!

Here's the blog post...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/1...l-concert.html

And a few preview photos...

The first half of the concert was Tommy solo. After a short intermission, he came out with two other guitar players and a female singer, doing mostly Christmas music - originals and amazing versions of some holiday classics.

It was a delightful evening. I've seen many of Tommy's YouTube videos, and while impressive, they don't compare to a live experience where you are close enough to see his mastery of the fretboard.

Definitely a highlight, for us, of this holiday season.

-----

The couple sitting next to us were both guitar players, she also teaches guitar. As we were walking out, she said, "Does that make you want to burn your guitars?"

"Well, it makes me want to put more effort into my practice time."
Old 12-14-2017, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

That is awesome stuff !!! Thanks for posting that.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Guest 928

I must admit to a certain amount of envy. I used to travel quite a bit, but have become quite the hermit. Which makes your contributions all the more meaningful. My wife has been to the River Walk, you've been there, it looks like everyone in the world has been there, but me.

I would like to be at the River Walk, but it would have to be a "beam me over" transaction. And so, I am sort of living through the eyes of others. There is some envy, but there is a lot of appreciation. Thank you for experiences.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
it looks like everyone in the world has been there, but me.
Yes I was there as well... didn't see any of those old school nylon string git tars anywhere.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

"Big city" shopping today, then spent the evening on the Riverwalk: dining, walking, did a boat ride to enjoy all the lights along the river. The Riverwalk is always an interesting experience, even more so during the holidays...

No Tommy Emmanuel concert level WOW, but a nice way to cap off our time in San Antonio.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Marching to the beat of a different drummer...

I had a little time this morning to mess with the DD-65 drum set - I took the drum track off the recording of 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover and added a track with hand drums. Simpler, more fitting to the style on this recording.

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/5...and-percussion
Old 12-19-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Another day, another song...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/fire-rain

I am really enjoying the Yamaha DD65 digital drums. Only down side is the "pedals" (actually more like buttons) tend to slide around as you play them. I'm going to take a shot at making something with a bit more heft to keep the buttons from moving and feel more like a real bass and high-hat pedal.

On edit:

Looking like a kid with his Soap Box Derby entry...

I made two pedals - the button fits into that dark area on the right side, the wood impacts it at a good angle. The spring gives it a bit more feedback, like a real drum/high-hat pedal. I used scrap wood, had to buy a couple springs and hinges... have about $6 into it, as opposed to a couple hundred dollars for "real" pedals. These work great!

Last edited by Captain Jim; 12-19-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:03 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

That is just way cool! Had a problem, and solved it. Once in a while I despair at the human condition, but then here you come along with a neat adaptation that solves a real problem. Thank you.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

That is just way cool! Had a problem, and solved it. Once in a while I despair at the human condition, but then here you come along with a neat adaptation that solves a real problem. Thank you.
Thanks, Evan... although not much despair on this human's condition. It was a bit funny watching the bass drum pedal slide out of my reach - stays put now, and it just feels better. I may have to paint it black or put some chrome and rubber strips on it so it looks more "professional." Or not.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:27 AM

I use some sustain pedals from my keyboards with the drums...still slide sometimes too
Old 12-20-2017, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I use some sustain pedals from my keyboards with the drums...still slide sometimes too
Saw that as an option on YouTube. Alas, I didn't have any Yamaha keyboards sitting around.

I put rubber feet on the bottom of these... an "enthusiastic" test showed they didn't move. A bit of heft helps... also my motto for the holiday eating season.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
"Big city" shopping today, then spent the evening on the Riverwalk: dining, walking, did a boat ride to enjoy all the lights along the river. The Riverwalk is always an interesting experience, even more so during the holidays...

No Tommy Emmanuel concert level WOW, but a nice way to cap off our time in San Antonio.
Looks like a fun place, love the holiday lighting, Jim.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber