The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-03-2016, 04:09 AM

Default Introduction and Goya query

Hi

Newbie posting. Newbie to this forum but in my 60s and have been playing all types of guitar since I was about 8 years old. I have 27 'guitars' at home but that count does include an 1850s fretless banjo and a 1950s lap slide guitar.

I have played for the BBC and my main style is finger picking acoustic 6 strings like Gordon Giltrap, Ralph Mctell etc usually on my 1972 Yamaha FG-100

However my reason for joining the forum was that I bought a Goya nylon strung guitar yesterday. I read up about them and found out about the Swedish made one and the Yugoslavian made ones and even ones made in the US after Martin bought them out.

This one though has a green and black Guitarras Goya label with Modelo 104 and Made in Spain. Then "JT JUAN TEIJEIRO MUSIC CO LON E2"

I would like to know as much as possible about this, please, especially possible age and if allowed on this forum, value, as this was from the chariy shop where I work and I want to give them a fair price?

The strings are threaded through holes in the bridge and rather than being tied, the E-G strings have a black finishing bead on the end of them and the D-E have metal loops as on normal folk strings. I have never seen this before on a classical/flamenco guitar. There are also no fret markers on the face or side of the fingerboard.

I was so quick to post I have not taken any photos or looked up how to reference them for the forum.

Any info welcomed

TIA

Vigman

Last edited by vigman; 04-03-2016 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Welcome Vigman. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you with some info but it would probably be helpful if you'd post some pictures. Look under the FAQ's for instructions. You know the old adage, a picture's worth a thousand words.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:37 AM

Thanks, I have just posted 3 photos to the forum photo gallery titled: "Goya Classic Made In Spain M104", they are pending validation at the moment!

Vigman
Old 04-08-2016, 04:08 AM

Hi

Photos now showing:

http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo...2/IMG_1059.jpg

http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo...2/IMG_1060.jpg

Any thoughts on age, please?

Apart from no fingerboard markings there is no end piece for a guitar strap either.

TIA

Vigman
Old 04-08-2016, 04:22 AM

Classical guitars rarely have fingerboard markers or strap pins.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Classical guitars rarely have fingerboard markers or strap pins.
Interesting. When I was playing and studying for classical exams in the 60s, my guitars did have fingerboard markers. I can't remember the makes but they were good quality instruments.

Vigman
Old 04-08-2016, 05:09 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

The strings don't tell us much, unfortunately - there are a few manufacturers who make ball end strings for classical/nylon guitars, so it sounds as if someone has mixed a set of those (basses) with some "normal" nylon trebles, but they've used string beads to secure those instead of the more traditional tie. Hopefully some of our members can help you out - might have a bit more luck with the del camp forum as well, if you haven't tried there already.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:40 AM

I'm afraid I don't know much about Goya guitars either, but I have heard of them! I think they are, or were, generally student grade instruments, and I might be mistaken but I think I can see in your second picture (showing the label) that your guitar has a laminated top. Add this to the position markers and that seems to confirm its student level status.
It looks like a nice guitar though and if you are happy with it then that is all that matters.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:14 AM

Some exiting news! I have just spoken to Juan Teijeiro who imported these guitars and runs the London Guitar Studio.

The laminated top Model 104 was made in the early 1970s by the master craftsman Manuel Adalid (who Juan had just met up with at a music fair).

Although this was a student guitar it is quite a rare find as this maker is highly sought after!! Juan could not put a value on it.

You can see Manuel Adalid in his workshop here at 39:38:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQkc67CphM0

Vigman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical