The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-21-2010, 10:13 AM

Default Nylon classical specifications

I am looking to add a good playing nylon (classical) guitar to my gigging mix. I have a cheap Ibanez with a narrow neck. It is a fine knock around guitar, but the electronics are cheesy and I want a standard neck. Note that I am talking about gigging (solo to quartet), not playing in my living room.

I am astounded at the general lack of specifications listed with guitars. I am looking at guitars under $1200. Most will have the nut width, some have the scale length; few have the body depth - which in an electric guitar is a huge factor in feedback.

I had a Giannini 7-string for a week or so (terrible finish; dings in it; just generally rough - a sub $1000 guitar) that was slightly thinner than a normal classical, solid top, but laminate everything else -- pretty good electric (other than the fact that it should never have left the factory).

Looking very closely at the Tak TC132SC - solid front and back, but laminate sides (not sure how much difference that will make). I can find the nut width, but nowhere can I find a measurement on the depth. Anyone know? Or more to the point, how well does it function through an amp on stage?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM

I'm not sure that depth, all by itself, is a good indicator of whether the guitar will feedback or not and at what level. I would think you'd need to play each candidate, in a performance situation, to know. Classicals, built as acoustic instruments, with electronics added are funny beasts. Not sure you'll find the quality or result in the price range you are looking.

For plugged in performance, I'd look at Godin and Renaissance. They are meant to be stage guitars. They are over your price range, a bit.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultnylonseriesp.htm

http://www.renaissanceguitars.com/nylon-guitar.php
Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 AM

Surprisingly, Takamine does not provide detailed specs of its guitars on its website. I find this strange as well. I bought a Takamine steel string a few months ago, and was surprised by how little information was available about my guitar online. Their site is sorely lacking in information about their guitars, and a great many models don't even have pictures on the site (mine didn't, and still does not). You'd think they don't want to make sales or something. Other manufacturers do a much better job. Honestly, for a manufacturer the size & stature of Takamine, you'd expect them to recognize the value in providing consumers with useful information about their products. This is information that helps consumers make their decision to buy or NOT buy their products. It is a terrible oversight. They need to invest some money (and I'm sure they have plenty of it) in revamping their site, and providing more information about each guitar they manufacture. If anyone from Takamine is reading this, please take this suggestion to heart. It can only help your business.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical