The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-14-2010, 04:05 PM

Default Ej45 Vs Ej46 ?

D'Addario EJ45 Pro-Arte (Normal Tension)
Or
D'Addario EJ45 Pro-Arte (Hard Tension)

Last edited by Chai; 07-14-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: accurate
Old 07-16-2010, 08:07 AM

Default strings?

I'd say d'Addario (Extra-Hard Tension) my friend! If you can handle it it's nice!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 PM

I would suggest getting a set of each and making the judgement yourself. I tried several different brands before settling on one I like.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruston View Post
I would suggest getting a set of each and making the judgement yourself. I tried several different brands before settling on one I like.
+1

I use J46s on my Moreira Hauser and J45s on my Moreira Elliott. Each guitar is unique and it's a great idea try both tensions. I might suggest also ordering a Savarez Alliance G-third to replace the nylon D'Addario G-third (both tensions)

Rock on!

Fred

Last edited by Dogsnax; 07-17-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:36 PM

Remember that string tension will feel and sound different depending on the length of your guitar scale among other things and of course it matters what music you play too, so i agree with trying them both.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:49 AM

The harder tension strings will cause your guitar's soundboard to vibrate more, allowing you to get a richer sound and more volume, provided your string height does not dampen the string vibrations. I have always only used the J44's (extra hard tension) for this reason.
'94 Gibson Gospel
Old 07-17-2010, 06:13 PM

Default Ej45 Vs Ej46 ?

till now always use ej45,
time to move on :-)
just order 3pack of EJ46 - yaaaa
cant wait to fill my guitar with this new strings.

thanks,

Chai.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:14 PM

Default Ej45 Vs Ej46 ?

btw -

great deals on http://www.juststrings.com/
Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 AM

On both Delcamp and Foro, D'Addario seems to be the preferred name by far, and for both classical and flamenco more players are using the EJ-xxC (you chose the tension) with the composite G-String... I love them.

Tension selected depends on your ability and on the sound you want. Higher tension produces more volume, is more difficult to fret... Lower tension provides more playability (bends, vibrato, ligato <hammer-pull>, etc).

Go for all the tone and color and playability you can get, and don't worry about volume. Develop correct technique first. The only people who should use higher tension strings are those with the experience, hand strength, and ability to use them and still get tone, color and playability. If you want volume, amplify your sound... most of the world class classical players are using electronics nowadays (both mic and pickup, lots of good options).

Best place by far to purchase strings: stringsbymail.com

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:44 AM

+1 what Ruston said.

Contrary to popular belief, higher tension may not result in increased volume if the tension inhibits the movement of the top. Ergo, you may gain nothing in volume and reduce the instrument's playability.

I use mixed-tension Savarez 540ARJ: normal-tension trebles, hard-tension basses.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:43 PM

I would like to know if anyone has ever experienced a reduction in maximum output (without overplaying, ie splatting the notes) after putting higher gauge strings on their classical guitar. If so, what guitar and what strings. The idea that higher gauge strings could inhibit top vibration and reduce volume is completly contrary to the 25 yrs of personal experience I've had with my own guitars, my student's guitars, and every other classical guitarist I've known. Here is a little test. Loosen all your guitar strings by a half step and see if your highest (clean) volume level goes up or down. Its easier to overplay and get a lot of (bad) sound (splats and buzzing) out of a classical using lower tension strings or loosening your existing ones, and if thats your thing, go for it. If you want the cleanest sound you can get at full volume for your guitar, higher tension strings are your best friend.
'94 Gibson Gospel
Old 07-22-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohnodude View Post
The idea that higher gauge strings could inhibit top vibration and reduce volume is completly contrary to the 25 yrs of personal experience I've had with my own guitars, my student's guitars, and every other classical guitarist I've known.
No disrespect Vlog, but I don't understand your thinking at all in regard to high tension and less volume. On the other hand, I don't understand why Kohno thinks light gage strings will hurt sound with "buzzing, etc"... Kohno, you are confusing light gage strings with reduced tension thru de-tuning, two very different concepts. Guys, heavy gage string = increased volume, low gage string = less effort to produce good tonal color. You can certainly get beautiful tonal color from heavier gage strings, but it requires strong and experienced hands, not for beginners or occasional players. Don't believe me? Go ask the question on the Luthier forum and learn from the pros.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 07-22-2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

GuitarVlog's comment has little to do with the strings and everything to do with how the guitar is built. If the guitar is built close to, but not too close to the edge, which is where most concert level guitars are, high tension strings by the rotational force placed on the saddle, can actually decrease the output of the guitar, because they pull it into a distortion that it is not designed for. Of course, it all depends on the particular guitar. If you are playing a factory guitar, then it probably doesn't matter much, because they are not, by design, built close to the edge, at all. Not saying they can't sound great, but it's a function of safe design that makes them that way. You are not likely to distort a factory guitar with too heavy a string.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical