The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebyrek View Post
I've recently been getting into altered tunings and so far have been experimenting with open D major chord tuning. It's almost the same as DADGAD, but the G is flattened by half step. The hardest part is relearning all the note names

The pieces posted in this thread are beatiful!
Leo Kotke's "Corrina Corrina" uses this tuning. Beautiful!
Old 08-03-2014, 11:37 AM

I had a stroke Two months ago and lost both quickness and strength in my left hand. I've been playing in DADGAD and its cousin DGDGCD since.It may be cheating but at this point cheating is about all I can do. I can play some standard tuning on electric but it is coming slowly. I considered it a victory yesterday to play a f style barre chord at the third and fifth fret. First fret is more difficult but will come soon.I know hundreds of songs using D, G, A7, Em and C chords so DADGAD works .Been playing forty years .
Old 08-05-2014, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
...and might I add that the previous replier has a TERRIFIC BOOK called "Understanding DADGAD For Fingerstyle Guitar"... Doug Young has written a wonderful book on this tuning; not a book of songs, but more on the order of the old adage, "...teach a man to fish...".

It's well worth the $$ and effort to go through this book if you are serious about playing in DADGAD...

Of course, it's a lot of fun to just "mess around with" as well... lots of cool sounds!
Thanks for the recommendation. Love Dougs work so found a small teaser of the book and now have made my purchase, Looking forward to giving a good thorough read.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write