The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-05-2018, 08:16 AM

Default Mic for Samsung phones.

I don't hang out here very much so forgive me if this topic has been covered before, I did search and could not find a specific thread....

So the iPhone has the Apogee and most everyone really seems to love it. The problem is I have a Samsung.

Is there an equivalent simple plug in mic like the Apogee for a droid.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:41 AM

That's one where I'd contact my Full Compass rep if some homework or simple web searches didn't make it obvious.

Full Compass still has old school reps who watch not just what's popular but what people return. When I visit the HQ showroom and retail store I see the reps are usually musicians or experts in recording and production.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:43 AM

this works on my 5 android.

http://www.ampridge.com/amp-mms.html

You download their app.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 02-09-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
this works on my 5 android.

http://www.ampridge.com/amp-mms.html

You download their app.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Thank you, this plugs directly into the phone, however. I was trying to find a free-standing mic like the Apogee....I want to record video as well, but with the upgraded sound. If plugged into the phone and the phone far enough away to get the players in frame, I don't know how good the sound quality would be?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thank you, this plugs directly into the phone, however. I was trying to find a free-standing mic like the Apogee....I want to record video as well, but with the upgraded sound. If plugged into the phone and the phone far enough away to get the players in frame, I don't know how good the sound quality would be?
It makes sense that you are trying to get the microphone closer to the player while having the video recorder back a ways.

I don't have direct experience in what you're asking for, so I'm going to go a bit sideways instead of giving you a direct answer. Feel free to ignore all this, because I realize it might be totally wrong for you.

Like you, I frequent the custom section of the AGF. I haven't been active in new commissions for quite a while, but I've noticed you've been acquiring some really great instruments. So, it makes me wonder what you're expectations are for this recording endeavor. Is a single mic (with a digital output) a good long term approach or will it become unused gear if you upgrade. Many who do video and audio recording (I only do audio) record each with separate gear and then combine the files post recording. If that's something you might want to consider, then a reasonable way to get into the audio end of recording might be a Zoom H5 portable recorder.

If you're recording guitar and vocals you may want to have two mics. Also, if you're recording solo acoustic guitar you might quickly move to stereo recording, and once again you'd need two mics.

Then again, maybe what you are looking for doesn't justify the time and money rabbit hole that this audio recording hobby can create. Your concept of an external mic feeding your phone may be the perfect solution.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-09-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:10 PM

Thank you Chuck, I appreciate all you said there. My goal is to make recording simple, but good. I am having a Wilborn built right now, and Ben posts these simple videos on his own that to me have a great quality and all he uses is his Apogee mic and an iPhone. So simple and yet to me, very high quality video and audio from such a simple set-up. It also is very easy to share on other media from your phone. People always want sound clips so I was looking for the simplest, quickest way to try and achieve that without getting too complicated. Unfortunately it seems that there is no Android equivalent to the Apogee, which I find a) amazing and b) quite disappointing.

Here is an example of what I am talking about with Ben:

Old 02-14-2018, 06:12 PM

This things pretty slick,

http://www.rode.com/microphones/videomicme

Rode videomic Me microphone, could they though of a better name?
Used on amazon for 35 bucks. Its good quality, 1/8th inch jack. I was planning on just recording to micro sd card on phone.

What software app are you using?
Old 02-15-2018, 04:18 PM

Yes, that one connects directly to the phone as well which I think would take away a lot from the sound quality once the phone is moved far enough away to take the video. Was hoping for a set-up as shown in Ben's video above with the mic set away from the video and close to the guitar for quality.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:08 PM

3.5mm male to female audio cable 6 feet or so should do the trick.
I was thinking the exact thing, not good having it attached directly to the phone.

Im not very tech savvy but this Galaxy s5 has turned out to be very handy.
I have no idea what bit rate and Khz they operate. If my mic wasnt buried in my car (road trip) I could record a small clip for you. Rode has a good name, they also have a usb mic that looks interesting, but I digress.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD