The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-08-2010, 04:28 PM

Default Nylon pickup

I need to be getting a pickup for my classical and I don't have a ton of money to spend. I was considering a K&K pure western mini but I don't know if that would work to well in the classical. I was going to put this in the electric section but thought it would fit a little better here.

Thank you

Jeff
Old 08-08-2010, 05:28 PM

I don't know how much the KK pick up costs, but you could have a look at the pick up they sell at the Kremona company. Kremona is the Bulgarian company that makes the Orpheus Valley all-solid wood classical guitars you may have seen in GC. They make a make a pick up which is so simple to install - you just slide under the strings on the bridge when you change strings, plug in and off you go. I bought this pick up a year ago for my Orpheus Valley and it worked perfectly. We can't mention prices but it wasn't too much, as I remember.

Check out their website: orpheus.kremona.com
Old 08-08-2010, 05:40 PM

the kremona pickup looks like a pretty darn good idea. I'm gonna have to try one of those.
'94 Gibson Gospel
Old 08-08-2010, 11:22 PM

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I guess I"m looking for something around $100 more or less. I know someone who can put it in for free so I just need to the pickup. Thanks again
Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 AM

I know of several pro guitarists that use the McIntyre CT-400 pickup. I bought one (~$80), but have not got around to putting on any of my classicals. It sticks onto the underside of the top plate.

Mike
Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM

Thanks, that looks pretty good.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 AM

I have the K&K pickup in my nylon string. I have both the Pure classical and the mic and I love the pickup. I have played around with it using just the Pure and it is very very good. I would recommend it without reservation.

Note the the Pure pickup for classical (nylon string) is different than the Pure Western Mini. The classical pickup includes 4 pickups instead of three. IIRC the pickups are mounted to the bottom of the top and not to the bridge plate.

good luck

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 AM

Thanks Jack for the info. I've heard so much good about the K&K that I really want to try it. It sounds interesting that the pickups are mounted to the top and not the bridge plate.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:53 PM

Jeff

I went back and looked at Dieter's web site and I think I told you wrong. Take a look at this:

http://www.kksound.com/pureclassic.html

Regardless, I think it is an excellent pickup.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 08-09-2010, 03:19 PM

You might want to consider a Schertler DYN-G.

http://www.schertlerusa.com/dyn-guitar.htm
Old 08-09-2010, 08:59 PM

Thanks guys, I'm kind of nervous about putting a pickup onto the top of my guitar. The schertler looks interesting but I'm afraid it would come off on stage or something. I don't want to have to put the pickup on while on stage. I'd really like a pickup that goes on the inside but if I could be assured it the pickup wouldn't come off the guitar I would look at it. I won't be sitting down or standing still while on stage so I want something pretty solid.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 AM

I believe Schertler also has a permanent-mount version called the C-Dyn which can go on the backside of the top.

It's all about how much you want to spend, though. Jim Warwick and I had a conversation once during which he said his experience led him to believe a K&K Hot Spot works almost as well as the Pure Classic and is less feedback-prone (one head versus four). A Schertler is going to be the best, but we're talking $300 or so versus $40.

Nick
Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM

I found the K&K to be bass heavy and "wolfy" sounding,and it was installed correctly , HOWEVER thats just my opinion
usual disclaimers apply.

Rick
Old 08-15-2010, 11:49 AM

Default Soundhole Mic

I've used the GHS soundhole mic before and it sounds great. I'm not a big fan of direct pickup sound though I use the RMC Acoustic Gold and run it through the Fishman Aura system when playing live. The GHS soundhole mic is very clean and extremely easy to use plus for the money you'll be hard pressed to find better. It's hard for me to hear a beautiful classical guitar with all its attributes bypassed by any pickup so I prefer a mic anytime it's possible.
Here's a description and a link to the mic.

Unidirectional microphone is mounted at the end of a 5" gooseneck. Unit clips to the edge of the soundhole. Mic head may be positioned inside the guitar or outside, as the player deems most satisfactory. Volume control built-in to the battery box / jack. Mic is powered by 1 AA battery (battery life ~1 year). High quality low impedance (10,000 ohm) output signal. Frequency response of 100-15000 Hz. Created by Mini-Flex Designs & GHS.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/GHS-Pro-...ELAID=29469970
Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 AM

I just ordered JJB Electronics EXT 100 with 2 piezzo option with optional jack stick-on mount(no extra charge). Going to give it a test drive on my Yamaha C40 as soon as I receive it - if I like the way it sounds, I will permanently glue it inside of the Yamaha. For the $25 it cost its worth a shot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical