The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-26-2016, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

The price you're seeing for the 000-C is likely MAP (minimum advertised price). The MSRP for this is $2499, which means it can be purchased at some dealers for as low as 60% of that, or around $1500. When you consider it's American made, has electronics, and comes with a lifetime warranty, the extra $ for the 000-C doesn't seem that bad to me. However, if you don't need electronics, don't mind a guitar built in China, and would prefer a true classical, then the Córdoba sounds like a better fit & value for you.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 04-27-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
But the Taylor isn't a classical guitar, it's a hybrid. It's bracing and nut width are not that of a true classical.
That was what I said in my post. The only reason I even brought up Taylor was the cost factor.

Nick
Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibanaChosin View Post
When I first saw Elderly's YouTube video for this Martin nylon string guitar, I thought to myself, "This might be a great option for my first nylon string guitar!" Then I saw the price on their website:

http://www.elderly.com/catalogsearch.../?cat=0&q=000C

Ouch. I'm baffled as to why it's worth that kind of money with a Richlite fretboard and solid sapele back and sides. I can get a lovely looking and sounding Cordoba C10 for about half the price:

http://www.elderly.com/instruments/a...r-and-case.htm.

The Martin has electronics (which I'd actually rather not have), but that can't add all that much to the price.
Stating the obvious: play the Martin next to a C10. That is the only way you will find the right answer for you. I played all the major brand crossovers before settling on a Pono. They all have their own tonal signature, some bring brighter and more responsive than others.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 04-27-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
The price you're seeing for the 000-C is likely MAP (minimum advertised price). The MSRP for this is $2499, which means it can be purchased at some dealers for as low as 60% of that, or around $1500. When you consider it's American made, has electronics, and comes with a lifetime warranty, the extra $ for the 000-C doesn't seem that bad to me. However, if you don't need electronics, don't mind a guitar built in China, and would prefer a true classical, then the Córdoba sounds like a better fit & value for you.
I was comparing all Elderly prices, the only place I'll buy a guitar.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was comparing all Elderly prices, the only place I'll buy a guitar.
Martin dealers are only permitted to advertise MAP; however, if you call and ask them for their best price, they will come down considerably (although Elderly not as low as some other dealers). FYI, I bought a Martin OM-18 Authentic 1933 at Elderly in 2014 for about 63% of MSRP, just to give you an idea. If that still holds true today, they should be able to sell you the 000-C for under $1600.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 04-27-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Martin dealers are only permitted to advertise MAP; however, if you call and ask them for their best price, they will come down considerably (although Elderly not as low as some other dealers). FYI, I bought a Martin OM-18 Authentic 1933 at Elderly in 2014 for about 63% of MSRP, just to give you an idea. If that still holds true today, they should be able to sell you the 000-C for under $1600.
While that may be true, the same could be said of the other two Martins that I own and bought from them. I just don't get what makes this particular Martin so much more expensive than my other two. It seems to me that it should be closer in price to my DRS1 than my 000-15M.

I'll have to give it a try and see how it sounds, but I'm skeptical.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
This is exactly my point. I own a Martin DRS1 and a Martin 000-15M. They were each much less expensive than the 000C. I have no complaints about the performance or quality of the Richlite fretboard on my DRS1, but there's no denying that using that and sapele is done to reduce the price of a guitar. It seems to me that the 000-15M should be more expensive than the 000C, not less.
That was my initial thought. Personally, American-made or not, I think the asking price for this guitar is way too much. Larrivee is able to turn out good quality all-solid guitars in the US for a fraction of this price; why can't (won't) Martin? My suspicion is that they're dining out on our zeal to have their prestigious name on our headstocks. Count me out!
Old 04-28-2016, 08:42 AM

as I said earlier, I think the 000c is overpriced, but not as much over priced as some are saying. If you can find a nylon string, slot head Larrivee around 2g's, buy it. at least, I've not seen on that low.

Martin's pricing, like all other domestic builders has risen sharply in the last few years.

I bought a new Martin 000c-16sgtne about 12 years ago. I paid $1350 for it. You can find new 000c's out there for $1600 or so. I don't see where the increases are that much out of line. I sold my 000c-16sgtne for $1200 and I looked like it had been gigged for 11 years.

my 000c-16sgtne, like it's rosewood sister, the 000c-16srne were excellent crossover guitars. The 000c has a newer and better pick-up but is lacking a lot of the appearance frills. I imagine this was to keep the cost down.

The domestic guitars just cost more. The 000c might cost more for Martin to produce due to the nylon strings. It is not their emphasis but I wish they would expand the nylon line like Taylor has.

I wonder how many have played one of these crossover guitars. The are far from a classical guitar in more ways than nut width.
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 04-28-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bange View Post
I wonder how many have played one of these crossover guitars. The are far from a classical guitar in more ways than nut width.
Yes. For better or worse depending on your POV.

hunter
Old 04-29-2016, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bange View Post
very happy with my 000c. I bought it new, 2 years ago for about 60% of what is asked for them today.
Martin prices have really gone up.

I do need a pick up and the Fishman works great. The guitar sounds great with or without it, however.
The Richlite finger board has not been a problem and shows no wear after about 30 gigs a year for a couple of years. Rosewood would not do as well...ebony might.

It has held up so well that I added a 12 string with the same features. The reality is that my Martins are worth almost what I paid for them right now after 2 years of gigging.

The truly excellent Cordoba C-9/10's would lose 50% of their value right after purchase. It is sad that it is that way but it's true.

The Martin list and street price is way too high for this model but when you look at Taylor nylons, it is comparable.

I agree about the pricing being too high but not all folks buy Martins because of the gold label on the peg head...just rambling...some of Cordoba's crossovers are great but not all. Martin's and Taylors are much more consistent from guitar to guitar. I would never mail order an Asian guitar without playing it first.
Funny you mention that. I've owned seven Cordoba instruments. Only the first was bought from a store I was visiting. Every other one has been purchased without playing first from internet retailers. Most of the big internet retailers give you a 30-45 day trial period. I've never had or wanted to send one back. In fact, though three of the models were Spanish-made guitars (FCWE, FCE55, and FCE55 Limited), my favorite two were made in China (C12 SP and GK Pro). So I have ZERO reservations about mail ordering Asian guitars. In fact, my C12 ranks right up there with the individual luthier-made instruments I've played in terms of tone, volume, responsiveness, and fit & finish. I've had it for four months and just last night I was staring at the label, marveling that such an amazing tone could come from a Chinese instrument. I was trying to imagine what the workshop that it came from must look like.

As for the American Martin and Taylor nylon crossovers that I've played (with the notion of buying if I liked them)... I didn't care for them. They seemed dead sounding unplugged. And the Breedlove Master Class Bossa Nova that I had was much livelier, but cost more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical