The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-22-2002, 09:34 PM

Default Changing Strings....

It's really up to you. I guess right now I'm young and hoping to be a serious singer songwriter and change strings (i use D'Adario or Elixors polywebs--both coated) every 2-3 weeks or right before I play a show.

Partly this is because I break them a lot. I do a lot of alternative tunnings which while really fun, kills strings pretty fast. I never realized you don't have to change classical strings very often....hmmmm.....i think i'll take that up!
Old 04-25-2002, 02:57 PM

I’m a pretty aggressive player, so I “fuzz out” the coated strings pretty fast. They're usually crap within 5 weeks. I use Martin bluegrass (80/20 bronze) on my 415 jumbo and they last 3-4 weeks before sounding bad.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:19 PM

I change non-coated strings after about 20 hours of play average. I'm on my first polywebs on my 712ce and they've been through about 30-40 hours and they're just getting a bit dull. Maybe I'll change 'em tonight.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:51 PM

My wife ask's me that all the time.....

in my defense of coarse I tell her "its a new kind and I want to try them"

Now I use Elixars exclusively, and think I will follow Buddiesorg's lead and seldom change them until I really notice them going dead.

Won a strap from the B.I.W.B. contest.
Ibanez AW300NT (its a new start)
Old 04-30-2002, 10:04 PM

Well ... I just changed strings on 13 guitars in the last 3 days (actually, didn't change any yesterday, so it's really 2 days) ... and now my 655 is at Taylor because of it (I put LKSM-12 strings on it ... and found that it definitely needs modification) ... I miss it already ... I hope it comes home soon.

I still have 2 guitars to restring ... but only one set of strings ... so I'll have to go to the guitar store to get another set of strings sometime ...
Old 05-01-2002, 12:50 PM

I'm 100% in line with Bruce (bcaylor) with the same frequency. The bottom line being your style, play frequency and preference will dictate when you need to change strings.

I never do just one. All or none at all.
Old 05-11-2002, 02:17 PM

Anothersmith:

I agree that changing nylon strings takes alot of time. In my opinion twice as much time as changing steel strings. I change the strings on the guitar I use most often every 4-6 weeks. I use D'Addario Pro-Art'e Extra Hard Tension. I sometimes use the composites, but I don't think they are worth the extra $4.

I allways make sure to change strings 2-3 days before a play in public.

Jose
Old 05-13-2002, 11:57 AM

Since I posted this question I've been wondering about the responses that referred to a string sounding "dead." Last night I experienced it: the 6th string on my baby is "dead" beyond rescuscitation.

Thank you all for your input on this; it was very helpful. I'm nostalgic for the classical days when I rarely had to change strings, but the sound of steel strings on a Taylor has won me over to the steel-string camp.

Sandy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification