The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-11-2014, 10:21 PM

Default Newbie!

Hello everyone,

I have been registered since October and have been "playing" guitar for 8 months now. Although I visit these forums a quite often, this is my first post. I have learned quite a bit through all you regular posters out there....so first I would like to say thank you for all the guitar education that y'all have provided!

So onto what I can do so far. I have loosely followed Justin's guitar website (which I learned about here). I can play the A, A min, C, D, D min, E, E min, G, Fmaj7 and G7 chords so far, I can incorporate those chords into progressions. I can strums 8 notes decently as long as the tempo is not too fast. 16 notes still confuse me.

Right now I am working on the B7 and C7 chords....these are the first chords where I am having to use my little finger, so far it is not wanting to cooperate! I am also working on what I call alternate bass note strumming, I think the correct term is 2/4 but I'm not 100% positive.

I recently learned to play along with my very first song (Seminole Wind)....which I was very excited about. This brings my to one of a few questions I have....

I am a traditional American country music fan and am having a hard time finding songs I can play along to the record with. Is this something that you have to wait until you progress to a certain level? For instance, One of the songs I am learning is Small Town Saturday night by Hal Ketchum. I am able to somewhat play along if I just use down strums but I get lost when it comes to incorporating a strumming pattern.

Also, I think I may be on the hunt for a new guitar. I have an Epiphone DDR-225. Its a decent guitar for starting on, it has a solid top (which I learned about the value of on this website). Also I like the fact that the back of the neck is a satin finish and not gloss, I like the feel of it. However, I am finding I do not like the tones of the high strings from it....to my ear they are too pitchy. SO I guess my question is what are the pros and cons about getting a cutaway guitar?

Thanks for reading,
Jawz
Old 08-11-2014, 11:28 PM

You'll get some good posts here, but since I'm the only one awake, I'll give you a response.

First of all, welcome!

Second, you are already doing well. You've learned the logical first chords. I would add a Bm next, and make sure to learn G with the two main different fingerings.

You have the key of C: C Am Fmaj7 Dm G Em
and A: A D E
and G: G Em C Am D (need Bm!)

These plus a capo, and you can do a million songs. Really, more chords are better, and it is good to begin to get your pinky involved, but you have your hands full to digest really being able to play cleanly and quickly all the chords you are already working with. Go metronome!

I find all strumming hard to master (I mainly play with fingers) so, give yourself time. Really, it sounds like you are on the right track.

I personally don't play above about the 10th fret very often, so a cutaway has little value to me at this point. For what you are doing, it doesn't sound like it would be of value to you yet, either. The guitar you have is probably not holding you back that much, really, but if you can easily, comfortably afford a better one, get the best you can so afford one--sounding better can really motivate you. When I bought a fine guitar it challenged me to be worthy of it. In the meantime, try different strings, just to see whether you can get a sound you like better--it's cheaper than a new guitar. Plus, as fast as you are advancing, you may choose a guitar for yourself more wisely next year than right now.

Justinguitar is great, but I'm sure you'll get the advice to follow that you should take lessons if you can--even on skype. Especially if you have never had them, you need that.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 08-12-2014, 07:51 AM

Great suggestions - I would echo the lesson idea... there's so much about guitar playing that's not obvious. Regarding the strumming falling apart - part of it is getting your right hand to do the rhythms automatically while you concentrate on other things, like changing chords, and for that you need repetition. You can do it while watching TV (with the strings muted with a piece of paper)... I'm doing something similar right now to try and get the alternating thumb to act independent of the fingers..... 10 mins or so every night while my brain is occupied elsewhere..
Old 08-12-2014, 08:04 AM

welcome, Jawz...you are going to be amazed at your skill level a year from now, if you keep going, Good luck!

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write