The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-06-2014, 08:25 PM

Default A Major Chord

What are the benefits of playing open A major using a barre? I can get it to ring out nicely with three fingers, but having a heck of a time doing it with a barre.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:30 PM

The barre isn't open A anymore, the voicing changes slightly. I use the barre version when I need those melody notes (within reach) that I can get from the open A shape
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 PM

I *think* he means why use one finger to hold down the D-G-B strings for an open A rather than use three fingers.

I use three fingers most of the time.
Index on G string for A
Middle on D string for E
Ring on B string for C#

The only time I barre those three strings for an open A are when I want to grab the A at the 5th fret on the E string with my pinky. I need to fret that string in this case because using my index finger to barre the D-G-B strings makes me touch/mute the E string (I can bend my index finger up away from the fretboard at a sharp enough angle to avoid touch the E string.)

Cary

PS. I thought of another time I barre the open A. When playing "Galway Girl" there's a fairly quick change from Bm, to A, then to G. It's easier to just barre the open A. I just don't strum the last (E) string when I do that. I guess I could try the "E" shaped A at the 5th fret though.....
Old 08-07-2014, 01:13 AM

For me, it purely depends on context. If I need to hear the 1st string ringing clearly or I am lingering on the chord for any substantial amount of time i'll often fret with 3 fingers. Conversely if I'm passing on the chord or not needing the 1st string to sound at all then I'll use an index barre to cover the 3 strings (I do angle my finger so the first string can ring - but sometimes my position isn't great so can be risky ).
Old 08-07-2014, 03:12 AM

When playing an A chord, you bar the second fret so you can add the fifth and third frets of the first and second strings to the chord.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:55 AM

Yes, I often barre strings 4-3-2 to add other notes as stanron describes. Not only the upper root and b7 he mentions, but various other embellishments: sus4, add9, 6th, maj7, a blues b3 (fret 5 on 3rd string), an extra 5th (fret 5 string 2), etc. There's all kinds of cool licks you can play with that set of notes on the A shape foundation.

Even if I don't want those additions, I can bend my index up at the 2nd string to allow the 1st string to ring if I need it. Otherwise it doesn't matter if the top E is muted. (If you barre strings 4-3-2-1, of course, you have an A6 chord.)
Old 08-07-2014, 04:29 AM

Anyone else find it easier to barre and bend with their middle finger? It's not convenient so I use my index... Just curious
Old 08-07-2014, 04:42 AM

I have fairly large hands and my fingers can bend back a little bit at the first joint. I always play it as a barre because it's a heck of a lot easier for me. Usually I just slap down my middle finger. If I'm jumping up to a B from there I might use my ring finger.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Guest4562

I have several ways I play the open A, one of which is the index barred across the three strings if I want to use other fingers to fret notes, play a run, etc. It's great to have options.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:33 AM

rock and roll, baby!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write