The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-03-2015, 07:49 AM

Default Focusrite

I've searched the recording thread for a review and, it is mentioned in several threads but in conjunction with a different subject. So, for a recording rookie (I've only used a Zoom Q3hd recorder) any reviews of this device and others like it? thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...850_em_1p_5_lm
Old 11-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I haven't used the one you are looking at, but I have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. I'm well satisfied with mine.

Will the 'solo' model have enough inputs and outputs for your needs? It seems like it does not have separate control for headphone output and mains output level; will that be an inconvenience for you? One of the reason I got the 6i6 was that it could be used in standalone mode which does not require a connection to the PC (just used the mic preamps, headphone output, and mains output to PA speakers); is this a need you may have?

Have you thought through all the ways you might want to use the interface? Once you do that you have a list of the features you need to shop for.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 11-03-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:15 AM

With only 1 mic preamp and a single line/instrument input, you may find yourself limited in the near future. I'd look at the $150 range of interfaces that will allow you to use 2 mics or input 2 line/instruments at one time.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-03-2015, 10:45 AM

I've got the Scarlett 18i20, and love it. I'd second the idea to get a larger one as well. 2 or more mic preamps lets you record in stereo, record guitar and vocal simultaneously, etc.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-04-2015, 11:04 AM

Well, my intent is to just record and play back. Like Q3hd experience. The audio left something to be desired, but it was a "video" product with "enhanced" audio... or so the advertising went. My original thought was to convert my bulky sheet music book to a digital format by purchasing the new Ipad Pro slated for release November 11th. While looking at that option I ran across the option to plug in a better mic for recording to the Ipad.... then I subsequently saw a thread whereby the comment was made that it's better to record directly into the DAW as opposed to a live mic. So, the short answer is that other parsing/clipping out "dead air" from what I record, I doubt I'd ever do any "real" editing. Certainly, wouldn't have the need for midi options or, adding keyboards/drums or any other inputs. I just want to be able to share my music with friends/family and have the recordings for "posterity"... as I've got 3 young grandsons and another grandchild on the way!

By the way, I recently invested in diy room treatments, OC703 panels, both absorbers and bass traps. It really has made a significant difference. So, I'll probably record both ways; direct and live, if that's the right terminology?

So, given the additional info on intent... does advice change? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:19 PM

If that's all you intend, the original one you posted should be just fine.

Recording as a hobby can be a slippery slope, though. "Well, I read micing acoustic with 2 mics is better sounding and want to try that" "I wonder how an overall room mic would sound in addition?" "One of the kids would love to record a duet with me."

Yes, I am being a little tongue-in-cheek but I've gotten burned a couple of times from buying "just enough" to get the job done. Probably colors my opinion and buying decisions a little bit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
...[snip]...
By the way, I recently invested in diy room treatments, OC703 panels, both absorbers and bass traps. It really has made a significant difference. So, I'll probably record both ways; direct and live, if that's the right terminology?

So, given the additional info on intent... does advice change? Thanks in advance.
If you are thinking of using mics to record your acoustic guitar you may want to seriously consider an interace with 2 preamps. In the Focusrite interface lineup that could be the 2i2, 2i4, 6i6, etc. Recording with 2 mics opens up more possibilities that a single mic.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 11-04-2015, 03:34 PM

I use the 2i2 and am happy with it. I suggest getting 2 inputs at minimum as well. You'll never think "Man, I wish I didn't have that extra input.", but you very well might think "Man, I wish I had another input."
Old 11-04-2015, 04:35 PM

I've got the 2i2 and am very happy with it.

It allows for recording acoustic guitar in stereo and, depending on your microphones, plenty of opportunities to try the different combinations possible with two inputs (spaced pair, XY, mid-Side etc).

Kym
Old 11-05-2015, 09:51 AM

And the winner is...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2

After viewing several of the youtube videos on this subject... I gained a better understanding of the advice given here... I guess "rookie" is an understatement in my case...

Now, my "front end" will be (to start with):

Vocals: Heil pr35 - Harmony G-XT - Scarlett 2i2 - Ipad Pro.
Guitar: Fishman Platinum Pro analog - Scarlett 2i2 - Ipad Pro.

I'm assuming I can output a file like SoundCloud from the Ipad Pro? Will I even need a DAW? Given I'm after a "live sound" recording, not adding anything via a midi input or over dubbing (if that's the right term) with additional vocal or guitar tracks. Some of the youtube videos I watched, the person seemed to be more of a computer geek than a musician. I'm no great musician myself but, much more so than a computer geek! what say y'all?
Old 11-06-2015, 07:35 AM

Yes, you need a DAW - that is the recording software. You're going to want to balance the vocal vs guitar. Probably add a little EQ and reverb. Output to WAV (preferred over MP3), then upload the WAV file to SOundcloud.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
And the winner is...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2

After viewing several of the youtube videos on this subject... I gained a better understanding of the advice given here... I guess "rookie" is an understatement in my case...

Now, my "front end" will be (to start with):

Vocals: Heil pr35 - Harmony G-XT - Scarlett 2i2 - Ipad Pro.
Guitar: Fishman Platinum Pro analog - Scarlett 2i2 - Ipad Pro.

I'm assuming I can output a file like SoundCloud from the Ipad Pro? Will I even need a DAW? Given I'm after a "live sound" recording, not adding anything via a midi input or over dubbing (if that's the right term) with additional vocal or guitar tracks. Some of the youtube videos I watched, the person seemed to be more of a computer geek than a musician. I'm no great musician myself but, much more so than a computer geek! what say y'all?
Couple of thoughts:
One, the USB output on the back of the Focusrite looks like a USB type B connector.... so you might check with Apple and make sure USB 2 will work and if they have an adaptor or combination of adaptors to accomplish this and that it will work with (NEW) Smart connection on the I Pad Pro .

And two you might check with Focusrite or Sweetwater to see if the Scarlett 2i2 , will work with and will be supported with the iOS 9 operating system that will be on the I Pad Pro As that OS is not listed on the compatible list on the Focusrite web sight .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-08-2015, 02:09 PM

thanks for the "heads up", I'll check into that before I do anything....
Old 11-14-2015, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

If you're going to be recording to an iPad, the iTrack Dock is a nice bit of kit. But I don't know how well it'll work with the iPad Pro - I do intend to find out as soon as they are a bit more available -
Old 12-11-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
If you're going to be recording to an iPad, the iTrack Dock is a nice bit of kit. But I don't know how well it'll work with the iPad Pro - I do intend to find out as soon as they are a bit more available -
I had to "hold off" on doing anything with this project until after Christmas... the budget is a little stressed this time of year... but I did look into the ipad track dock and the short answer is it won't fit the ipad pro... you can use a cable to connect the two, but it won't slide right into the lighting connection on the dock. Just for info, it is 4 1/4" from the bottom edge of the ipad pro to the center of the lighting connection.. so the connection on the dock would have to have at least 4 1/2" from the bottom to line up. I know the connector on the dock slides to accommodate the mini and the air but according to the Sweetwater guy, not enough to fit the pro. I can't confirm because I don't have access to the focusrite itrack dock, if anyone does, could you measure it and inform? Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD