The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-21-2017, 12:27 PM

Default Classic tone for £1000?

I play a lot of styles, and have gone through many guitars, but my constant benchmark has been my 1971 Yairi nylon, bought in 1971 with the first few pay checks I ever earned. But it never mic'd very well in a studio and hopeless for live use, because of its amazing resonance I always thought .. so I bought a Line 6 Variax which sounds great and models itself on a few well known hugely expensive guitars well... it does the job... er... did the job? I have another thread going regarding trying to straighten out my Line 6 Variax, and am coming to the painful conclusion that all my travelling has probably done for it, and I may have to consider replacing it.

But what with? Where to start.... I am thinking I have to spend 1000 quid to get a half-decent instrument. A quick quiz at the web suggests Kremona Verea, but I don't think I can get one in UK ...

Whatever it is, it must have tone and woody resonance that stands on its own before turning on any on-board pre-amp... so that I can still enjoy picking it up and noodling with it just like my trusty old Yairi, after all that's what it's all about eh?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:58 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Does it need a cutaway and electronics? I think you could land an Alhambra 7P or even an 8P for that price, but that's a traditional classical without the jazzing up...
Old 04-22-2017, 05:13 AM

Hi, yes it must have a decent classical tone, I see a lot of so called crossover stuff being sold and I imagine the tone is poor and you'd have to use a Fishman Aura to restore the tone ... I don't really want to,have more boxes in the chain...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical