The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-06-2002, 09:26 PM

Default Fingerpickers Dream Guitar

If your style of play is fingerpicking, here's a guitar for you. Soon Gerald will quit his day job and only handcraft guitars. The next James Olson, get one of his guitars while their resonable for a handcrafted instrument. Be sure to check out the sound bite of one of his beauties in the studio.

http://www.sheppardguitars.com/
Old 05-07-2002, 07:15 AM

I've never heard of him though they seem nice from the pics on the site. What his base price?, it seems he does email quotes and I wouldn't bother him unless I was truly interested.

Derek
Old 05-07-2002, 11:44 AM

Aproximate full retail price equal to that of between the Taylor 714CE and 814CE. Considering the woods used and quality of his instruments, this is a fantastic price. He's a perfectionist and it's reflected in every instrument he makes. He currently only makes around 5 to 7 each year.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:46 PM

A PS12 would be my dream finger picking guitar.

814ce-LTD Brazilian
Old 05-07-2002, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Who else makes a good guitar in this price range...say 2000-2500 bucks for some sort of Grand Aud. sized guitar (I doubt I would ever buy a handmade private luthiers dread)

This guys stuff looks good, but its not quite my style as far as aesthetics go...

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 05-08-2002, 07:59 AM

It really depends on what exactly you're looking for. Most luthiers have a base price which usually includes EI rosewood or mahogany, a choice of bodystyles, and what ever other features such as inlay which is included. Many fine luthiers fall into the 2 to $3000 range at base but can get quite a bit more expensive when options are figured in; more exotic woods, tuner upgrades, cutaways etc....

What I paid for the one I have on order would be in the same range as maybe a 914ce but I firmly believe he's underpriced and will hike up soon so part of the fun is finding the builder thats poised for the next level.

While I still enjoy my Taylors, this has been probably the most satisfying thing i've ever done for myself as a guitarist. I'm dealing with a wonderful builder, well known as a stickler for both tone and attention to detail. All contact has just been between the two of us and I was able to select everything from the ground up. It'll be the culmination of everything I want in a fingerstyle instrument brought to life by a luthiers 30 plus years of doing something he loves.

The waiting is the tough part

Derek
Old 05-08-2002, 09:26 AM
jclif1995

i know how you feel Derek. i've a classical on order, being built by a guy in upstate New York. features Indian Rosewood back and sides, Engelmann top, Koa binding, Ebony fretboard, mahogany neck.....work begins in july and delivery is in late August.....so we wait....plan on buying a "new" 2000 Taylor 855 today. I've been itching for a 12 string for some time now and have found one that speaks to me....no cutaway, no electronics, plays like a cannon and has amazing voice especially in the trebles. has the 1 7/8 inch nut like my 712ce and features the old style neck. i'll let you know on that one too....
Old 05-09-2002, 02:27 PM

They look like nice instruments. This picture is pretty amazing:

Wild Koa Back

I think a back like that is a love/hate kind of affair...

Daren
310-KCE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification