The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-08-2002, 09:17 PM

Question Baritone Acoustics?

Hey Yall,
Do any of you know anything about Baritone acoustic guitars. I know Taylor made a one-off for Dave Matthews, but I don't really know much else about them. What are the advantages and disadvantages of them as well. I'm all ears on this one. Best wishes yall
Matt
Old 04-09-2002, 06:41 AM

Baritone flattop acoustics appeal to those who need tones on a lower spectrum than the average dread or jumbo can produce. The few i've heard of employ a jumbo body, heavier gauge strings, and a lower tuning with mahogany or maple being popular though I know of one which is played by Don Ross which is Padauk.

They are more or less 'purpose built' for certain types of sound which is also likely why I don't know of any being produced by the larger factories, the market simply isn't there. However, there are some smaller shops such as Santa Cruz and single builders such as Lance McCollum and Marc Beneteau which have had success with this design.

Derek
Old 04-10-2002, 11:13 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Matt

A good friend of mine plays an Alvarez baritone. He's a Taylor man, but he says the Alvarez sounds suprisingly good.

Ron
Old 04-17-2002, 11:23 PM

I got an Alvarez AV-2 Baritone from eBay for $340. It's got a cedar top, sunburst finish, and was designed by Michael Tobias and Joe Veilette, both well-respected bass luthiers up in Woodstock, NY. I tune it B to B. It's pretty fun to play, and kind of requires a different sort of sensibility, because open chords like the G major shape sound kind of muddy in the bass. It also looks surprisingly similar to a Breedlove guitar. Go figure. If you search eBay right now, you'll see tons of these exact guitars there.
Old 04-20-2002, 05:04 PM

I tried the Alvarez bari in a store once. I thought it sounded excellent. In fact, I think Alvarez is a decent bang for the buck in general. Anway, if Taylor ever comes out with a baritone and/or an archtop, I'll have to come out of TAS recovery.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:45 PM

Never played one and don't know much about them, but that Santa Cruz Bob Bozman model looks like a beauty.

Jay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification