The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2002, 10:45 AM

The sound of cedar is definitely an acquired taste - took about 15 seconds for me to acquire it after first picking up my 714!
Old 03-24-2002, 07:31 PM

Speaking of the wonderful aroma...I keep my cedar in my closet to keep the moths out of the wool.

LOL

I have a fine collection of dust mites.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:33 PM

Talking

As a new NS72 and seasoned W14C owner, I agree that Cedar is a most appealing combination with both rosewood and walnut. The 514C's that I've played have all sounded great as well. I recently sold a 714BCE to a close friend, and it too exemplified the wonderful sound of the cedar rosewood combination.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:22 PM

Just got a 514ce and I've heard many say cedar lacks volume. Well, I woke my wife up taking a nap in the back bedroom, playing on the front porch. This guitar can boom! The great thing about it is it's versatility, you can bang or play fingerstyle with finesse and put your baby to sleep. In all fairness I have heard some cedar tops that lack volume, but definitely not all.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:11 PM

All else being equal, cedar is definitely warmer than spruce, but I've never heard that it's quieter. I always thought that volume comes from the size of the guitar and its bracing, and the volume achieved on some classical guitars bears that out. The only "problem" I've heard with a cedar top is that the tone breaks up a little if you really dig in.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:06 PM

My son took the 814CE for about six months which left me with the 514CE to play.

Last weekend, we traded again. I was looking forward to getting the 814CE back thinking I really was a rosewood/spruce person.

Now, I really miss the 514CE....just after one day. I'm beginning to think I'm more of a cedar/mahoganny person than rosewood spruce.

Old 04-02-2002, 03:05 PM

RL,

that was my feeling, too, after going back and forth between the 714 and 410.

tfrahm/cpmusic,

I also think that cedar has some serious punch, too. Not like maple, but the sound seems to burst out if it. I found the same thingh with the 514, as well as that cedar/rosewood Tacoma acoustic/elecrtic cutaway I posted about a while ago. Someone once used the term "breathy." I think that describes it perfectly.

Jay
Old 04-15-2002, 05:10 PM
mstorie

I spent some time in a local guitar store sampling a recent shipment of Taylors a couple of days ago. I was really focusing my playing on rosewood/spruce combos i.e. 815, 814, etc. I also tried several 300's in case I found one I couldn't resist. I was impressed but felt that something was just missing. I couldn't quite figure it out until I played my k14c this morning. Its the cedar. The stiffer spruce tops didn't "give" as much in terms of warmth and resonation. I'm not a hard strummer by any means. So maybe my style is one that focuses on the type of instrument I'm playing. But I was in heaven this morning with my k14c. I will never give this instrument up.

Another happy cedar owner...
Old 04-15-2002, 05:27 PM

I must agree with you mstorie,

I have a 714ce ltd with a cedar top and every time I play it, it just seems to resonate through my whole body. I don't know if it's the cocobolo or the cedar but something went right with that combination. Good Luck with the K14 before long I think a KOA may be in the cards. My wife loves the look of the KOA's so that's always a plus

Rick
Old 05-01-2002, 09:42 AM

Just last night I was playing my 714 along with my 410 (not at once, of course), A/B'ing them on different songs, and it amazed me that although the 410 body is bigger and it seem to have a boomier bottom end, the 714 seemed to resonate and had a similar, yet different depth of voice. What an amazing guitar! I know the rosewood has much to do with the sustain, but the cedar must vibrate in such a way to give it that uniquie voice.

Jay
Old 05-01-2002, 10:54 PM

The cedar top 714ce was the model that first got me interested in taylors. A couple of weeks ago, i tried a new 714ce (Made in feb2002). It was really sweet. A lot of warmth and beautiful overtones. I'm pretty sure that the 714 will be my next taylor.

I was wondering, anyone with a cedar topped x10? I'm curious about how cedar will sound on a dread.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:22 PM

The overtones, resonation, and sustain of my 514ce are unlike anything I've experienced with spruce tops. I agree with Jay, the sound just bursts out of cedar.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:59 PM

cedar!!! AHH!!! I'M HOOKED! got a 514ce on layway

2003 D-28
My modified Epi Dot
Old 05-06-2002, 06:39 PM

K14C, cedar top.....if it's an acquired taste, then I've acquired it.....although I dearly love my englemann/mahogany 510, the K14C is just so much warmer...am thinking about either a redwood? or cedar topped 912....don't know if Bob T. does redwood, although I read somewhere that Taylor had used it?....would like to have it built with the Cindy inlay, as part of the Fall production, with wood I picked out at Taylorstock...now, is that asking too much???? Did I mention 1 7/8 neck and rosewood or tortoise binding (like on the K14C)???? BTW, the 2001-2002 K series cedar top with agoya rosette and top border is the prettiest guitar (in an understated and elegant manner) ever made (IMNSHO). Just checked a '90s on Ebay, and not so pretty....ah well, my .02

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification