The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-03-2012, 03:14 PM

Default Kenny Rankin Style??

I'm a long time Kenny Rankin fan, but there really isn't much out there about how he played. It was both melodic and intensely rhythmic and his changes were very unique. Does anybody have any tips or advice about how to approach his style?

I'd be very thankful!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 AM

Fancy seeing another Kenny Rankin fan... not too many around I gather.

Being mostly a fingerpluck player, I started in high school (I'm now 52) with James Taylor and Jim Croce songs. Then really got obsessed with Rankin, beginning with a tedious self-study of Blackbird, and later Pussywillows.

Can't really provide a simple answer to your question, except that it takes a lot of good ear, patience, and determination to take on his songs. With digital media nowadays, it sure is a lot easier to learn by ear the chords/tabs compared to my high school days with a casette player. But you should already be comfortable with fingerstyle to learn his songs. Otherwise, strumming Haven't We Met (which is the latest I've learned some 3 months ago) may be a compromise.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:07 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the response. I saw him live about a year before he passed away, and it was just amazing. He played so rhythmically and fast, and then could switch and play with such soul. I just love the way he laid the groundwork for his amazing singing.

I'll take your approach and just spend some time listening and try and take it from there.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

I really have nothing to add as far as technical advice, but I didn't want you two to feel you were the only Kenny Rankin fans around. I absolutely love his playing and singing! I was fortunate enough to open some shows for him in Florida during the mid 70"s and was stunned by his talent and soul. He was an original - which in my opinion is the highest compliment for an artist.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

I have nothing to add as far as guitar technique, but I have been a longtime fan of his music. More of us out here than I thought!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 AM

really nice to hear that. hard to imagine such guitar and singing style wouldn't have taken a strong following...
Old 07-12-2012, 03:00 PM

I've read that he was on Carson more than almost any other guest, and yet I have had no luck finding any footage of any of his performances. Do any of you know of any? I've scoured the internet looking for any old live performances of his and haven't had much luck.

Glad to hear from some other Kenny Rankin fans. Normally I mention his name and nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutheit View Post
I've read that he was on Carson more than almost any other guest, and yet I have had no luck finding any footage of any of his performances. Do any of you know of any? I've scoured the internet looking for any old live performances of his and haven't had much luck.

Glad to hear from some other Kenny Rankin fans. Normally I mention his name and nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks!
This rather casual footage on youtube was what inspired me recently to learn Haven't We Met --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGkvY...eature=related.

Another live footage on Blackbird --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFv2f...eature=related, though the version I self-learned was from his much much earlier album.

On the right-hand margin of the page are other possible resources. Enjoy!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:51 PM

Oh yeah I totally forgot about him. Great and different feel.

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)
Old 07-28-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbutch View Post
This rather casual footage on youtube was what inspired me recently to learn Haven't We Met --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGkvY...eature=related.
Nice! Love Kenny Rankin and love that song!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbutch View Post
really nice to hear that. hard to imagine such guitar and singing style wouldn't have taken a strong following...
I like Kenny Rankin's music quite a bit but then again I was born and raised in Cebu where everyone was/is a fan.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutheit View Post
I'm a long time Kenny Rankin fan, but there really isn't much out there about how he played. It was both melodic and intensely rhythmic and his changes were very unique. Does anybody have any tips or advice about how to approach his style?

I'd be very thankful!
I love Kenny's music...
I think, his roots were probably scat singers. Of course, one must possess a very good ear and have a good vocal range to sing those improvisational arrangements he had created. As for chords...as far as I can see from the youtube videos, they are well chosen, but not that complicated. In a way the kind of the voice leading James Taylor uses. As for Kenny's rhythmic playing, that's a whole other story... I believe, that would be very difficult to copy, because, that came from inside of him (I think, he probably couldn't have played the same song twice exactly the same in that regard) and it was related closely to his vocals at the moment.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:24 PM

I am a big fan of Kenny Rankin also, here is my favorite video of him, way back in the 1960's, just Kenny and his guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKMUQXofa3E

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 08-10-2012, 06:11 PM

I loved Kenny Rankin, too. I saw him about two years or so before he died. He was just great. He gave a performance of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" that brought the house down.

I'd love to play like him too. I'm one of those lazy people who loves to buy "authentic guitar transcription" sheet music, but I guess Rankin didn't have quite enough mass appeal to merit that. Too bad!

I don't suppose anyone knows of Rankin tabs out there?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 PM

I'm another huge life-long fan of Kenny Rankin and was very fortunate to see him perform here in SoCal a year or so before his passing. His vocal ability was brilliant and he could accompany himself equally well on guitar and piano. What a talent!

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical