The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-30-2002, 08:58 PM

Default Tan line, baby!

No, not that kind of tan line. I finally removed the pick guard from my 615, after a couple of years of ignoring the fact that it had shrunk and was lifting up. Here's the result:

It came off fairly easily, probably because it had been lifting by itself for a long time. I have a new pick guard from Taylor, but for some reason I'm a little reluctant to use it. I'm thinking instead of getting one of those removable jobs at least for the time being.

Weird thing about the old one: It had a strong smell of camphor in the adhesive.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Chris- CMON- cover that up!!! what do you think this is, EUROPE? We are much more conservative around these parts. I'm sure there are some men on the way to your house right now with some white terry towels and robes to cover that up...

Have some decency!

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 05-01-2002, 12:21 PM

This may not be Europe, but it is Southern California. Where these things are concerned, it's close enough for jazz.

What's interesting is that there are several small dark dots in the light area, probably from clear specs on the original guard where more light got thorough. I'll probably install the new guard, but for the moment, I think it's kinda neat, like a spruce pick guard.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:10 PM

Soakin' up that SoCal sun!

Any difference in sound with the pickguard off?
Old 05-01-2002, 03:43 PM

It's really hard to say if there's a difference, so there probably isn't. On the other hand, I haven't been driving it very hard, not wanting to damage the top right now.

BTW, one reason I'm leaving it exposed right now is that it has a lacquer finish. I had to use a little solvent to clean up the glue (it did not roll off under my fingers) I want to make sure that it dries thoroughly before I cover it up.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:46 PM

I had to pick at mine with a cloth. It rolled up better that way and didn't leave and marks.

Aaron
Old 05-01-2002, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpmusic
, it's close enough for jazz.
uh-oh...Stan Freberg fan!
Old 05-01-2002, 07:59 PM

That's what happen when you let down your guard

I have a fine collection of dust mites.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Chris- (and others who have peeled off pickguards)

Are you just straight up peeling these back? Frank Ford over at Frets.com says that you should use a hair dryer? I have heard horror stories of peeling off pickguards and bringing up some wood (especially cedar) with the guard.

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 05-01-2002, 08:35 PM

Is that the George Hamilton signatue edition?? JW
Old 05-01-2002, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rsimper
Chris- (and others who have peeled off pickguards)

Are you just straight up peeling these back? Frank Ford over at Frets.com says that you should use a hair dryer? I have heard horror stories of peeling off pickguards and bringing up some wood (especially cedar) with the guard.
None of my guitars will ever see a hair dryer. Id work 3 hours pulling off a gaurd before I put a hair dryer on my guitar top. Frank dont buy my guitars. Ripping up the wood is caused by ripping up the gaurd to fast. slow and easy is the way to go. Taylor and Gibson gaurds are the easist to remove. martin use the good glue. They take a little more time. JW
Old 05-01-2002, 11:03 PM

Taylor sent me a tech sheet on removing the old guard, and they also recommend heat, though they use a heat gun. It actually makes a certain kind of sense, but my pick guard was already lifting up around the edges anyway so I gave it a shot, working very slowly and pulling along the surface as much as possible with my fingers close to the soundboard at all times to ensure I didn't lift up any of the finish or wood. The guard was too thick to peel back on itself, but I didn't pull straight up at any time. If I had run into any resistance, I'd have gotten out the hair dryer. Taylor puts a strong disclaimer on the tech sheet about damage done by the end user, but I figure they know what they're talking about.

One question for those who have made a switch: Do you do anything to the surface other than cleaning it? I know that wax will prevent things from sticking too well, but I'm concerned that the adhesive will stick to a "bare" finish too well, preventing another change down the road when the new one starts to shrink. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2002, 02:12 PM

I pulled up mine on a 4 month old taylor, and it has a really light line. I just did it straight, no heat, only took about 4 minutes...scraping off the glue took forever though...little googone and the side of a pick did the trick...after about an hour...nothing hurt...Love it....NOW GO AWAY TAN LINE
Old 05-09-2002, 06:01 PM

I did use a hair dryer when I took my pickguard off ... no harm done. Also, the glue came off much more easily on the parts that seemed to have gotten more heat. Eh ... to each his/her own, ya?

Les
Old 05-09-2002, 08:37 PM

A good stiff putty knife ought to get the job done quick.

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification