The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-15-2016, 11:33 AM

Default Chet Atkins CE & CEC - Epiphone SST

In my search for a nylon string -principly for recording, I've begun considering the Chet Atkins Gibson CE (or CEC) solidbody Classical. -Surely their pickup system would sound good, one would think. (perhaps an ideal guitar to record with guitar modelling -like the Zoom A3 or Kemper?)

-As well to be considered, is the less expensive chambered bodied Epiphone SST Classic, that seems to be a bit of a CEC copy.

I've read on the web that the Godin Multiac is actually the CE & CEC's most direct decendant.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these sorts of nylons?
Old 03-15-2016, 11:42 AM

The Multiacs are MUCH better guitars, IMHO. The Epiphone models are just awful....sound like rubber bands.

If you want a truly natural sounding pickup, check out the Godin Duet Ambiance. The pickup system in those is the best acoustic amplification system I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-15-2016, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Has anyone had any experience with any of these sorts of nylons?
This Gibson Chet Atkins is the nylon stringer I've owned the longest.

I've recorded a lot with this guitar. Mostly in the good old "analog" days, with the guitar plugged in directly into my Tascam Porta 2 4 track cassette recorder (no amp). I got a great sound out of it that way, but I recorded it dry, and effected it with a sound processor.
As far as the guitars you mentioned are concerned, I would tend to agree with Mr. Beaumont. The Godin has a much better amplified sound imo, than these Gibsons. Mine is an early model too and the piezo style pickup they used then just sounds a little too quacky for my ears. That's why I never recorded it that way. The Godins of today sound much better in this regard.
I don't have any experience with the Epiphones so I can't comment on those. But if I were in the market today for such a guitar I would opt for the Godin.
Note though: I classify these guitars more as electrics than acoustics tone wise (solid body electrics in sheep's clothing ). So keep that in mind depending on what kind of sound or tone you're looking for. (i.e not the kind of tone that a classical purist would probably enjoy, but you can definitely play classical on them, as well as any other styles really. I like mine for a variety of reasons, not least of which is great playability. It's so easy on the fingers with super low action and no buzzing. It's a well made guitar in this regard.)

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-15-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post

I've recorded a lot with this guitar. Mostly in the good old "analog" days, with the guitar plugged in directly into my Tascam Porta 2 4 track cassette recorder (no amp). I got a great sound out of it that way, but I recorded it dry, and effected it with a sound processor.
As far as the guitars you mentioned are concerned, I would tend to agree with Mr. Beaumont. The Godin has a much better amplified sound imo, than these Gibsons. Mine is an early model too and the piezo style pickup they used then just sounds a little too quacky for my ears. That's why I never recorded it that way. The Godins of today sound much better in this regard.
I don't have any experience with the Epiphones so I can't comment on those. But if I were in the market today for such a guitar I would opt for the Godin.
Note though: I classify these guitars more as electrics than acoustics tone wise (solid body electrics in sheep's clothing ). So keep that in mind depending on what kind of sound or tone you're looking for. (i.e not the kind of tone that a classical purist would probably enjoy, but you can definitely play classical on them, as well as any other styles really. I like mine for a variety of reasons, not least of which is great playability. It's so easy on the fingers with super low action and no buzzing. It's a well made guitar in this regard.)
Is this Gibson Chet Atkins nylon stringer an old SST, a CE or CEC or some other Gibson Chet Atkins nylon string model that I haven't yet learned of ?

-Today I just learned of newer Gibson Chet Atkins STUDIO CE & Gibson Chet Atkins STUDIO CEC (Montana nylons) -they're expensive but seem quite good going by what you can read.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclectic Guitar View Post
Is this Gibson Chet Atkins nylon stringer an old SST, a CE or CEC or some other Gibson Chet Atkins nylon string model that I haven't yet learned of ?

-Today I just learned of newer Gibson Chet Atkins STUDIO CE & Gibson Chet Atkins STUDIO CEC (Montana nylons) -they're expensive but seem quite good going by what you can read.
Mine is officially a Gibson Chet Atkins CEC model, all solid wood with spruce top and all mahogany back, and equipped with a multi-element piezo bridge pickup with a battery-powered preamp. (9V, which fits under a cover plate in the back). It was made in Nashville in 1987. (I'm sure about that because of the serial number).
At that time, if I recall correctly, they had two models. A CE, and a CEC. The CEC (like mine) had the 2" flat, non-radiused classical type neck, whereas the CE had a narrower 1.75" radiused neck more like today's typical crossovers. That's what I recall anyway.

Those Montana models sound interesting. If they are pricey though, I would try them out first before buying, if you can. I'll tell you, if the playability on those is anything like mine, and they were able to improve on the pickup tone (i.e. fatten it up some), that could be a heckuva guitar! But I just don't enough about these newer Gibson derivatives to give you any help on that.
The word "Studio" in the model number worries me a bit. Did they lessen them somehow material wise, similar to the Les Pauls? (Just curious. I have no idea. I used to own a LP Studio Lite that I didn't care for too much. It's long gone).

- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

Old 03-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

I've owned the Gibson Chet Atkins CE and CEC and a several of Godin models. For recording purposes I would vote for the Godins (my favorite is the ACS SA model). I have never owned an Epiphone version of the Chet Atkins CE, CEC or SST, but I have played them and they were not very desirable in my opinion. Usually I think the Epiphone versions are pretty good, but not in this case.

BTW, I really like the old Chet CE and CEC models, just not as much as the Godin for recording.

Demo of Godin ACS SA

YouTube Site

Last edited by CCFingerstyle; 03-15-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:14 PM

here is my 91 chet atkins ce. it is a great machine. sure, it uses ancient technology but it still is a lot of fun to play, especially with the nylon strings.
i haven't played the godin.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-16-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post

oh man, too nice for words. I think about recording again maybe someday. I think I would like to just plug into something and not have to worry about the home studio accoustics.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimeblues View Post
oh man, too nice for words. I think about recording again maybe someday. I think I would like to just plug into something and not have to worry about the home studio accoustics.
Yeah, it makes me nostalgic too just thinking back on those old days. That guitar is the one I've owned the longest. Almost 30 years now. It's been a great friend. I still have all that original recording gear too. Mostly hold on to it for sentimental reasons. Too many good memories to just mothball the stuff. That's when I first got into recording, and was flying blind pretty much the whole time. Learning as I went along. It was a blast.
Not knocking the digital age! Just reminiscing about a good time gone by.

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

Old 04-01-2016, 12:58 PM

I do not have any experience with these, the Rick Turner Renaissance nylon is the same sort of concept as the Gibson and Epiphone Chet Atkins nylons. Michael Kelly has a less expensive Turner designed/collaboration called the N6. I think prices are around 700 for the N6 and about twice that or so for the real Turner model. The Yamaha NTX700 has a very nice electronic system onboard and comes with a sound hole cover to keep feedback at bay from the thin hollow body. It is pleasant to play acoustically as well. I was so close to buyin an Epiphone SST nylon just before they discontinued them. Overall, I think it best I waited and got the Yamaha. I heard a fellow playing a Godin in a music store a while back. Sounded fantastic. He is a very good player and was playing some smooth jazz type stuff.

Last edited by gmr; 04-01-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:06 PM

I have owned a Rick Turner Renaissance and I currently own a Yamaha NTX 1200R. The Rick Turner was easy to play and sounded pretty decent. That said, I found the amplified sound of the Yamaha to be superior. Mind you, that all the Yamaha NTX/NCX line have the same amplification system. I do play the Yamaha through a Kemper Profiler and I'm very pleased with the tone.

As far as the un-amplified tone, not so much but it can be played without an amp i.e. it sound like a overbuilt classical guitar which it is. That said, the Rick Turner is basically a hollow telecaster so the un-amplified nylon tone sounds like such. I did change the Yamaha's nut and widen the string spacing and it is an easy guitar to play.

I have a hand built classical that I installed a Lyric in and I prefer the Yamaha's tone over the Lyric.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical