The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2011, 06:51 AM

Default why are all hardcases black?

My name is Micael and I live in Sweden and is about to buy my first guitar in solid wood
The choices go mostly between a taylor guitar like 314,414 and 514ce, however...
My question concerns most guitar companies hardcases...
Being a fact that companies like CF Martin and Taylor lay down a lot of effort spreading the word on what high temperatures and lack of or to much humidity can do to a guitar..
With that fact stated...How comes that (practically) all hardcases are in the colour Black???
Black being the colour that eats sunshine and heat, to me sounds like the least likely colour to use at all for this purpose...
Now I guess this burns down to a question of current fashion.
But seriously..how did all these companies think??

Me I would really love a hardcase in some warm brown colour or tan beige or whatever but...I guess most guitar companies bought in to old Henry Fords creedo, chose any colour as long as its black...

Any reflections?
Cheers and best regards
Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micke1967 View Post
My name is Micael and I live in Sweden and is about to buy my first guitar in solid wood
The choices go mostly between a taylor guitar like 314,414 and 514ce, however...
Being a fact that companies like CF Martin and Taylor lay down a lot of effort spreading the word on what high temperatures and lack of or to much humidity can do to a guitar..
With that fact stated...How comes that (practically) all hardcases are in the colour Black???
Black being the colour that eats sunshine and heat, to me sounds like the least likely colour to use at all for this purpose...

Me I would really love a hardcase in some warm brown colour or tan beige or whatever but...I guess most guitar companies bought in to old Henry Fords creedo, chose any colour as long as its black...

Any reflections?
Cheers and best regards
easy answer, black is a neutral color. easy to clean, or hide case damage. it's all about profit$

also if you had white or other visible colors, easy to see damage and wear.

cheers!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:59 AM

Not all are black.

Romans 5:6-8
Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Just starting to notice cases once again, as I've been going back to guitar stores for only a month or so, but so far I've noticed a goodly number of NON-black hard cases. One was kinda tweed...for a Guild F-40. Several others were maroon...for some off-brand of guitar I'd never seen before.

The "original" case for my 1969 Yamaha FG-180 wasn't hard at all: a super-cheap cardboard-covered-by-dark-grey-vinyl number, tossed into the deal by the dealer back when. It sorta fit the git...and sorta didn't...but it served well enough for a while. It died an ignominious death about 20 years back and the Yammie's been caseless ever since.

Dirk
Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 AM

Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 AM

I've seen brown alligator and the famed Taylor pink poodle case is a brownish color. There are also really nice tweed cases, which although look really nice, they do get dirty easy. Caltons come in many different colors, both inside and out. I once saw a finished wood guitar case.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 AM

Easy explanation: when you rode the bicycle in a race, the black leather saddles (usually Brooks or Ideale) would stain the butt of your riding shorts black and that is why most cycling shorts are black.... wait a minute! this is the wrong forum.

Never mind.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 09-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

As stated, not all cases are black, or even dark colours.

An even more important point is that no case (black OR white) should be left in the car during a warm day - unless the car is a carbon fiber, like a Rainsong. It can get wicked hot in a car very quickly, and the heat softens the glue - bad things will happen.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-page-main/ehow/images/a08/63/op/effects-heat-guitar-neck-800x800.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ehow.com/info_8589081_effects-heat-guitar-neck.html&usg=__wtOow_ZDKSKPwi6ZPHCfbioIKqI=&h=220 &w=225&sz=7&hl=en&start=12&sig2=04CVBLI_etYqduPNwa Nx3Q&zoom=1&tbnid=L_aQOBd4ohsLrM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=10 8&ei=QixmTtq5FKnf0QH955CSCg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dguitar%2Bheat%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26t bm%3Disch&itbs=1

http://www.frets.com/fretspages/Musi...73d35heat.html

http://www.frets.com/fretspages/Musi...eat/heat1.html

Best of luck on your guitar quest.

Steve
Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuartev View Post
Easy explanation: when you rode the bicycle in a race, the black leather saddles (usually Brooks or Ideale) would stain the butt of your riding shorts black and that is why most cycling shorts are black.... wait a minute! this is the wrong forum.

Never mind.
+1 for just plain funny!
'75 Alvarez 12-string Sitka/Hog
Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micke1967 View Post

Any reflections?
Cheers and best regards
Hi Micael…

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum! We are glad you joined. Nice to meet someone from the other side of the world…

You are correct that in the lower end of hardshell cases most are jet black. Despite your argument that white repels heat better (and it does), customers still prefer black.

I have 2 white and 2 black, and wish there were light colored ones more economically available to us.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Hi Micke1967,

Welcome to the forum! Nice to hear from you all the way from Sweden!

It does seem that most cases are black and they do get hot in the sun. I left my wife's Guild in our hallway some years ago where the sun could heat up the case during the hottest part of the day through the windows and the heat damaged the finish on the guitar's neck. Not one of my smarter moves...

It's also true that lighter colors show scuffs a little more...

- Glenn
Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuartev View Post

Never mind.
And after you change a tire or re-set a chain that has jumped off, you have a place to wipe the grease.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 AM

Is this the sort of thing you were after? its my new Gibson SJ which is in transit from the USA to the UK......

2018 Hinde custom 2 point Mandolin
2016 Kentucky KM-950 Mandolin
2016 Waterloo WL14 XTR "Tuxedo"
2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
2008 Fender Telecaster
Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 AM

why are they all black? -not all are black btw, but:

-to attract mr. sun
-to hide dirt
-to become invisible against thieves in the night
-to quote henry ford: "they can have any color they want as long as it's black"
Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Anticipation Junkie

My Taylor case is dark brown (black felt interior, not pink poodle).
My CA GXi case is black.
For my CA Cargo, I use a light brown gig-bag that originally came with my (smashed) Baby Taylor.
My Fender Strat case is vintage tweed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion