The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-28-2016, 10:02 PM
Eric Skye

Default My Old Yamama Brought Back To Life

As a 50th birthday present to myself, I had this old classical guitar brought back to life, after having been in disrepair and storage for many years. My father gave it to me when I turned fifteen. It wasn't my first -I'd been fooling around on guitar for five or six years- but it was my main guitar when I got serious. I spent countless hours on the edge of my bed with this guitar in front of Guitar Player magazines, the Carcassi book, the Joe Pass book, cassettes of Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton every where, scale and chord books… The few times I wasn't practicing, my father would remind me that he “paid a hundred and twenty dollars for that thing and I need to get my butt back in there.” That's what he could afford, and I know he was proud of himself for doing that for me. Dad passed away just a few years later, but I was glad he got to see me working hard for a while there. By any objective measure this is not a good guitar -laminated woods, weighs a lot, no sustain, not much volume… but to me it'll always be an exciting new world of possibilities.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:31 PM

Great story. Thanks for sharing
Old 04-01-2016, 12:33 PM

Thanks for sharing that story. There are times when the simplest of things can become priceless.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:39 AM

I've just seen your guitar photo and I've just read your story.

Both are beautiful.

Here's wishing you lots of enjoyment with that old guitar for many years to come...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical