The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-10-2002, 10:02 PM
Tayloresque

Question I'm sooo confused

I'm awaiting the arrival of my first Taylor -- a newly ordered 814c, without on-board electronics. For various reasons I prefer to install my own. Apart from the extensive research I've been doing over the last while of different pick-up/pre-amp systems, I don't have much experience with acoustic guitar amplification. I'll be running the guitar/system through a new Carvin AG100D 3-channel, 100w acoustic/electric amp. I'm about to make a decision on which system -- with a little help from Taylor owners, I hope.

Here are my final choices, in order of which I'm considering buying (in fact, I almost placed my order for the PUTW system this evening, and then I stumbled on this site and thought one last consultation could help).

1. PUTW: #27 pick-up /Power Plug pre-amp (thinking the volume control at (outside) the guitar might be handy, and I can probably live with the 'little black box' plugged into the end-jack). Great price!

2. B-Band: AST pick-up/A1 or A2 pre-amp (I kinda like the fact that the pre-amp is inside the guitar, but the downside is there's no volume control and the battery is probably harder to get at to change (both issues compared to the PUTW Power Plug).

3. LR Baggs: iBeam (passive) pick-up/Gigpro, Mixpro, or PADI pre-amp (the PADI is probably more than I need. The Gig/Mixpro are small worn-on-the-belt pre-amps with EQ and volume.

Of course, some of these can be 'mix 'n match'. Sound quality is certainly a priority, but not having heard them, I'll really be shooting in the dark -- gotta take a chance.

I probably can't go wrong with any of them, but I'd appreciate any thoughts from memebers of this group before I place my order.

Many thanks.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:47 PM

Dear confused,

There's no risk trying out the PUTW stuff. They have an unheard of 30-day money back guarantee and the best customer service in the industry (David Enke and his staff are great people). I will say that while you can get a great sound from their SBTs, be prepared to spend some time trying out different locations. They are extremely sensitive to placement.

The iBeams can sound great also, but I've found that they need quite a bit of EQ to 'fix' the sound. The active iBeam preamp, Gigpro and I think the Mixpro too, all have a built-in EQ curve to fix the sound of the iBeam. I've heard these are placement sensitive also but since I've never tried to install one myself, I can't confirm.

I really like the B-Band AST (my favorite of the three). Read my other postings in this section regarding B-Band. The battery life is very long for the B-Band preamps (750 hrs). It may be hard to change with it inside, but you will do it so infrequently, I wouldn't consider it a problem. If you still don't want to hassle with it, there are external preamps (MixPro, B-Band Entity) that allow you to power the internal preamp externally via a stereo guitar cable. I also wouldn't doubt if PUTW came out with a power plug that can power internal preamps (David Enke is always making things). This would solve both your battery and volume requirements.

GL
Old 05-10-2002, 11:55 PM
Tayloresque

Thanks for the feedback GL. In finding the right placement for whichever pick-up is used, can you tell me if movement and re-application can be done with the strings on the guitar, or is string replacement required every time until you find the 'sweet-spot'.

Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2002, 02:38 AM

Yes, you have to remove the strings. You have to be able to get your hand inside the soundhole. The iBeam and AST also need to use the pinholes for the strings to get proper alignment of the pickup. You probably won't need to experiment with different locations with the AST, though. Although strings will get worn down faster by frequent removals, you should be able to reuse the strings (keep the strings on the tuners and use a capo on the 2nd fret to keep them in place). I suggest not to use the more expensive coated strings when experimenting with location. That way if a string or two breaks after several removals, it won't cost you much.

GL
Old 05-11-2002, 05:19 PM
Tayloresque

Thanks again, GL. Well, I went with my first instinct and just ordered the PUTW #27/Power Plug (*new generation* shipping next Wednesday). I'm in Canada, and to help offset the ridiculous exchange in the Cdn. $, David and Annie are giving me a great price! Like you said, PUTW is second to none in customer service. Man, I asked so many questions of David in e-mails and he was always prompt and detailed. Beyond the price and great reviews of their product, although I'm a little less than enthusiastic about having the little black box (Power Plug) sticking out of the end of my guitar, I admit that it'll give easy access to the battery, plus I'll have volume control right at the guitar, AND I can use the Power Plug with my other acoustic (that's a big plus). Can't do that with the A1/A2. Anyhow, it's a start for me in the world of acoustic guitar PU/PA systems and it is cheap enough that if I'm not happy with it, I won't mind springing for the B-Band AST and A1/A2.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification