The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Default Question concerning long distance guitar purchase...Need advice

Hi!
...Just joined the forum. It looks great. I am glad a friend recommended it. Question...I am interested in purchasing a classical guitar from an individual who lives in Quebec Canada, far from my home in the U.S. I found the guitar through another forum. I have e-mailed the owner and asked a lot of questions. The owner answered adequately and sent a photo. She suggested that I come there, see it, and play it. It is much too far to travel. What is the best method (least risk) for making such a long distance purchase from an individual, in another country? Are there U.S. Customs issues? I have made purchases from across the U.S., but always from a business..not an individual.

Thanks,
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 PM

I think you should actually see and play the guitar in person. It is important to know if the guitar fits your hand and is easy for you to play, plus you really need to hear the tone. You can not do that with photos and emails.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:24 AM

Ask for a 3 day trial period. Or even less, if you are comfortable with it. Usually, you can tell within the first hour, if it's right for you. Tell the person you'll pay for shipment back of it doesn't work for you.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:42 PM

quebec canada is a beautiful place to visit!!
summer the best time
Old 07-25-2010, 06:49 PM

Unfortunately not much of a way to guarantee your satisfaction, especially if by some chance the person is trying to **** you in any way.

You can ask about RETURN POLICY, but individuals very tough to do anything if they don't comply with what they said.

If you are buying this from a FORUM, check the forum with that person's name or reputation. If such as EVIL-BAY you can see the satisfaction/rating of other sales.

It's a risk, plain and simple...good luck.
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 AM

You might also ask for a phone number, or offer yours. Establishing a higher level of trust is easier over the phone than only by email. Yes, there are privacy issues, but it's a business transaction, not a date. But trust is important in any such transaction, and a certain element of risk is always present. Caveat emptor, and, as Henry Kissinger once reputedly said, trust, but verify.

Re: customs, call the post office?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical