The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 PM

Default Anyone play the Lapatrie Hybrid Guitars?

I played a La Patrie concert today and was really impressed by it's sound. But I was wondering what the take is on the Hybrid guitars, anyone play one yet?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymusictune View Post
But I was wondering what the take is on the Hybrid guitars, anyone play one yet?
If you examine the specs, you'll see that the only difference between the LaPatrie "hybrids" and their full-size classical counterparts are:
  • Pick-up & amp
  • Cutaway
  • Finish

So these are just amped classicals with cutaways. They're not quite hybrids. No narrower nut. No 14-frets to the neck.

Of course, all current LaPatries have radiused fretboards.

They'll probably sound like the Concert but with a little less volume due to the cutaway. Odds are that you won't notice the loss in volume. But my take on the Concert is that it's also the least loud compared to the three other full-sized classicals (Etude, Presentation, and Collection).

I'd install a PUP and amp in your Presentation if you were headed in that direction.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:18 PM

I use a LaPatrie Hybrid CW Lightburst. It is to my way of thinking a lovely guitar. The fit and finish are excellent.

I do have to agree that it is not the loudest guitar I have played. It is quite acceptable for a smaller setting. Plugged in that changes.

So far as I can tell it is identical to the other LaPatrie models in scale length, nut width, etc. The cedar top on my has a nice tight grain. The cutaway really is nice, for those 12th fret notes. I find it easy to reach to the 14th fret - 17th fret but after that who cares.

Intonation across the fretboard on my copy is acceptable. I also confess I like the range of the fret markers on the side of the neck. I am learning classical play and they really are useful to me when playing up and down the neck. It helps me navigate a bit better.

I like having a guitar made in North America, though that is not important to many people. I also will tell you that my experience with LaPatrie's customer service is that they are outstanding. This is actually my second copy of the guitar. The first had the bridge lift from the sound board on the bass side. I took it back to The Podium who sent it in for service. I thought they would simply repair the bridge but to my surprise two weeks later I was returned a brand new guitar.

LaPatrie has a lot to offer both in a quality product and customer service. I dont know that I would ever sell mine; though I am looking at the new Yamaha's. The reason for my considering them is that they seem to be louder from a pure acoustic play perspective and even the CG192 can be purchased at a modest price. The ones I have seen are also quite lovely guitars. I must admit that I would miss the cutaway and the range of the LaPatrie fret markers since neither exist on the Yamaha's

I dont know if this helps, but such are my humble thoughts.

John W.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:07 PM

I own the HYBRID in Light Burst....its a wonderful guitar and I would agree with the above statements...I've never really found a use for mine and have kept it stored. I'm looking to sell mine if anyone is interested, send a PM.

Last edited by Mama Tried; 08-20-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 AM

John, that is exactly the information I have been seeking! Thank you! I as well, have been considering the newer Yamaha Classical line. I played the CG192S, the CG182S, and the CG162S. To my ears, the 162S had the boldest tone as well as the sweetest, but that may hae been that guitar. I may just buy both and live with it. The SB finish on the La Patrie is just stunning as well.

I am going to look at a Orpheus Vallely Rhondo this wweekend. It has solid walnut B & S. Should be interested, and although, it is relatively priced double than the Yamaha, it may be the ticket. I still think the Yamaha's are awesome guitars in their own right and I would never be ashamed to own one. Shoot, you still see some of these on EBAY that are alot older, but still holding up fine, and that was before all this new machine technology. Can you imagine the newer line?

see ya,

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwrpc View Post
I use a LaPatrie Hybrid CW Lightburst. It is to my way of thinking a lovely guitar. The fit and finish are excellent.

I do have to agree that it is not the loudest guitar I have played. It is quite acceptable for a smaller setting. Plugged in that changes.

So far as I can tell it is identical to the other LaPatrie models in scale length, nut width, etc. The cedar top on my has a nice tight grain. The cutaway really is nice, for those 12th fret notes. I find it easy to reach to the 14th fret - 17th fret but after that who cares.

Intonation across the fretboard on my copy is acceptable. I also confess I like the range of the fret markers on the side of the neck. I am learning classical play and they really are useful to me when playing up and down the neck. It helps me navigate a bit better.

I like having a guitar made in North America, though that is not important to many people. I also will tell you that my experience with LaPatrie's customer service is that they are outstanding. This is actually my second copy of the guitar. The first had the bridge lift from the sound board on the bass side. I took it back to The Podium who sent it in for service. I thought they would simply repair the bridge but to my surprise two weeks later I was returned a brand new guitar.

LaPatrie has a lot to offer both in a quality product and customer service. I dont know that I would ever sell mine; though I am looking at the new Yamaha's. The reason for my considering them is that they seem to be louder from a pure acoustic play perspective and even the CG192 can be purchased at a modest price. The ones I have seen are also quite lovely guitars. I must admit that I would miss the cutaway and the range of the LaPatrie fret markers since neither exist on the Yamaha's

I dont know if this helps, but such are my humble thoughts.

John W.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:44 AM

If you decide to go with one of the new Yamaha's I would very much be interested in your impressions.

I am not surprised by you being drawn to the 162S. A local store has the now old versions of the Yamaha's and I believe the model number of one is a 151C. I have A/B tested against the other more expensive Yamaha models and it just seems far and away a better sounding guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical