The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 PM

Default Best A/E unplugged crossover?

Looking for a a/e crossover nylon that sounds good/rich unplugged, with a more latin/jazz/bossa nova feel (but a sweet sounding traditional classical sound would be fine). Have had mixed results with Taylors..played a used n64ce today that sounded dead and lots of string buzz, maybe a new nut and some other adjustments would fix it (it was pretty blue sunburst and cheap, but not sure how much work it would need). Also played a used ns42ce that sounded pretty sweet and felt great. Yamaha NTX700 was ok, played two models, one was a lot better than the other but I liked the feel of the Taylor. Store didn't have the ntx1200r, would like to try that as well.

So what else is out there that sounds good if you aren't going to use the pickup that often? Takamine 135sc looks like it's great plugged in but not sure how it is unplugged. Breedlove? And how do they feel? The best feel I had was on that Ovangkol ns64ce. So those of you crossover players, tell me why you love the sound of your guitar unplugged!
1970 Yamaha FG300
2004 Esteve Classical Senorita rosewood/cedar
2010 Cordoba Fusion nylon A/E
1978 Takamine F350M (Maple)
1980 Guild G212 Twelve String
1974 Gibson ES335

STOLEN: Goodall Aloha Standard and Yamaha FG180,, both rigged to explode at a time uncertain. I wish.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:37 AM

You didn't say how much you have to spend. I suspect there are some good options if price isn't much of an object, but crossovers seem to be built primarily for plugging in, so below a grand you may not find what you're looking for.

I have a Cordoba Fusion 14, which has what I think of as a contemporary acoustic tone relative to a straight classical. It doesn't have the low-end growl or as much volume as a decent classical, but I'm guessing that's due mostly to the placement of the bridge with a 14-fret neck. I bought the guitar mainly for gigging (the B-Band electroncs are great), so the acoustic tone isn't as much an issue for me as it is for you, but Cordoba is now producing one or two 12-fret Fusions with full-depth bodies, so that might work better for you. Just be aware that Cordoba has some consistency problems in their sub-grand guitars.

Here's a review the Fusion 14 by Teja Gergen at Acoustic Guitar Magazine. There's a link at the top of the screen to a video. http://www.acguitar.com/article/defa...rticleid=23916
Old 07-04-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftracy3 View Post
Looking for a a/e crossover nylon that sounds good/rich unplugged, with a more latin/jazz/bossa nova feel (but a sweet sounding traditional classical sound would be fine). Have had mixed results with Taylors..played a used n64ce today that sounded dead and lots of string buzz, maybe a new nut and some other adjustments would fix it (it was pretty blue sunburst and cheap, but not sure how much work it would need). Also played a used ns42ce that sounded pretty sweet and felt great. Yamaha NTX700 was ok, played two models, one was a lot better than the other but I liked the feel of the Taylor. Store didn't have the ntx1200r, would like to try that as well.

So what else is out there that sounds good if you aren't going to use the pickup that often? Takamine 135sc looks like it's great plugged in but not sure how it is unplugged. Breedlove? And how do they feel? The best feel I had was on that Ovangkol ns64ce. So those of you crossover players, tell me why you love the sound of your guitar unplugged!
I've been on a similar quest as you for the last few years. I owned a Takamine TC135SC for a while, by the way, and sold it because of its acoustic sound. Not that it was weak, but to my ears it simply didn't have the sweet, rich sound I've heard on classicals (yes, I know, I want it all!). I found it even a little harsh.

I've also been through 3 Taylors - a 44, a 42, and a 72. All of them for me were too weak sounding acoustically for them to be worth keeping.

I share your curiosity about the Yamaha NTX1200R. I recently tried a 700 in GC and I loved the slimline feel. It looks, though, that GC may be playing safe for the moment by going for the cheaper 700 and seeing how that one sells before investing in the 1200.

The Ovation Classic also has continued appeal for me. 12 frets to the body, which I prefer, 1 7/8" nut width, solid cedar top, mid and deep bowl backs, and state-of-the-art electronics. I used to jam with someone years ago who had one. It was one nice guitar.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Thanks, actually I have a Fusion 14RS..I like it, it sounds good but it just doesn't feel like the NS42CE I played yesterday (which I'm tempted to get). Also wondering how much tone some nut/bridge/neckwork on the NS64ce might bring back. It's tempting because of the price but it would be a gamble because I'm starting from dead with string buzz.
1970 Yamaha FG300
1974 Gibson ES335

STOLEN: Goodall Aloha Standard and Yamaha FG180,, both rigged to explode at a time uncertain. I wish.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks, actually I have a Fusion 14RS..I like it, it sounds good but it just doesn't feel like the NS42CE I played yesterday (which I'm tempted to get).
Well, the feel is important. There's no denying that.

Quote:
Also wondering how much tone some nut/bridge/neckwork on the NS64ce might bring back. It's tempting because of the price but it would be a gamble because I'm starting from dead with string buzz.
If it hasn't suffered any damage, chances are the NS64ce can be brought up to snuff by a good tech. But if it's being offered at a cheap price, be wary. I don't know what kind of money used NSs are fetching, but in general a used Taylor won't sell cheap unless there's something wrong or it's a dud. Also, bear in mind that maple will generally produce a brighter, drier sound than other back/side woods. I like maple for steel strings, but it wouldn't be my choice for nylon.

Based on what you've written, I recommend steering clear of the NS64ce since (a) you don't know what it needs or whether it will perform as you like after the work is done, and (b) you already know that you like the NS42ce better. Then, if you haven't already done so, bring your Fusion to the store to compare it side by side with the NS42ce to see which you like better in feel and tone, judging tone in your hands and while someone else plays. If the Taylor floats your boat, then you have your answer.

Last edited by cpmusic; 07-04-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Yamaha NTX700 was ok, played two models, one was a lot better than the other but I liked the feel of the Taylor. Store didn't have the ntx1200r, would like to try that as well.
Yamaha makes some excellent instruments, but the NTX models all have shallow bodies. That works well for plugging in (comfort, too) but it often produces a weaker, thinner acoustic tone than a guitar body of a standard depth.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:40 AM

Good advice and thanks, will go look at the ns42ce again today, and I'm in no hurry. BTW the other something wrong with the Taylor NS64ce other than the stuff I mentioned and why it's price may be relatively low is that it's a blue sunburst, which I guess is harder to resell. I like it, it's different, but some folks don't like a blue guitar...
1970 Yamaha FG300
1974 Gibson ES335

Old 07-05-2010, 05:44 PM

I bought a Cervantes signature crossover cocobolo.spruce top and love it. Highly recommend his line great playability and tone. Also play a Jesus bellido classical that has great balanced range.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:47 PM

Look at the Cordoba GK Studio. Excellent crossover guitar (however, wit a 1.9 neck)
Old 07-11-2010, 03:39 PM

THe Cervantes Crossover 1 has exceptional tone & playability. But you will have to add aftermarket electronics to it.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:45 PM

I just posted a fat list of great options on the thread "Nylon Cutaway for Blues". I would be happy with any of these and virtually all would be good unplugged. My experience with Taylor and Martin nylon string guitars has been unsatisfying at any price, but especially at the prices cost. Note that I didn't include with my list Multiac or many other great guitars... it is because they are not good unplugged.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Note that I didn't include with my list Multiac or many other great guitars... it is because they are not good unplugged.
I completely agree with this comment. The multiac is wonderful and I have one, but it's no good unplugged. I understand what you're feeling with the weakness of the Taylor NS series, however, did you try the NS74ce? I have one myself and it's really a wonderful guitar. It's just like the NS72ce only it's a bit bigger and has a lot more power coming through unplugged than the other models. give it a try if you're wililng to pay the price.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 AM

Uh, I'm currently advertising a Cervantes Crossover I IR on this board. Sounds really good, better than my NS74CE. All it needs is a pickup...;-)
Old 07-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Here are a few other nylon string crossovers not mentioned so far that you might consider. Buscarino Cabaret or Grand Cabaret http://www.buscarino.com/guitars.html , Lowden Jazz series http://www.georgelowden.com/ , the Kenny Hill Classic Crossover, http://www.hillguitar.com/website/ca...er_series.html , and the Kenny Hill La Curva http://www.hillguitar.com/website/ca...d_guitars.html.

Gene Bertoncini, Ken Hatfield, Steve Howell and Dorothy Wagner all play Buscarino's. If money were not a factor that would probably be my first choice for a nylon string jazz guitar. I have a Lowden S25J that I bought used for a very nice price, it's a very good guitar for jazz and bossa nova. Mine is a 14 fret rosewood with cedar top. I've compared it with a few of the Taylor nylon strings and think the Lowden has a better unplugged sound. The Hill guitars have more of a classical sound than either the Buscarino or Lowden. I've played a La Curva and Kenny's Estudio cutaway and thought the La Curva was a much better guitar. The Hill Classic Cutaway is one of the guitars I'd like to try. Based on a couple of Kenny's other Master series guitars I've played I imagine it would be sweet.
Regards,
Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical