The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-23-2017, 04:21 AM

Yes you can. It's called Dividing files. P60 of the manual.
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defaul...dfs/E_H5_0.pdf
Old 11-23-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
Yes you can. It's called Dividing files. P60 of the manual.
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defaul...dfs/E_H5_0.pdf
Thanks. I'll have a look through that and compare with the H6. Although, I hope you can assign files to tracks.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
On the H4N Pro you can do most of the standard overdubbing things like starting from anywhere along a track or punching in/out using and automated or manual.

It's implemented in an easy way as well. You just place markers in the project and you can use the forward/backward buttons to skip to them ... then just record/overdub as usual.

:
Just to clarify not trying to be nitpicky but terminology can be confusing. And you may already know this but it was hard to tell from your posts, weather or not you were looking to do one or the other, or both Overdub and or Punch in /out.

Overdubbing, and Punch in/out, are actually two different operations.

Overdubbing is recording to an additional blank track (second track) at a later time while listening/monitoring what has already been recorded ---no matter where in the timeline you may start or stop . i.e. a vocal with a guitar or lead guitar with rhythm guitar .... etc.

Punching in/out determines where in the timeline you start/stop recording, (and while the automated timing feature could be used for overdubbing on an additional track), BUT the process itself is most often referred to as a destructive replacement, for a particular section on a single already recorded track.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-23-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 AM

Hey Jan - Thanks again for staring the thread!

I've just about decided on the H5.. Mainly to record my music with guitars and vocals.. Occasionaly recording friends bands/ shows and maybe some get togethers / jams at my home studio.

I think I'd be using the built-in mics "Live" most of the time. Both in music venues (pubs) and also in my home recordings. But will enjoy learning about adding more tracks, inputs and microphones later. I do have a pair of Rode M5 small condenser mics.

As for the deciding factors of the H5 over the H6...or 4nPro for that matter. Either one would suit my needs well.. I'm sure.

Simply put.. I like the size of the H5 better... Less bulk and easier to handle. I like that the XLR ins are on the bottom (rather than the sides)... I have a Nikon DSLR and the H5 appears that it will be "sleeker" connected on top.

Feature wise.. I presume for my basic Live recording needs, the H5 will have same or similar quality recordings to the H6. The 2 XLR should be fine... Plus the H5 has the optional XLR module, should need to add 2 more XLR down the road.

Another small but useful feature is that the H5 has both headphone and Line out capabilities. More versatile when monitoring and/or recording using my cam.

Price is a not a huge factor in my decision.. The List price is only $70-$80 more for the H6 ($270 vs 350). So the H6 seems like a great value actually for what you get, as we discussed it is worth the money for the extras...

As a note - I did find a nice case for $25 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/CASEMATIX-Por...ywords=case+h5

Right now, GC and MF have 15% off deals .. So $229 vs $298.

I'm planning on buying this weekend ..my local GC has them all in stock. So right now the H5 is front runner. Again, mainly on size and form factor.

The one thing I really like on the H6 is he screen...I really like the color screen on the H6... Again, I don't mind spending the extra money. But the H5 seems like great value and performance ..

Thanks.. hope I'm not crashing your thread. But been wanting one of these for a while.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Plus the H5 has the optional XLR module, should need to add 2 more XLR down the road.
One detail that I didn't notice until I got my H6 - the XLR module does not provide phantom power. So you can have 2 condensers with the H5 (4 with the H6), but the extra 2 inputs into the XLR module will need to be dynamic, or line in, or anything that doesn't need phantom.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
One detail that I didn't notice until I got my H6 - the XLR module does not provide phantom power. So you can have 2 condensers with the H5 (4 with the H6), but the extra 2 inputs into the XLR module will need to be dynamic, or line in, or anything that doesn't need phantom.
Yes. And also, the -12dB "backup" recording only works with the built-in mics.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:52 AM

Ok.. I'm fairly new to recording.

So for recording in my home studio. Just me playing acoustic and singing ..

I have a J45 with built in pickup.. 2 Rode M5 condenser mics, Shure 58.. I also have a Play Acoustic effects processor for guitar, vocals, harmonies.

Don't want it to be too complicated .. but do want future versatility..

Can I any one comment to push me over to getting H6..
Regarding the benefit of the 4 inputs on H6 over the 2 inputs on H5.
(For best home recordings)... FYI the room is well treated.

I'm now thinking I'd regret the 5... plus the color screen on H6 is sweet.

Thx
Old 11-24-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Ok.. I'm fairly new to recording.

So for recording in my home studio. Just me playing acoustic and singing ..

I have a J45 with built in pickup.. 2 Rode M5 condenser mics, Shure 58.. I also have a Play Acoustic effects processor for guitar, vocals, harmonies.

Don't want it to be too complicated .. but do want future versatility..

Can I any one comment to push me over to getting H6..
Regarding the benefit of the 4 inputs on H6 over the 2 inputs on H5.
(For best home recordings)... FYI the room is well treated.

I'm now thinking I'd regret the 5... plus the color screen on H6 is sweet.

Thx
When I started this thread my heart said H6 because of the inputs and confirmed quality of the preamps (and to some extent, mics). My brain said H4N Pro ... same preamps (same sound quality?) and good basic multitracking functionality like assigning inputs to tracks, overdub anywhere in a track, punch in/out etc etc. and the ability to completely do away with a computer during the recording phase.

During this thread I have switched between prefering the H4NP to H6 and now H5

Rather than revisit everything I'll summarise my findings so far:

H6

Advantages - 4 quality preamp inputs + good built in removable mics, has proper iPad connection and good Audio Interface functionality. Real knobs for gain adjustment (can't under estimate this advantage ). Can record 4 simultaneous external inputs + 2 internal mics or 6 simultaneous external inputs if you get an extra XLR module (beware of limitations highlighted by Doug).

Disadvantages - Can't assign inputs/mics to tracks. Almost no basic file management like renaming, copying, moving - only for projects. Which means anything but the most basic recording requires a computer. Recording/Overdubbing can only be done from the beginning of a track.

H5

Advantages - Quality preamps + good built in removable mics, has proper iPad connection and good Audio Interface functionality. PLUS: You can assign inputs to different tracks. You can do basic file management including splitting files or projects. So you could get away with a lot more of the recording process without needing a computer - like recording with built in mics and then overdubbing using the same built in mics - with the H6, if you record with the internal mics you can then only overdub onto another track using an external mic unless you connect to a PC and do some undocumented trickery. Again, real knobs for gain adjustment.

Disadvantages - Only 2 preamp inputs + internal mic. Recording/Overdubbing can only be done from the beginning of a track.

H4NP

Advantages - Can do most file and project management tasks without a computer. Can do most recording/overdubbing tasks like start from anywhere or punch in/out. You can do almost all your recording/overdubbing while leaving the computer at home. In fact with this device you should leave your PC at home (see disadvantages)

Disadvantages - Most tasks require menu navigation ... even basic preamp gain adjustments. This is not fun. Mics are not removable so you can never do more than 2 external mics at the same time. The H5 can max out with 4 if you get the optional extra XLR inputs. H6 can max out with 6. By all accounts it is really only very basic Audio Interface and not much good for iPads ... that's the flip side of being able to leave your computer at home ... here there is almost no point bringing it along

---

I've probably missed something here but originally I considered the H5 as the lame duck of the three, missing out on the number of inputs of the H6 and missing out on the proper multitracking and file management capabilities of the H4.

Now I'm starting to see it differently. The H5 gains the quality hardware, interface capabilities and real knobs of the H6 and combines it with a smattering of multitracking and file management capabilities of the H4.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
During this thread I have switched between prefering the H4NP to H6 and now H5

I've probably missed something here but originally I considered the H5 as the lame duck of the three, missing out on the number of inputs of the H6 and missing out on the proper multitracking and file management capabilities of the H4.

Now I'm starting to see it differently. The H5 gains the quality hardware, interface capabilities and real knobs of the H6 and combines it with a smattering of multitracking and file management capabilities of the H4.

OK! I have been following this thread and Jan's summary was spot on.

So I decided on the H5.
I think it has the best price, feature and performance.
Just unboxed the unit and thought I'd share!

Ready to put it thought the paces this afternoon.
So far it feels like a real nice piece of gear.

Now, I just need to set up my room, try figure out best way to do some recordings of my guitar and vocals.

Last edited by JakeStone; 11-25-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:04 PM

Congrats on your new toy. I look forward to hearing how you get on with it. It is no doubt a great a piece of equipment and increasingly it looks like this is what I'll probably get. It's funny when I look back ... for the first few posts I didn't even mention the H5!
Old 11-25-2017, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Jake, Don't Forget the DIY Room Treatment

Aloha Jake,

"Now, I just need to set up my room, try figure out best way to do some recordings of my guitar and vocals."

The first thing to do when thinking about setting up your space is to think about how you're going to DIY treat it.

You're using mic's, right? So you'll need to control the room's early reflections in order to achieve consistency.

If you're going to the trouble of setting up a space & buying new gear like the H5, then shouldn't you do the one thing that will allow you to maximize it? Treat your space, Jake. Making 2-9 4"x2'x4' DIY Owens-Corning broadband absorbers will do the trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lni_4HpwmZk

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...adband-panels/

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/stud...ing-acoustics/

http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

There have been hundreds of "treatment" threads here to show you how to do it cheaply or portably. Or PM me for more clues. Get the most out of your recording signal chain, Jake, even if it's a small Zoom H5. Room Treatment = the only way to achieve consistency in your recordings.

Good Luck, Jake.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 11-25-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post

If you're going to the trouble of setting up a space & buying new gear like the H5, then shouldn't you do the one thing that will allow you to maximize it? Treat your space, Jake. Making 2-9 4"x2'x4' DIY Owens-Corning broadband absorbers will do the trick:

There have been hundreds of "treatment" threads here to show you how to do it cheaply or portably. Or PM me for more clues. Get the most out of your recording signal chain, Jake, even if it's a small Zoom H5. Room Treatment.

Good Luck, Jake.

alohachris
Aloha Chris - Thank you!

I am way ahead on the room treatment.. I had made 4 of these on my own last year.
Here is a thread on the DIY project here -
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=446478

They came out really nice!

With that said.. I meant that I need to set up a nice area for recording. Because I took everything down. The room's panels have been sitting in corner.

But I just got done recording using the H5 X/Y mics.

First impression with H5 - Simple Live recording of just my J-45 guitar and singing with no effects..
Sounds really good! I will maybe try to put them up on sound cloud later.

Thanks!

Last edited by JakeStone; 11-25-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Way To Go Jake!

Aloha Jake,

Great job on those nice looking panels. And nice "treatment" thread you started as well.

The reason I'm such a stickler on Room Treatment is that it took me many decades to finally commit to it - & it made a huge difference in my simple acoustic & vocal recordings.

I ended up making 22 portable OC 703 broadband absorbers over several years for my tracking area, mixing space & the room in general - & still use them.

Portable worked well for me in my tracking space because I could vary the space between the panels for different effects for different kinds of music.

Really enjoying this thread! Thanks for your response & enthusiasm, Jake.

alohachris
Old 11-25-2017, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts Chris...

So this little H5 in the past few hours has "refreshed" my view on recording.

Aloha !
Old 02-11-2018, 08:46 AM

Default Also went with the Zoom H5

Just as a follow up on this thread because I like it when I read what others end up doing after asking advice ...

I also ended up with the Zoom H5 for all the reasons we discussed. It was a close run with the H6 because I really liked the idea of 2 extra channels/tracks but in the end the lack of any real overdubbing, no mic<->track assignment and no proper iOS implementation turned me to the H5.

I now have a very portable recording rig that I can keep close at hand. Here are a couple of pics of the (almost no cables) rig ...

(in case anyone is wondering ... I don't sit/stand that close to a wall when I record )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD