The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-03-2015, 10:15 PM

Default Recommended albums for chord melodies?

What are your recommendations for albums that are all or mostly chord melodies? Jazz for sure, but any other genre as well. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:40 AM

My knowledge is limited, more than it should be, but here's my favorites, what I listen too.

Joe Pass - Virtuoso (series). All solo guitar, the classic.
Johnny Smith - anything. He plays with a band but his parts are so "fat" with harmony notes, that I think it counts as chord solo.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 06-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Ted Greene, Solo Guitar
Jack Grassel, Guitar Smoke

And buy Sid Jacobs' "Bill Evans for Guitar" book if just for the beautiful (albeit much to breif) accompanying CD.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-04-2015, 10:58 AM

Any of George Van Eps' old solo albums--they have all been rereleased.

There also is one called "Legends" that is half Johnny Smith and half Van Eps; all solo guitar.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:57 PM

Default Tsuyoshi Ichikawa

A disciple of the late great Ted Greene. The cd is entitled "The Solo Guitar of Tsuyoshi Ichikawa."
Old 06-05-2015, 02:41 PM

Earl Klugh - "Naked Guitar". Earl Klugh is known mostly for his "smooth jazz" albums, but Naked Guitar is an awesome solo guitar album. I'd go so far as to say Earl Klugh is to the guitar as Bill Evans is to the piano.

+1 for Ted Greene! There are some great resources on the internet if you are interested in his playing.

Joe Pass has several solo guitar albums including the aforementioned Virtuoso series. I also like his "I Remember Charlie Parker", "At Akron University" and "Songs for Ellen" albums (all solo guitar work).

Jimmy Bruno put out a great solo guitar album several years ago entitled "Solo". I think if you like Joe Pass, you'll appreciate Jimmy Bruno's offering.

Don't forget Eric Skye, who is also a frequent Acoustic Guitar Forum contributor. He's got several nice solo guitar albums.

Royce Campbell also has several solo guitar albums that are very good.

Mundell Lowe's Guitar Moods is not 100% solo but contains mostly solo guitar pieces and among my favorite jazz guitar albums. Mundell always plays with a drop D tuning much like Johnny Smith.

Lastly, I'll mention George Van Eps (7-string guitarist). While he is not my favorite, he really developed a pretty complete method of playing solo jazz guitar on the 7-string and influenced a lot of other great players.

Kudos to Vernon for suggesting Tsuyoshi Ichikawa. Never heard of him before, but now have his solo guitar album...THANK YOU!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:50 PM

For a recent release check out Julian Lage-World's Fair. Great solo guitar!
Old 06-06-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon View Post
A disciple of the late great Ted Greene. The cd is entitled "The Solo Guitar of Tsuyoshi Ichikawa."
Ordered that album. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Earl Klugh - "Naked Guitar". Earl Klugh is known mostly for his "smooth jazz" albums, but Naked Guitar is an awesome solo guitar album. I'd go so far as to say Earl Klugh is to the guitar as Bill Evans is to the piano.

+1 for Ted Greene! There are some great resources on the internet if you are interested in his playing.

Joe Pass has several solo guitar albums including the aforementioned Virtuoso series. I also like his "I Remember Charlie Parker", "At Akron University" and "Songs for Ellen" albums (all solo guitar work).

Jimmy Bruno put out a great solo guitar album several years ago entitled "Solo". I think if you like Joe Pass, you'll appreciate Jimmy Bruno's offering.

Don't forget Eric Skye, who is also a frequent Acoustic Guitar Forum contributor. He's got several nice solo guitar albums.

Royce Campbell also has several solo guitar albums that are very good.

Mundell Lowe's Guitar Moods is not 100% solo but contains mostly solo guitar pieces and among my favorite jazz guitar albums. Mundell always plays with a drop D tuning much like Johnny Smith.

Lastly, I'll mention George Van Eps (7-string guitarist). While he is not my favorite, he really developed a pretty complete method of playing solo jazz guitar on the 7-string and influenced a lot of other great players.

Kudos to Vernon for suggesting Tsuyoshi Ichikawa. Never heard of him before, but now have his solo guitar album...THANK YOU!
Earl Klugh plays a flattop, does he not?

Not that it matters, just asking out of curiosity.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
Earl Klugh plays a flattop, does he not?

Not that it matters, just asking out of curiosity.
Earl Klugh plays nylon string (classical) guitars.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Earl Klugh plays nylon string (classical) guitars.
Ah! Ok.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Earl Klugh - "Naked Guitar". Earl Klugh is known mostly for his "smooth jazz" albums, but Naked Guitar is an awesome solo guitar album. I'd go so far as to say Earl Klugh is to the guitar as Bill Evans is to the piano!
While I agree that there is truth to that statement it can also be said that many of us, on all instruments, have a bit of Evans in us. That includes Coltrane.
The first time I heard Earl I knew he'd be stretching the world of the classical guitar. As a mostly flute player I love duets with guitar.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:35 AM

In addition to the others mentioned, check out Martin Taylor. His cd Artistry is a good place to start.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:47 PM

I just came across this thread. Barney Kessel did an album called "Solo", and it's all pickstyle chord melody. Highly recommended.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Johnny Smith had a solo guitar album - Man With A Blue Guitar.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops